• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baldy Breakdowns: Giants Are Running A "McAdoo 2.0 (Shula)" Offense

Saca312

I believe the Giants' ineptitude is more on Eli, rather than play design.

Baldy's analysis, and the plays he selected, clearly show that there WERE receivers open on those plays, further down the field.  Eli hears footsteps and sees shadows, and either doesn't trust his arm, or can't get his wheels out of the check-down rut he's driven himself into.

And that indeed was a suspect defense he was afraid of.  If he somehow breaks his shell this week, and tries for longer passes, our rush will eat him alive.  I see Obada having a big game again.  Watch for the one play when Eli goes to the ground, before he's even touched.  Fear is a strong deterrent to success.

Just now, RumHam said:

Eli is running scared basically. He just wants to get the ball out without getting hit. Two of those videos had receivers open deep on vertical seams. He isn't even making his reads. 

RumHam, you just typed faster than I did:)

9 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

Someone posted a snippet yesterday where Shurmur stated that Shula does everything an OC does. Except call plays. 

That's just coach speech. He's running and helping to implement Shurmur's offense. 

HC isn't going to come out and say "yeah this guy's on the team because the owner owes his dad a favor."

It's amusing seeing talk of how "awful" the Giants OL apparently is. Didn't DG throw everything but the kitchen sink at Nate Solder, and Andrew Norwell?

Meanwhile everyone expected our OL to be total ass with Norwell exiting.

Maybe this is why you don't bring Mike Shula on to your offensive staff?

3 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I saw an article that stated Shumer called and designed the plays, while Shula would recommend some.  

No offense, but I think I will believe the article I actually saw. That states the Shula is doing everything an OC does. Except call plays. The reason being. Shumur was a head coach before, and he tried being the OC at the same time. He stated it was too much work, so he got himself an OC to take that workload off him. He works with Shula during the week. But will still call the plays come game time.. 

Now, if you could provide a link, or a snippet, then maybe I could lean your way. But I just cannot believe all Shula is doing is "Making Suggestions". 

3 hours ago, Toomers said:

Stating he doesn’t call plays is not a statement against Shula. It’s a fact. That’s just the reality of the situation. He doesn’t have control of the outcome of his work. Good or bad.

People are trying to somehow place the blame for anything the Giants do on offense on Shula. Mainly for the purpose of bashing him. Yet you, and others continually keep on about some kind of Shula hate. When this whole point is meant to defend him to begin with.

I did ask why folks are so hesitant to give Shula any credit. I mean, the guy could design plays well. 

I did criticize him for not being able to properly utilize those well designed plays.

Not sure I would say I am perpetuating the Shula hate. IMO, both the credit, and the criticism are warranted. I don't hate Shula. I just wish he would have been better (Maybe more consistent, would be a more apt appraisal.)  at his job.

I am however, pretty sure this thread was in no way meant to "Defend" Shula.

1 hour ago, TheRed said:

It's amusing seeing talk of how "awful" the Giants OL apparently is. Didn't DG throw everything but the kitchen sink at Nate Solder, and Andrew Norwell?

The giants o line has been horrible since before Shula.

14 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

I did ask why folks are so hesitant to give Shula any credit. I mean, the guy could design plays well. 

I did criticize him for not being able to properly utilize those well designed plays.

Not sure I would say I am perpetuating the Shula hate. IMO, both the credit, and the criticism are warranted. I don't hate Shula. I just wish he would have been better (Maybe more consistent, would be a more apt appraisal.)  at his job.

I am however, pretty sure this thread was in no way meant to "Defend" Shula.

How can someone misinterpret so much. This is what happens when you jump wildly and blind homer into threads. Let’s see....

1. Who gives a poo about Shula’s credit for his job here. Has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion. 

2. Again, who cares? 

3. Who said you were. I said YOU were using it as a reason for me making my statements. When it was actually the opposite. 

4. This thread was created solely to blame and take shots at Shula. Which if it’s about his time here, have at it. I only made the factual statement that he’s not calling plays so he shouldn’t be judged by the Giants performance. And since it took away from the “agenda” people have took to speculation as the only hope to get the ball rolling again. Then people come in and get on me for bashing him. How does that work?

Maybe you should put some glasses on that nose you keep looking down on everyone with. Try reading.

1 hour ago, TheRed said:

They actually didn't get Norwell even though he tried really hard. Norwell end up with the Jags. They did end up drafting a guard who has been really good, but Solder has sucked and Flowers on the other side already got replaced for being complete trash by a guy who has only been kinda trash.

1 hour ago, electro's horse said:

That's just coach speech. He's running and helping to implement Shurmur's offense. 

HC isn't going to come out and say "yeah this guy's on the team because the owner owes his dad a favor."

IMO, your first sentence is pretty much spot on. Shumur wanted an OC that could implement his vision. Shurmur said that the last time he was a HC, he spread himself too thin trying to also be the OC. Hence, Shula is his OC. But, at the end of the day, it is Shurmurs' Offense. So come game day, it is Shurmur who calls the plays.

Short story long. Shula does the OC work during the week. (Under Shurmur's direction of course.) Because Shurmur is the HC and has too many other responsibilities.

As to your second sentence. Do you really believe the only reason Shula is in NY is because of his name? I am under the impression Shurmur hired Shula because they run the same type offense. AND that Shurmur wanted an OC to take a load off him as a HC

I'll be honest. When I logged on, and saw a notification from @electro's horse, I was more than a tad anxious. I just knew you were going to ream me out a new one. Phew, dodged that bullet. lol

2 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

I am under the impression Shurmur hired Shula because they run the same type offense.

They actually don't which is why I always found the hire to be especially strange. Shurmur has always been a WCO guy having spent his first 10 years in the NFL under Andy Reid and Shula is an Air Coryell guy.

These days there is obviously a lot of crossover and blending of systems and it probably isn't impossible to go from one system to the other provided you know the verbiage but you'd figure that if you are going to hire an OC that doesn't call plays and whose primary purpose is to game plan and implement your system then you would want someone who has a foundation in your system.

Archived