• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

About this "meaningless" game and the draft

klumme

26 minutes ago, Wyank said:

Oh god don't bring up Hurney and second round.  What is he at?  One possible good 2nd rounder in his career.  Donte Jackson?

Yeah and that's all that matters, what have you done for me lately. Lately, 3 out of our 1st 4 picks in our last draft are promising. If he can do it again, that would be great.

42 minutes ago, Asurfaholic said:

It’s not about pure logic sometimes. For 1, I love that team stuck it out and played to win. As a man I want to win every battle and seeing my team just piss away a contest for any reason should upset any true man. For 2, you can blow a 5th round pick just as easily as you can get a generational talent in the 2nd or 3rd. And 3, there is no part of me that would choose between a NFL suck record as we would have faced first 6-2 -> 6-10 record. That sort of thing last forever. We will take a good player where ever we pick, or we won’t. The exact positions aren’t worth getting bent out of shape over.

This is just dumb

The difference between the player drafted at 7 and the one at 15 is MAJOR.

Yes we can still end up with a great player, but at 7 we 100% get an immediate impact rookie from day 1, we don’t have that guarantee at 15.

and we now have to play Green Bay next year instead of Detroit... that’s awesome too, right?

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I’m right on the picks which does suck. Suffice it to say that instead of getting the 9th best player, we’ll get the 16th. It may not seem like a lot but it’s a big drop. We just need to hope for a Derwin James type drop and some QB reaches.

The entire premise is stupid and at best it's literally a non analysis. The OP is talking about pro bowls(or even AP don't matter) when players like TD and Cam have almost no honors there and 100s of other players who could/would/should be AP/PB don't get it in a particular year.

If this was anything at all it would show AP, PB, quality starts, years active, HoF inductions...etc...in other words a complete analysis not some pro bowl poo which is one of the most meaningless things to compare. That's to say nothing about a positional comparison per pick as a QB going 1 overall isn't anything close as comparable to a S being taken at 16...

1 hour ago, klumme said:

Instead of just arguing back and forward about if and how meaningless this game is, or if it really hurt our chances of hitting the jackpot in the draft... Well I took a look at the stats. With a win over the Saints we could lose about 10 draft positions, so here we go.

You normally say, a draft pick have to has three years in the league to really judge them, so I looked at the drafts in 2011-2015

Pro Bowls 

Top 10 vs 11-20 pick

58% vs 34%

Then what about All Pro?

34% vs 18%

Great win today.

Why doesn’t anyone understand that it has nothing to do with the potential player drafted. Higher draft picks are more valuable plain and simple. 

According to the draft pick value chart, the 7th pick is worth 1500, pick 16 is worth 1000. Last time I checked 1500 > 1000. This make a huge difference when it come to potential trades.

With the 7th pick we would have had the ability to trade back,  grab let’s say pick 18, and a second and third rounder. That would give us 5 picks in the top 100. Why is that hard to understand.

6 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

Why doesn’t anyone understand that it has nothing to do with the potential player drafted. Higher draft picks are more valuable plain and simple. 

According to the draft pick value chart, the 7th pick is worth 1500, pick 16 is worth 1000. Last time I checked 1500 > 1000. This make a huge difference when it come to potential trades.

With the 7th pick we would have had the ability to trade back,  grab let’s say pick 18, and a second and third rounder. That would give us 5 picks in the top 100. Why is that hard to understand.

Best we could of done is 9th. And Hurney is currently the GM.  He might of done good last draft but his draft day trading has been scary.  Please don't answer the phone is NE calls. So all this draft value point system means nothing. I'm not ready to say Hurney is a draft genius with draft day trades and what pick is valued what. 

Don't worry... when we draft Vernon Butler 2.0 with our pick (instead of getting a stud 8 picks earlier), this win will definitely have been worth it....

We have fans cheering like we won the Superbowl because we beat the 3rd stringers for the Saints; meanwhile, the Saints have actual important games to worry about coming up and are probably the favorite to win the superbowl... Depressing times

9 minutes ago, Wyank said:

Best we could of done is 9th. And Hurney is currently the GM.  He might of done good last draft but his draft day trading has been scary.  Please don't answer the phone is NE calls. So all this draft value point system means nothing. I'm not ready to say Hurney is a draft genius with draft day trades and what pick is valued what. 

None of what you said matters. 9 is still higher and more valuable than where we are picking now. 

$100 is worth more than $75 regardless of what you end up spending it on.

29 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Promising, but don’t forget Bradberry was way better (top 20ish ranking) his rookie year than Donte and many people in here want him gone. Donte started hot but he’s been awful during the losing streak, seemed to give up at least one long play per game.

Our 2017 draft was solid and 2018 has been good. We have more draft capital this year than we have had so we need to nail this draft or we’ll be mediocre for a while. That’s why dropping from 9 to 16 sucks. Just makes it way harder and makes me worry about trading up when we could have avoided that.

Umm Jackson > Bradberry rookie year. Are you serious right now. You forgot julio Jones putting up 360 yards against us in 2 games? 

I want to mention I rather be the patriots with no top 10 picks constantly winning suprrbowls or in the superbowl than just having a "HOF" top 10 player with no superbowls. We've got 3 top 10 players since 2010 and still can't make the playoffs in back to back seasons, 2014 don't count save it. I think that talk is irrelevant 

4 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

None of what you said matters. 9 is still higher and more valuable than where we are picking now. 

$100 is worth more than $75 regardless of what you end up spending it on.

Yes sir.  Win still felt good today.  

Archived