• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Last Year’s Draft

ForJimmy

As much as some hate Hurney (and I understand and agree with most reasons) he did great in last year’s draft. We possibly got our WR1 and CB1 as well as Olsen’s replacement. Carter and Haynes still have potential with Carter possibly taking our Shaq’s Position. If we can get anything out of Gaulden (SS or Nickel) you are looking at 4 to 5 starters with us having a late pick. If Gaulden was a miss Hurney still got a steal in Thomas. That’s 3 definite starters with 3 (Haynes, Carter, and Gaulden) looking to still have potential. Hopefully new Hurney can replicate this success this year with both our lines and safety positions.

Did Haynes do anything of note this year? Just asking, I didn't notice him really at all.

I feel pretty good with last years draft. Moore and Jackson alone would have been acceptable, but adding Thomas-- right when we're needing a new TE is huge. I'd like to see more of Gaulden, but my expectations are low. I agree on Carter too. Maybe one of the two LBs will grow into someone. If we manage 4 starters from this draft eventually, I'll consider it one of the best in recent time.

1 minute ago, Ship said:

Did Haynes do anything of note this year? Just asking, I didn't notice him really at all.

I feel pretty good with last years draft. Moore and Jackson alone would have been acceptable, but adding Thomas-- right when we're needing a new TE is huge. I'd like to see more of Gaulden, but my expectations are low. I agree on Carter too. Maybe one of the two LBs will grow into someone. If we manage 4 starters from this draft eventually, I'll consider it one of the best in recent time.

Camp he looked great 

Really good speed and quickness which is what the scouts had for him.

Got activated I think the first ATL game, got abused and pushed around like a kid.    Then didnt get activated again until the last 2 games of the season.

46 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

As much as some hate Hurney (and I understand and agree with most reasons) he did great in last year’s draft. We possibly got our WR1 and CB1 as well as Olsen’s replacement. Carter and Haynes still have potential with Carter possibly taking our Shaq’s Position. If we can get anything out of Gaulden (SS or Nickel) you are looking at 4 to 5 starters with us having a late pick. If Gaulden was a miss Hurney still got a steal in Thomas. That’s 3 definite starters with 3 (Haynes, Carter, and Gaulden) looking to still have potential. Hopefully new Hurney can replicate this success this year with both our lines and safety positions.

After 2009, 2010, and 2011 that mother fuger had better have knocked last year's draft out of park.

That's probably one of the reasons that Tepper kept him. As much as some Huddlers here want to try and belittle the impact of the draft, the organizations that sustain success are the ones that mainly build through the draft and supplement their teams with free agency. The Steelers are the epitome of a franchise that sustains itself by drafting well (and of course developing in-house talent).

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

That's probably one of the reasons that Tepper kept him. As much as some Huddlers here want to try and belittle the impact of the draft, the organizations that sustain success are the ones that mainly build through the draft and supplement their teams with free agency. The Steelers are the epitome of a franchise that sustains itself by drafting well (and of course developing in-house talent).

The Steelers demand winning. I can guarantee they wouldn’t keep a GM with a 25% success rate. There’s more to being a GM than hitting a first round pick.

16 minutes ago, Icege said:

After 2009, 2010, and 2011 that mother fuger had better have knocked last year's draft out of park.

And while I think they will be better

Lets wait and not jump the gun.  Remember some of Gettlemans draft

KB- was the next coming and had a bigger year than Moore despite missing a few games to injury.

Bene- was rated the top overall rookie DB following his rookie year.  And was top 15 pick on every redraft after the season, along with Tre Boston which everyone had a 1st round in end of rookie year remock

All those guys are gone and it hurt this team

7 minutes ago, Toomers said:

The Steelers demand winning. I can guarantee they wouldn’t keep a GM with a 25% success rate. There’s more to being a GM than hitting a first round pick.

I absolutely agree, but your criterion for a 25% "success" rate is likely different than others'. That aside, this is Hurney's FIRST year under Tepper.  IF Hurney has another draft like the last, his stock may go up. I'm sure Tepper likes stocks that increase and have even higher potential to increase, regardless of how they performed nearly a decade ago.

7 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I absolutely agree, but your criterion for a 25% "success" rate is likely different than others'. That aside, this is Hurney's FIRST year under Tepper.  IF Hurney has another draft like the last, his stock may go up. I'm sure Tepper likes stocks that increase and have even higher potential to increase, regardless of how they performed nearly a decade ago.

Considering the stock “tanked” last year, just like it did in its previous four, what potential has this “stock” shown? 

What success rate would you like to use? How deep a “cherry-picking” you going to do to gloss over 5 losing seasons in a row, 3 of 12 in playoffs. You know, actual relevant FACTS. 

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

The ability to learn and improve upon fast failures is a wonderful thing.  

Patience can be a virtue for many reasons.

So what did he learn in his time as a DJ to help him with his salary cap issues? Is that normally where GMs go to improve their skill sets? Local AM radio? 

29-51 with

51-28-1 without. 

Which stock you buying again?

Archived