• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Riverboat Rivera on not going for it on 4th and a centimeter on the first drive.

Saca312

Today's loss was ugly. It wasn't a case of superior talent beating inferior. It was simply a case of superior talent unable to surpass questionable coaching while piling on critical mistakes.

However, if I were to press forth a main factor for most of these losses, I'd have to say Ron Rivera's a prime contributor for some of this.

First off, personnel decisions were a mess. Deciding to not utilize Curtis Samuel this whole game was completely baffling, especially considering how good his tape was from a week prior. To decrease the snaps of our best receiver by far was pretty incredible to see in a negative way. Also, starting Chris Manhertz over Ian Thomas is a funny thing to see. 

And, most criminal of all, CJ Anderson has been noted as pretty much "did not participate" for the day. He barely got to see the field despite him clearly being one of the better options as a pure runner. At the very least, just give CJ more snaps and stop trying to use CMC like a damn bellcow all the time and limiting his efficiency.

Next, decision making and coaching was bad, and the post game comments worse. First off, Rivera actually blamed the loss on the fact the Redskins were able to run the ball more. Like how out of touch can you get? 

And then opening up with five straight runs. Which, predictably, was later fished out and set up the famed 4th and a centimeter we were all sure Cam would QB sneak through for an easy first down. But nope, Rivera decided to nope out of the single thought despite his former life as "Riverboat Ron."

Sure, you can argue "but what if it failed?" Then at least Ron tried to do something offensively and show that he understands the defense isn't as good as it once was. The strength of this team is by far the offense, yet Ron is hindering it to the max.

Plus, this statistic should've made it a no-brainer:

And, best of all, the last two offensive drives were prime examples of just what happens when the coaching staff removes itself out of Cam's way and lets him take hold the reigns. He was able to lead efficient drives down the field with the play-makers they have and pass. This can be a prolific modern offense if Ron keeps his stupid "run run run" mentality away.

Sure, the last three plays are questionable in part of Cam and everyone else. Second down, Cam was pressured. Third down, Cam missed wildly compounded with the refs missing a blatant push off on Funchess before the ball got to there (this was based on what I heard from the radio broadcast. They really hounded the refs on that one.) Fourth down he missed Wright while the receiver himself was clearly held. Either way, missed opportunities on there.

Otherwise, the drive down the field showed what happens when the Panthers are able to pass and act well in a no-huddle situation. Give the keys to Cam and let him drive. Let him pass, get a few good playcalls in if you need, and create a balance of good passing and running. Ron does not need to force his "run run run" fetish on an offense that could do far better and a defense that can't stop an offense to save its life.

Those are my thoughts.

Those last 3 plays is making people forget that horrendues first half of football Rivera and Norv coached.

Norv keeps running Mccaffrey like he’s Emmit Smith, he averaging like 3 ypc these last two games, complete waste of down.

Also that Riverboat nickname was always used in a ironic way, he’s the most conservative coaches in the league 

We had 9 real drives in the game (not counting the kneel to end the 1st half). By choosing not to go for it on 4th and 1 near midfield, choosing not to go for it on 4th and 3 deep in WAS territory, and choosing to just run up the middle on first and second down when we got the ball back with almost 2 min left in the first half, we essentially gave up on 3 of those drives. It's hard to win when you give up on 1/3 of your possessions. It's always baffled me how Rivera could revert to being so conservative after having so much success with more aggressive calls in 2013, but this game is the most frustrated I've ever been.

Archived