• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Another Day, Another WFNZ Debacle

NJPanthers12

3 hours ago, Reebis21 said:

I don’t disagree that Garcia has survived the firings when he shouldn’t have. All I’m saying is if u remove Bailey from the equation, Kroegs would still have his original time slot.

Bailey and Kroegs are both great hosts. They deserve to be kept apart and have their own show in my opinion.

Colin def quit, I know his brother. QCB was trash. Unfortunately Yarbs always let Frank walk all over him and didn’t have a strong enough personality to coexist. And Nate...let’s face it...he couldn’t hold Bailey or Kroeg’s jock when it came to knowledge or delivery. 610 has been a lot better since those ppl left, even if it meant replaying earlier segments. 

At the end of the day, I really can’t stand Frank. However, I call in most just to argue with him. So maybe that’s why he’s lasted so long. He gets the reactions.

I pretty much agree with this.  The thing that has always dragged Garcia down is that he trips over his words/thoughts a lot, so it makes him sound even dumber when he's the one trying to carry the show and do the all the promos, intros, transitions, etc. 

In the past, when they tried to pair him with a sidekick like Buckner or Yarbs, it just didn't work at all because Garcia had to carry the show.  And I liked Yarbs in his previous role on the Morning Sports Page, but the pairing with Garcia was cringe-worthy because they both tripped over their words so much. 

For that reason, Bailey is the perfect addition for Frank because he has a great radio voice and can do all the promos and transitions.  I'm actually more lukewarm about his opinions and commentary, but the value he adds with the rest balances out Garcia's "dumb jock" role well.  The show can still go off the rails when Garcia tries to get on a soapbox or just talk too much in general, but when he allows for a give and take with Bailey, it works much better.

16 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Peopl actually still listen to the radio? Do they do it while reading the daily newspaper?

I can't listen to talking and read at the same time; however I use iHeart radio and Sirius App since my antennae sucks and my DVD unit in my truck doesn't have Sirius capability. So, those are still considered radio. 

Move is tied to Kroeger doing more work with the Hornets which I imagine came open when Steve Martin retired. It's not a promotion / demotion; Hitman's an idiot thing. They just found a way to keep Kroeger around and let him expand his career at the same time (which he deserves). 

I am a big fan of WFNZ especially the work of Kyle Bailey and Kroeger. Really enjoy most of the guests hosts Kroeger has on throughout the week also. Lots of good insight. 

6 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I don't understand listening to sports talk radio period when there are podcasts out there with 1/10th the commercials. 

Convenience of getting in my car and turning the key and there it is. They also talk about things in real time as stories arise. Whenever I listen to a podcast about sports it feels like I am reading a newspaper a day later than when it was actual news. I've been listening to more and more though. 

I also wouldn't have known about what happens to my testosterone levels after 40 had it not been for the 1,000 Low T Center commercials that I hear on WFNZ each day. 

6 minutes ago, Johnny Rockets said:

Move is tied to Kroeger doing more work with the Hornets which I imagine came open when Steve Martin retired. It's not a promotion / demotion; Hitman's an idiot thing. They just found a way to keep Kroeger around and let him expand his career at the same time (which he deserves). 

I am a big fan of WFNZ especially the work of Kyle Bailey and Kroeger. Really enjoy most of the guests hosts Kroeger has on throughout the week also. Lots of good insight. 

The downside is when Eagles fans call in :thinking:

I know some people who work at entercom(owns WFNZ). FNZ is joke sports talk radio. Zero credibility. Im not a Kroeger fan but if he has any sense he will look for other opportunities elsewhere. Same with the other young guy they have paired up with meathead known nothing Garcia. 

If you are a UNC fan or alumn - I dont know why u would listen to FNZ. They are anti UNC Tar Heels. I had someone who works there with one of their programs look me in the face and tell me that over beers. They seek out negative attention regarding UNC and their objective is to piss off And bait UNC fans so they call their shows and load the lines. Its fuging pathetic. 

