• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith bullied Cam Newton his rookie season?

NJPanthers12

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Smitty was always a selfish :Eggplant_Emoji_Icon_42x42:.  I watcched him humiliate Dwayne Jarrett at OTAs when Jarrett was a rookie. Was he trying too develop him, or was he running off the competition? Who knows?

How did he humiliate him if you dont mind me asking?

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Smitty was always a selfish :Eggplant_Emoji_Icon_42x42:.  I watcched him humiliate Dwayne Jarrett at OTAs when Jarrett was a rookie. Was he trying too develop him, or was he running off the competition? Who knows?

Didn't beason get him pretty good a couple times too? I vaguely remember him saying something along the lines of "Oh don't worry we'll just wait all day for you to get lined up"

On 6/18/2018 at 10:52 AM, arbnranger said:

There has always been a bit of a grey area on what constitutes “rookie treatment/hazing/bullying” . 

Most times that is highly subjective and varies depending on the individual. 

Exactly. Most here have known the Smith was a huge poo-talker, and fiery as all hell. The only thing that is different now is this report or article uses the word "bullying". I don't buy for a second Smith "bullied" Cam in the sense many here think of as bullying. I do believe however that he talked a lot of poo, and likely made a lot of snide comments and such. That is simply an asshole! (ironically nearly everyone is coming down on Smith in this thread, but all wanted him to get a statue a few weeks ago)

2 hours ago, SCMunnerlyn1 said:

Didn't beason get him pretty good a couple times too? I vaguely remember him saying something along the lines of "Oh don't worry we'll just wait all day for you to get lined up"

Maybe, but Beason was  rookiie too and played a different position, so I doubt it was as bad.  I saw Smitty berating Jarrett so loud every player on the field could hear it--and it went on all day, it seemed.  I was standing in the shade drinking a bottle of water with Mike Craft (nice guy), and we commented on it.  He smiled worriedly and started shaking his head.  Jarrett was a kid then--maybe 21--and I wonder to this day if he did not take some big role in Jarrett's demise.

Glad he left and yes....he was an asshole. Don't care how many passes he caught or the size cajones he had on the field. Leave that on the field and be a decent person in real life. Football is not real life.

TBQH the Panthers' identity has always suffered because they identify as the victim rather than the aggressor.

They could have learned a lot, especially John Fox, about what it took to have a killer instinct and to have the ultimate desire and drive to succeed.

Rather, they wanted to cultivate a passive, family oriented, almost submissive mentality of "it is what it is" or even today's "bad day to have a bad day"

The clashes of Smitty were primarily because of this. It had to be amazingly and crushingly frustrating to see the obvious problems and nothing being done to fix them. The man WAS the front lines over and over and over, and we never gave him any good reinforcements.

At the end of the day, he rolled with a sub-par QB and supporting cast for years because he had to. I was likely just as pissed as him most of the time, and if you weren't, you were/are part of the problem.

I'm not saying we have to be the Raiders, but this whole "we're a family team that does things morally responsibly and don't have any internal problems, and we hope to compete well each game but if we lose, so be it" mentality should have already been exposed as a fraud to everyone now.

Either you want to run your football team like a business, or you're there to compete. In the end, for Smitty anyways, it turned into a business decision, as has been stated. That alone should tell you why we're constantly behind the curve, and even when we get close to greatness it is never enough. We'd rather outright cut HOF players because we can't bring ourselves up to their standards.

The Panthers need more Steve Smith's. Not less.

You can hate him all you want, but he WAS the Panthers for a decade, despite attempts at shining the spotlight on a "feel good QB story" guy who gave us great things, too, yes. But ultimately, it wasn't because of Steve Smith that we weren't competitive in that era. It was on ownership and coaching.

So if you want to hate someone for that decade you'll never get back, grab your pitchforks and gather outside other houses. We could have had several rings by now, but we lack everything that Smitty brought to the table.

Hell, even when Cam wants to get short with the press or show anger and frustration, some of y'all are quick to want to hate him too.

I'd rather Cam have nearly choked the life out of KB and it made him a better player in the end to see him turn into the complacent, no-drive player that he devolved into before we canned him.

We foster the good guy mentality too much, and it has a negative effect overall.

I'm not naïve enough to think we don't need guys like Luke here. But I've seen even him lose his cool enough that I hope he's about to knock out a guy for a missed assignment.

Is it the right thing to do? No. Obviously not. But, nobody here is a sinless saint either.

It's time to weigh the total contents of a person rather than isolated incidents.

6 hours ago, The Pieyed Piper said:

who cares? This is Cam's team and mgmt made the right decision.

why do you care so much that people are asking for the story? There's literally nothing going on right now, let us be entertained 

21 hours ago, 4Corners said:

I def saw Smitty get into Cam’s ear a couple of times that year. The NYG game is one. 

Yeah, followed by throwing him under the bus to the press after the game.

Smith sure was the perfect example to be able to preach to others about being a professional.

Archived