• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Falcons lost both their starting safeties. Buccaneers lost their safety to another dimension. Saints need secondary help. But Panthers signed Eric Reid.

Saca312

22 minutes ago, Sevy87 said:

Right now I’d bet my house on the 2 people coming back are Kalil & Searcy from IR. Once Reid works out. Barring injuries. Searcy will be mainly a backup & help to avoid concussions.

Being a backup might help.  I just think he's too fragile.

Granted, outside of Kalil, Williams and Searcy there's not a whole lot to get excited about.  I don't think anyone's all that primed for the return of Kevon Seymour.

9 hours ago, Saca312 said:

It's a great day in Panthers history when nearly all of the NFC South needs safety help in any form or way, and somehow we're the only ones to pull the trigger. In fact, given our history of being fine with poor safety play, it's fair to assume we would've been the last to even consider safety help in the division. Let alone whatever "political baggage" he has going on.

Yet here we are. A fantastic good safety coming off a career year in his prime playing for us. Not caring one bit about whatever politics he associates with or how he approaches it. 

Just plain old signing someone who'll make a difference for our defense and elevate everyone's play.

Good job Panthers.

Good signing, looks like a solid player and:

"A fantastic good safety coming off a career year in his prime playing for us. "

Career year? He missed 3 games and had worse numbers than in his rookie year, even if you extrapolate them out to a full 16 games. How is that a career year?

Might also point out that he's had 3 INTs in 3 years. Ended up on IR each of the last two years. That's not fantastic good.

Um, no. As already elaborated on by a fellow Saints brethren, we don't need secondary help. We need CB2 help. A 215 pound safety with a 4.53 40 yard dash doesn't help with that.

Atlanta? Yeah, considering they're just looking for warm bodies at this point.

6 hours ago, rbsponsel52 said:

Saints fans are already wishing Reid was in N.O. yet some of them say Reid is washed up pretty much. Some of their comments on him are:

He is a SS/LB combo, horrible in coverage against WR ‘s and catch first TE’s which is why he got moved to LB in SF so he wouldn’t be picked on so much in pass coverage. He will be good for them against the run justvas he was at LSU. But on 3rd down if he is in there I see us trying to get him stuck on Kamara or Watson which we will abuse for big yards as he will either get flagged or completely whiff in coverage.

saints should have went after breeland.

We'll see how this works out for Carolina.... I really don't have an opinion one way or the other on his "world views outside of football"... nor do I care.

Since I am a Saints fans... I look at it this way.... he is either going to help them win.... or he's going to be a locker room distraction that's not worth his play on the field.

I am also of the opinion that locker room distractions are okay as long as their talent and value on the field outweighs whatever that distraction is... and I would think most teams would think the same... Guys like Vick, Ray Lewis, Chris Carter, LT, Mike Irvin, T Owens, etc all came with baggage and were at some point a distraction (not comparing Reid to these guys - just pointing out guys that were great - and were distractions) .... but they were also insanely great players... so teams were inclined to overlook those distractions (not saying it's right or wrong to do so, but they do it).

No, the only Saints fans you're seeing saying we needed Reid are the diehard LSU/part-time Saints fans that are absolutely enamored with where a player went to school and absolutely refuse to leave their college affiliations out of any rational decision regarding the betterment of the Saints organization. If they had it their way, we'd be drafting an LSU player every round of every draft.

6 hours ago, mc52beast said:

Gotta wonder if Ron and Marty were strong armed into going along with this signing. Everyone knows how much Tepper hates Trump and the signing of Reid could be his way of waving the middle finger.

You seem to be the only one who keeps wondering this and bringing it up.  It is likely that Tepper was fine with the decision because he respects the kneeling players and wants the best players on the field, but it a huge reach to suggest that Tepper would have forced Ron and Marty into taking Reid just to spite Trump. Take off the tin foil  hat and join us in the realm of likelihood.

Archived