• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

5 wide

Jeremy Igo

7 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

We need to go after 2 Free agent receivers, I don’t trust Samuel and Byrd staying healthy.

Watkins, Wallace, Lee should be our main targets. And if the Broncos release Emmanuel Sanders 

The sentiment is now that Elway will keep Sanders.  

Crief should be a target. 

1 minute ago, Cyberjag said:

Has WR ever been a priority for Hurney before?  He had Smitty and Moose for most of his initial stint, and a coach who would rather win with defense than by shooting match.  And I think that given the luxury of Steve Smith, it just wasn't a pressing need.

Funchess is no one's #1 receiver by choice.  We need to address that, I think.  I could see an Olsen-style trade, or maybe he makes a splash in FA.  But I doubt that, I think it's more likely he trades for someone who can be a legit #1.  So my five would look like this:

1. Trade/Free Agent
  2. Funchess
  3. Samuel
  4. Draft Pick
  5. Byrd and the huddle favorite when he gets hurt, then eventually Bersin

With that said, our top receiver will probably be CMC or Olsen.

This.  We also likely to target another pass catching TE to create mismatches.

17 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

We need to go after 2 Free agent receivers, I don’t trust Samuel and Byrd staying healthy.

Watkins, Wallace, Lee should be our main targets. And if the Broncos release Emmanuel Sanders 

what is a  healthy receiver? The Panthers can't seem to keep one... for years, fycking years.

26 minutes ago, top dawg said:

The sentiment is now that Elway will keep Sanders.  

Crief should be a target. 

I’m not that sold on Moncrief.

If Sanders won’t get cut, I’m hearing Maclin might so that’s another target. And we should be in the Martivis sweepstakes, he would be perfect in Carolina.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

This is a topic dedicated to figuring out who the 5 wide receivers for the 2018 Carolina Panthers should be.

The following reflects my initial thinking....

1. Funchess

2. Free Agent / Trade

3. Samuel

4. Draft pick

5. Byrd

Funchess, Samuel, and Byrd are the only guys worth keeping around. They would not clear the waiver wire. Guys like Duke and Ross can stay in the PS and develop. 

Yes, I have Hurney picking a receiver even though he has a horrible track record in that area. Hopefully the scouting department can sway Hurney 2.0 away from his own terrible instincts and onto a decent player. 

I had hoped Samuel would be a legit threat this season, but after missing most of last year and likely not ready to do much until well into training camp this year, I have my doubts. He is basically a rookie again this season.

As such , a legitimate NFL caliber receiver is needed opposite Funchess. The draft won't offer us that. Our only hope for anything approaching a respectable receivers corps is Hurndog landing a legit free agent or trading for a solid player.

You do know TEs are WRs as well.

I also corrected you list 

Olsen

Funchess 

CMC

2nd TE 

Samuel

Byrd 

11 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

I’m not that sold on Moncrief.

If Sanders won’t get cut, I’m hearing Maclin might so that’s another target. And we should be in the Martivis sweepstakes, he would be perfect in Carolina.

Moncrief could absolutely be the steal of free agency this year. His size,  speed and smoothness in his routes are still evident if not muted. Don't get it twisted, questionable QB play and an untimely collarbone injury really stunted his development. He is still young and talented.  I don't see a big problem with a high-reward-low-risk player like Crief.  

As for Bryant,  I said in another thread that I don't know how some of you get around the fact that this team is still Jerry Richardson's.  As such,  the man has said that his goal is to model his club after the Steelers. That being said,  if they're trying to jettison the much-troubled receiver, I just don't see J-Rich allowing that to happen. 

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Moncrief could absolutely be the steal of free agency this year. His size,  speed and smoothness in his routes are still evident if not muted. Don't get it twisted, questionable QB play and an untimely collarbone injury really stunted his development. He is still young and talented.  I don't see a big problem with a high-reward-low-risk player like Crief.  

As for Bryant,  I said in another thread that I don't know how some of you get around the fact that this team is still Jerry Richardson's.  As such,  the man has said that his goal is to model his club after the Steelers. That being said,  if they're trying to jettison the much-troubled receiver, I just don't see J-Rich allowing that to happen. 

If he tried to model the Panthers after the Steelers he failed miserably. His sentiment over success business plan is a complete opposite of everything the Steelers do. And the Steelers have carried Bryant for years through all his issues. IF they trade him, it’s because they can get value from him now and they are not signing any WR long term, with the money Brown is getting. 

We need to add a quality outside receiver in free agency and then try to sign a back up outside receiver in rounds 2-4.  I like Robinson (if he is fully recoverd), Watkins, Lee, or Wallace.

Starting outside receiver - Funchess

Starting outside receiver - Quality free agent

Back-up outside receiver - Rookie

Slot receiver - Samuel/Samuel

Back-up slot - Bryd/Samuel

Also I think we should draft a RB in an early round which would free up CMC to play receiver more.

I really don't see us signing 2 mid or high level free agent receivers.  We have enough needs elsewhere that we could spend that cap on DE, oline or safety.  If you spend substantial money on a second guy he needs to play.  I would think Funchess is set as one of the outside receivers, your second free agent would probably play slot.  Maybe I'm being optimistic but I think we can handle the slot between Samuel, Bryd, and CMC.

Samuels concerns me

maybe he can be coached up, don’t know, but he sure seems to catch balls against his body and not his hands and his hands do not appear to be particularly soft which with how Newton throws, is an interception or fumble waiting to happen

..and then, his injuries...they aren’t the one to two Week kinda injuries..., they are the one to two season type of injuries...really need this guy to produce 

Archived