• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Panthers won’t go WR

unicar15

11 minutes ago, MountaineerChemist10 said:

Hurney has never drafted a single pro bowl WR (Smitty was drafted in '01 before Hurney was hired).  He's good at trades, sometimes FA & can find steals in the draft. He's been good at drafting o-linemen and defense in the 1st round so what's what i'm hoping for. NOT WRs

Pro Bowl? Brandon LaFell was by far the best WR that Hurney ever drafted and to be quite frank, he was the only NFL caliber WR that Marty Hurney ever drafted and he was almost universally hated by Panthers fans. That's how bad of a WR drafter Hurney was.

I'd like to go S or DE in the 1st and then WR in 2nd/3rd along with some FA additions. Only WR I'd like in the first is Ridley and he'll be long gone. Kirk is growing on me but I still see a 2nd rounder in him and if we took him in the 1st it'd be a reach.

I like to sign to 2 FA WR and put experience in the WR room .. Draft Defense with the 1st 2 picks (DE safety combo) get a TE RB combo in the 3rd..

We have enough  youth and development  projects at the wr position now.. We need Vet who can come in day one and start..

26 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

In the ideal world, I think we'd both sign a decent FA and still draft another WR with one of our top four picks. Devin Funchess is the only WR that we have who would be highly sought after by other teams and he wouldn't start for quite a few other teams.

You keep saying that.  Name ALL these teams where Funchess wouldn't start. I could see you espousing that narrative  before September,  but it's kinda tired and hollow right now.   Based upon last season, he'd probably start for most of them. Our problem is not Funchess,  it's every other receiver. 

3 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

I'd like to go S or DE in the 1st and then WR in 2nd/3rd along with some FA additions. Only WR I'd like in the first is Ridley and he'll be long gone. Kirk is growing on me but I still see a 2nd rounder in him and if we took him in the 1st it'd be a reach.

I wish this was a strong 4-3 DE class, but unfortunately it looks to be one of the weakest I can remember. I'd love a DE at #24 but I just highly doubt there's going to be any value there. Arden Key scares the hell out of me. He reminds me of Dion Jordan. Safety is a possibility. Unfortunately, I can't see Derwin James being there but I think Ronnie Harrison could be. My concern with Harrison is Minkah Fitzpatrick. Usually when two guys within the same unit on a college team are both considered elite, one of them was just feeding off of the other. There's certainly exceptions (OBJ and Jarvis Landry come to mind) but it seems to be a pretty common trend. Two prime examples from the past I can think of were Courtney Brown and Lavar Arrington at Penn State and Julius Peppers and Ryan Sims at UNC. Brown was actually considered to be the stud at Penn State and a lot of people even thought Arrington was riding his coattails. Boy were they wrong. Brown went #1 overall and Arrington went #2 overall. Brown was out of the league within six years and averaged barely 3 sacks per season. Arrington was a three time Pro-Bowler and three time second team All-Pro in his first four seasons before his career was derailed by injuries. We all know Peppers' story, but DT Ryan Sims was considered a beast in college too. He went #6 overall and was a total JAG in the NFL. He played 9 seasons but he was never an impact player.

1 hour ago, mikeholiday said:

There's a reason this chart stops at 2014. The last 3 years wrs in the first have been dog poo to put it lightly. Only Amari Cooper produced immediately and you see now 2 seasons later he looks iffy and can't catch a cold. Nelson Agholor just started to produce in year 3 when they moved him to the slot.

And in the 2017 draft Corey Davis and Mike Williams were injured alot and not only has Ross been injured but they're thinking about moving him to cb.

The norm was for wrs to start producing in year 3 unless he was a STUD. 2014 was an abnormal year with rookie wideout production and it looks like that trend of guys producing right away is going away. Of course you'll have outliers like Juju but his rookie season wasn't better than any first round wrs from 2014. 

9 minutes ago, top dawg said:

You keep saying that.  Name ALL these teams where Funchess wouldn't start. I could see you espousing that narrative  before September,  but it's kinda tired and hollow right now.   Based upon last season, he'd probably start for most of them. Our problem is not Funchess,  it's every other receiver. 

Atlanta, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Miami and Minnesota are five right off the top of my head. 

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wish this was a strong 4-3 DE class, but unfortunately it looks to be one of the weakest I can remember. I'd love a DE at #24 but I just highly doubt there's going to be any value there. Arden Key scares the hell out of me. He reminds me of Dion Jordan. Safety is a possibility. Unfortunately, I can't see Derwin James being there but I think Ronnie Harrison could be. My concern with Harrison is Minkah Fitzpatrick. Usually when two guys within the same unit on a college team are both considered elite, one of them was just feeding off of the other. There's certainly exceptions (OBJ and Jarvis Landry come to mind) but it seems to be a pretty common trend. Two prime examples from the past I can think of were Courtney Brown and Lavar Arrington at Penn State and Julius Peppers and Ryan Sims at UNC. Brown was actually considered to be the stud at Penn State and a lot of people even thought Arrington was riding his coattails. Boy were they wrong. Brown went #1 overall and Arrington went #2 overall. Brown was out of the league within six years and averaged barely 3 sacks per season. Arrington was a three time Pro-Bowler and three time second team All-Pro in his first four seasons before his career was derailed by injuries. We all know Peppers' story, but DT Ryan Sims was considered a beast in college too. He went #6 overall and was a total JAG in the NFL. He played 9 seasons but he was never an impact player.

I could see one of James or Fitzpatrick falling (every year you've got a few unexpected falls) and I take either one at that spot, but yeah it is unlikely. Justin Reid could be another option there. And I could see one of Edmunds or Elliott slipping into the first round and being worth it there. 

I like Harrison, and I see what you're saying but you just have to evaluate every case individually. Those guys who busted I don't think they busted because they had a teammate they were riding off of but more just that their games didn't translate to the NFL as well due to several different factors that were all based on the individuals and not their teammates.

As for DEs, I agree it's not a very strong class but I do like some of the prospects. Key would have to interview extremely well and JR would have to be out of the picture and focused completely on the sale at that point (which I think is likely) but I don't see the same red flags in him as I do other players with off field concerns. Key is a legitimate top 5-10 talent and if we can get him at 24 and he works out that'd be absolutely HUGE. I like Davenport and Hubbard as well and I think any of those 3 could be worth our first pick.

1 minute ago, thomas96 said:

I like Harrison, and I see what you're saying but you just have to evaluate every case individually. Those guys who busted I don't think they busted because they had a teammate they were riding off of but more just that their games didn't translate to the NFL as well due to several different factors that were all based on the individuals and not their teammates.

@LinvilleGorge

And who knows, it could actually go the other way completely and Harrison turns into a stud perennial All Pro while Fitzpatrick busts...

Archived