• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Okay, I want Jaylen Samuels

PantherBrew

Homer warning: I am an NC State fan. 

Alright, now that is out of the way.  I really want the Panthers to draft Jaylen Samuels.  I have watched every game of his career, and I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of what he is capable of, however, I will admit that his skills could be never realized because of some drawbacks. 

First the pros, if you know anything about Jay Sam then you know he is versatile. Like he is the definition of the word.  Plays RB, FB, HB, TE, Slot, WR and he even threw some passes.  I know the NFL demands are unlike anything in CFB, but I don't think they would stop him from being used in these roles in the NFL.  State's Offense has been pretty good to great the last two season, mainly because Samuels can do so much.  Any time State needed a big play, run, or first down, he was their guy. He was an absolute touchdown machine. I feel like pairing him with CMC would give us one of the most versatile backfields in the league.  Also, with small gameday rosters, this versatility would allow to carry an extra player somewhere else. But my favorite thing about Jay Sam is his fire.  He will talk it up during the game, but I cannot ever remember him getting a penalty, but I know he has forced the other team to commit them. 

Now, here is what worries me, Jay Sam is quick, but he does not have top end straight line speed for a RB.  Now compare his numbers to a TE or a FB and they will look pretty good.  I am worried about his size for the TE position, he would probably be the smallest in the league.  But again, I think he may take a couple snaps a game at TE.  

So for all the positive about him, his weaknesses could become his undoing, but if a creative offensive coordinator could harness his abilities, I think he could be a contributor for a long time.  

But where to draft him? You can obviously tell that I am super high on Jay Sam, but I am not spending a super high pick on him.  However, if he is still there when our 3rd round comp pick is there, I would use that on him.  That is where most "draft experts" have him.  In the range of 3-5.  I will say, if the Patriots, Falcons, or Saints draft him then I will be devastated.  

I imagine team draft grades on him are all over the place. I'm sure some teams are likely struggling to figure out what he is at the NFL level. On paper he's too slow to play RB, he's too small to play TE, and a lot of teams don't even carry a FB.

But, I don't think versatility is ever a bad thing, particularly for a back up. With a 53 man roster the more versatility you can offer as a backup the more valuable you are.

I think the 3rd round is probably significantly over-drafting him because of the position fit issues already mentioned. I could be wrong, but I think he'll be available in the 5th if not even later.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I imagine team draft grades on him are all over the place. I'm sure some teams are likely struggling to figure out what he is at the NFL level. On paper he's too slow to play RB, he's too small to play TE, and a lot of teams don't even carry a FB.

But, I don't think versatility is ever a bad thing, particularly for a back up. With a 53 man roster the more versatility you can offer as a backup the more valuable you are.

I think the 3rd round is probably significantly over-drafting him because of the position fit issues already mentioned. I could be wrong, but I think he'll be available in the 5th if not even later.

Good points and fair. 

How valuable would a TE2/3, RB2/3, Slot, H-back, and special teamer be? I think it depends on if you see him as TE2 and/or RB2 then end of the 3rd is not bad value.  But if you see him closer to the TE3 or RB3 then the third is definitely too high. 

1 hour ago, ncfan said:

I like him but just not sure how he'll fit with Norv.

How Shula used Tolbert in that role catching passes. He wouldve been a Awesome fit.  But now dont know how Norv see's the way FB are supposed to be used

Assume he's a RB here, so competing with CAP for backup duties.  I saw reports around the combine that RB is the position the Panthers view him at anyway.  He seems more like a luxury pick to me but I can see the team having interest in him.  I could picture his presence in the backfield with McCaffery (like in that wishbone formation they'd occasionally use) and how that would give defenses absolute fits. 

A QB/RB, 2 RB/WRs, 1 TE/WR, 1 WR/ RB and a FB/TE.  Position-less football at it's finest!

5 minutes ago, Panthro said:

Watch him go to NE where they will just put him in a position to make plays...positon be damned

I said I would be mad if he went to NE, but I really wouldn't, it would be more jealousy.  However, my point still stands regarding ATL and NO. 

Archived