9 minutes ago, Johnny Rockets said:

I do not mean to come off condescending here, but I am telling you this is 100% inaccurate. This was a demotion. 

13 hours ago, NJPanthers12 said:

Makes zero sense. Either Garcia screws over people and WFNZ or he's that close to hitman or both.

they fired Colin but kept Nate. They fired Yarbs but kept Frank. They fired Nate and kept frank. They fired QBC and kept Kroegs. They could have put bailey and Kroeger together. 

Hitman is an incompetent moron who has hitched his wagon to brain dead Garcia and are going to destroy what is left or WFNZ.

I know for a fact that they fired that Nate douche. Word is he is a gigantic asshole. I believe they were going to fire Colin but gave him the option to resign when they shuffled their programming a few years ago. I know several people that work at Entercom Charlotte. They own 1110 WBT and 1079 The Link in addition to WFNZ. Entercom operates out of the same building with WBTV even though WBTV is owned by Raycom. 

You are correct that FNZ is a terrible station. Its a joke with zero credibility. I have mentioned thia before, but fnz is an anti UNC news outlet and they love nothing more than when something bad, negativity etc, is around UNC. We the Heels were surprisngly beat up by Texas AM in NCAAs this year, i didnt listen to station but I bet they spent 3x the amount of time talking about the loss than when UNC won the national title last year. Dont even get me started on how they went about covering the bogus academic fiasco UNC has had to deal with the past 7 years.  

2 minutes ago, NJPanthers12 said:

I do not mean to come off condescending here, but I am telling you this is 100% inaccurate. This was a demotion. 

It's fairly well known that Kroeger's love is the NBA / Hornets and he has been working his way into that market. Does pregame, did a little in game play calling, etc. Steve Martin retired and the door is now open. Think it was Kilgo on there a week or so ago who was busting his chops saying he knew he was taking the Hornet's job. Just makes too much sense while him getting demoted makes no sense. 

And there is also the explanations on twitter along with this:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article209616634.html

And after working in the midday for 12 years, Garcia admits he's a little nervous moving to the major afternoon drive slot. He said Kroeger's move to the mornings wasn't a demotion. He said it was meant to free up Kroeger for some outside opportunities — Kroeger currently does some work with the Charlotte Hornets NBA team — and Garcia is excited about his new opportunity.

9 minutes ago, Johnny Rockets said:

Where do you get that from? If it is, makes no sense to me either. 

Radio stations have to shuffle their line ups from time to time, especially local stations. Keep things fresh, etc.  On paper, it certainly looks like a demotion for Kroeger because he is moving to mid day and has to compete against ESPN radio, Jim Rome, etc. the commute home is the prime time slot. However, maybe he wanted to move as his career progresses and fnz is preparing for life without him.  I know folks over there and could def find out but honestly i dont really care that much.

download.jpeg.47145b5fcef6ba5e24d4c52fd5b12ed8.jpeg

This picture is one of the big reasons why I dislike Garcia..... dude played at UW, but he sports an Oregon hat. It would be like you played at NC State, but you rock the powder blue of Chapel Hill.  

And oh yeah, his takes are garbage and drama. Didn't he get popped for PEDs too??  

18 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Peopl actually still listen to the radio? Do they do it while reading the daily newspaper?

WFNZ is fine, but at 7 in my home, we switch it to a rival station for the Lone Ranger, Lassie, and Lawrence Welk.  Mock me if you will...gotta go.  Timmy fell into the well!!

image.png.66ee6d7cf651266c9bfa0cae1384a465.png

19 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

download.jpeg.47145b5fcef6ba5e24d4c52fd5b12ed8.jpeg

This picture is one of the big reasons why I dislike Garcia..... dude played at UW, but he sports an Oregon hat. It would be like you played at NC State, but you rock the powder blue of Chapel Hill.  

And oh yeah, his takes are garbage and drama. Didn't he get popped for PEDs too??  

I thought he was a coach at Charlotte Catholic?  This is going to hurt practice time.

Archived