• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question about Shaq's Contract

trueblade

I am have a question about Thompson. From OverTheCap:

Shaq Thompson signed a 4 year contract with the Panthers on May 8, 2015 worth $8,808,725. Thompson received a $4,666,344 signing bonus and $7.17 million in guarantees. Carolina holds a fifth year option on the contract. The Panthers picked up the option for 2019. The option is worth $9.232 million and is guaranteed for injury. If he is on the roster on the first day of the 2019 league year his salary will become fully guaranteed.

When we put Shaq on IR, did that in essence guarantee his 2019 salary, meaning we're paying him (and taking his cap hit for the full 9.2 million) whether he's here or not?

1 hour ago, PantherNation123 said:

I'll continue to say this, but until Shaq is playing in his true role full-time (where TD plays), we won't know exactly what we have.  He played very well there to begin the year, and I think he would continue to.  He is a great linebacker and would be a big blow if we lost him

It would be a big blow to lose a great LB, but I do not see Thompson as one that fits that description.  He is not worth the $$.

1 minute ago, Pissed-Off-Carolina-Chuck said:

Either cut him or give him a long term deal to reduce his cap. Im fine with 6m a year but now any more

Begrudgingly, I would agree, but have to ask...what reason would Shaq have to sign a reduced deal? If the Panthers cut him, he takes his chances that he finds a taker for more money, but there's always a sucker out there willing to toss money at a problem. 

Archived