• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How we stop Josh Johnson

PhillyB

Josh Johnson is really the only bright spot of Tampa Bay's anemic offense thus far. Their ground game has been largely inept, but Johnson has stepped up and and breathed life into the passing game... he's particularly dangerous for his accuracy outside the pocket, his speed and mobility.

The Panthers are, historically,

1) Awful against mobile quarterbacks

2) Awful against tight ends

3) Awful against dink n' dunkers (see: Garcia, Jeff)

Given we face a mobile quarterback with a star tight end who he can dink and dunk passes to, how do we stop them?

I am no coach, but I think the answer lies in Thomas Davis. Not only is he an outstanding leader beginning his coming-out year, but he's extraordinarily fast for a linebacker. Remember how we finally stopped Vick back in the torturous flogged-by-atlanta days? Thomas Davis played the roll of QB spy, planting Vick's dirty-bird ass in the turf over and over.

Apply the same template here. Use Davis' speed and pursuit to negate Johnson's ability to squeeze outside the pocket. As soon as he makes a break for it, put that clown in the dirt.

Makes sense. Will it happen? It remains to be seen.

I like how we applied pressure on the QB against the 'skins last game which in turn helped in coverage. Why do I have a feeling we will drop back in a zone waiting for them to make a mistake? Pressure up the middle really helped Pep and the outside rush, I say bonerush him!!

Well the first goal against the bucs is to stop the run, and force the bucs to throw. If we can get them into obvious passing downs, then we can employ 4 DEs to chase Mr. Mobile around.

Another way to strike terror into the heart of the bucs QB is to fire-zone blitz. If you were the bucs QB, and you saw Davis and Beason coming, with Peppers firing through the A-gap, and the other DE dropping back to cover your hot read, you'd sh!t yourself. I think we fire-zone blitzed twice in the first half of the Dallas game. Worked the first time, but the second time Dallas ran the ball and got like 10 yards. Meeks must have thought they were passing on that play, took a gamble, but guessed wrong. Then we stopped calling it, and Dallas got on track.

Josh Johnson is really the only bright spot of Tampa Bay's anemic offense thus far. Their ground game has been largely inept, but Johnson has stepped up and and breathed life into the passing game... he's particularly dangerous for his accuracy outside the pocket, his speed and mobility.

The Panthers are, historically,

1) Awful against mobile quarterbacks

2) Awful against tight ends

3) Awful against dink n' dunkers (see: Garcia, Jeff)

Given we face a mobile quarterback with a star tight end who he can dink and dunk passes to, how do we stop them?

I am no coach, but I think the answer lies in Thomas Davis. Not only is he an outstanding leader beginning his coming-out year, but he's extraordinarily fast for a linebacker. Remember how we finally stopped Vick back in the torturous flogged-by-atlanta days? Thomas Davis played the roll of QB spy, planting Vick's dirty-bird ass in the turf over and over.

Apply the same template here. Use Davis' speed and pursuit to negate Johnson's ability to squeeze outside the pocket. As soon as he makes a break for it, put that clown in the dirt.

Makes sense. Will it happen? It remains to be seen.

only problem is that JJ isn't a scrambling QB like Vick. JJ has been forced to run b/c of the lack of a pocket mostly created by 2nd team highschool allstart sean mahan. if mahan plays then he'll have to break the pocket. if faine is back i expect a more stable pocket and only 5-7 QB runs.

a fast spy is a good idea though. not sure if he can keep up with JJ but its a good start.

Regarding Tightends, we did a pretty good job against Cooley.

Yes we did, especially after he had to stay home and help block after Samuels went out.

We don't have to stop Johnson just limit the yards after the catch. He is only completing half of his passes for an average of about 1/2 yard more than they are getting running the ball (4.7 versus 4.2). Their offense is worst than ours and their defense is pitiful. As long as we don't give up big plays in special teams, avoid mistakes, pick sixes, costly penalties and the like, we will be fine. Mr Mobile has rushed for less than 100 yards for the season and minus sack yardage it is 70 yards.

If we lose this game it will be because we gave it away as we did at Dallas and tried to do against Washington. Johnson will not be a big issue with his 57 passer rating. On the other hand, getting some easy points off turnovers could help us out a lot. So far through 4 games our turnover margin is a -9. Ouch

Regarding Tightends, we did a pretty good job against Cooley.

Yeah this has really been overstated all week. He had to stay back and block when injuries hurt the line.

Either way I feel like we will be fine because JJ is still young and I feel like we will be able to get some pressure on him and force him to make some bad decisions. The only thing that bothers me is when he gets out of the pocket and gets downfield. Remember how there is that area right past the defensive line that always seems to be open. Its because we are protecting the deep ball and if JJ gets into this 5-7 yard zone that Matt Ryan used effectively then he could find some running room.

Archived