• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Last Year’s Draft

ForJimmy

Moore, Turner's guy, looks great. Huge upside.

Jackson looks solid. Not a CB#1. Hopefully there is room for improvement with more experience and he can stay healthy with going up against WRs that have a lot of height and weight on him. 

Thomas is improving and I really hope he keeps it up. Solid and could be awesome. Again, I suspect Turner's guy.

The rest were meh to this point. Gaulden hasn't shown anything positive and Haynes looks to be a long term project. One wow, another starter, a project that made big strides and the rest were incompletes at this point. Solid draft, not amazing, but combined with the FA signings it was an unimpressive offseason by Hurney. We barely put together an Oline, after extending guaranteed money to M. Kalil. Searcy and Adams were hot garbage and if it wasn't for injury, Reed wouldn't have been added. 

I think we can put down the coolaid on 'new' Hurney until one shows up. The best thing Tepper can do is to apply presure to Hurney and Rivera instead of making and accepting excuses for them like the last owner. That might help them because they are terrible at their jobs when they are comfortable, as history has proven.

8 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Considering the stock “tanked” last year, just like it did in its previous four, what potential has this “stock” shown? 

What success rate would you like to use? How deep a “cherry-picking” you going to do to gloss over 5 losing seasons in a row, 3 of 12 in playoffs. You know, actual relevant FACTS. 

I'm pretty sure we'll need at least five more losing seasons to know for certain that Hurney isn't working out.

"Patience" you know :thinking:

45 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Camp he looked great 

Really good speed and quickness which is what the scouts had for him.

Got activated I think the first ATL game, got abused and pushed around like a kid.    Then didnt get activated again until the last 2 games of the season.

This guy is a project no question.  Definitely was not drafted as a year one playmaker.  I suspect by year 3 we should see who he is as a pro.   

Just now, Toomers said:

Considering the stock “tanked” last year, just like it did in its previous four, what potential has this “stock” shown? 

What success rate would you like to use? How deep a “cherry-picking” you going to do to gloss over 5 losing seasons in a row, 3 of 12 in playoffs. You know, actual relevant FACTS

"Cherry picking?" LOL 

This is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league. Ancient history is ancient.

Don't get the "'tanked' last year" thing, but all your pontificating about what happened in Charlotte pre-Tepper ain't changing the fact that Hurney's done relatively well for Tepper since it was known that he would become the owner. If you think that Tepper is stupid as just opposed to analytical and patient, not disposed to knee-jerk type thinking, then that's on you. I believe that he's going to get us to where we need to go, with or without Hurney, Rivera, Norv, Cam or anyone else. A certain amount of patience, getting the big picture, formulating a plan, and giving it time to come to realization are the hallmarks of  franchises with sustained success. 

Just now, Pejorative Miscreant said:

This guy is a project no question.  Definitely was not drafted as a year one playmaker.  I suspect by year 3 we should see who he is as a pro.   

He’s not fast enough to play 4-3 OLB, can’t add weight to play DE without losing what little speed he has. He’s not magically waking up 260 and quicker. Not without “help”. 

Not a bad idea. Just picked the wrong player for the role. 

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

He’s not fast enough to play 4-3 OLB, can’t add weight to play DE without losing what little speed he has. He’s not magically waking up 260 and quicker. Not without “help”. 

Not a bad idea. Just picked the wrong player for the role. 

He was a shoe fit as a 3-4 OLB who we thought we could bring in and atleast play a joker role year 1 but it didnt work out

10 minutes ago, Toomers said:

So what did he learn in his time as a DJ to help him with his salary cap issues? Is that normally where GMs go to improve their skill sets? Local AM radio? 

29-51 with

51-28-1 without. 

Which stock you buying again?

Do you not learn from observation, even if it's from afar? And Hurney not only probably had more "inside" knowledge than most, but, perhaps more importantly, had/has a unique insight into the situation based upon his past experience and failures.

There are plenty of businessmen who fail or simply wash out of their first business ventures only to come back and have great success. 

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

"Cherry picking?" LOL 

This is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league. Ancient history is ancient.

Don't get the "'tanked' last year" thing, but all your pontificating about what happened in Charlotte pre-Tepper ain't changing the fact that Hurney's done relatively well for Tepper since it was known that he would become the owner. If you think that Tepper is stupid as just opposed to analytical and patient, not disposed to knee-jerk type thinking, then that's on you. I believe that he's going to get us to where we need to go, with or without Hurney, Rivera, Norv, Cam or anyone else. A certain amount of patience, getting the big picture, formulating a plan, and giving it time to come to realization are the hallmarks of  franchises with sustained success. 

Ok. Since it’s a fact that we went from 11-5 to 7-9. Are we in better shape as a team now, or a year and a half ago. Since he’s been back, what financial decisions has Hurney made that have been considered “good”. What fact is there to prove he has done relatively well? Because there are plenty showing he hasn’t. 

So it’s basically cold hard facts against “because you said so”. Good to know.....

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Do you not learn from observation, even if it's from afar? And Hurney not only probably had more "inside" knowledge than most, but, perhaps more importantly, had/has a unique insight into the situation based upon his past experience and failures.

There are plenty of businessmen who fail or simply wash out of their first business ventures only to come back and have great success. 

No. He had space reserved under the desk of the previous owner. The only guy in the NFL who would hire him. With all his “learnings” from afar, why was no one else calling for his skills. 

So your take is “Marty Hurney is a good GM and no facts can get in the way of that”

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

Ok. Since it’s a fact that we went from 11-5 to 7-9. Are we in better shape as a team now, or a year and a half ago. Since he’s been back, what financial decisions has Hurney made that have been considered “good”. What fact is there to prove he has done relatively well? Because there are plenty showing he hasn’t. 

So it’s basically cold hard facts against “because you said so”. Good to know.....

Not really. 

He let Norwell go as he should have. He also jettisoned Benjamin for a third round pick. He likewise did not overpay for services for TD or Olsen---our own guys---or overpay for ANY free agent that we acquired. All this, on top of drafting probably at least three impact-starters for years to come. And don't give me any hindsight-is-20:20 b.s. Every move Hurney made (save for perhaps drafting Gaulden) made good sense.

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Not really. 

He let Norwell go as he should have. He also jettisoned Benjamin for a third round pick. He likewise did not overpay for services for TD or Olsen---our own guys---or overpay for ANY free agent that we acquired. All this, on top of drafting probably at least three impact-starters for years to come. And don't give me any hindsight-is-20:20 b.s. Every move Hurney made (save for perhaps drafting Gaulden) made good sense.

He gave Olsen 12M guaranteed. Now we either overpay him to play 7.1M, or 7.4M if he retires. 

He traded KB for a wasted pick. 

He gave an inconsistent PK 9M guaranteed. After cutting to cheap similar alternative. Nice. 

Poe is awful. 

You pay Torrey Smith 5M for no reason at all. 

These were all criticized when they were made. So what exactly has he done besides his normal losing season?

16 minutes ago, Toomers said:

We've got some on here who'd still argue after an 0-16 season that Hurney had a good offseason and it was probably Gettleman's fault because of a draft pick he made four years ago.

4 minutes ago, Toomers said:

No. He had space reserved under the desk of the previous owner. The only guy in the NFL who would hire him. With all his “learnings” from afar, why was no one else calling for his skills. 

So your take is “Marty Hurney is a good GM and no facts can get in the way of that”

I didn't say Marty is a good GM. I thought you were a better listener. What I said is that there was enough justification to Keep Hurney and Rivera for another year to see how it all plays out (and that's what I've been saying). All the whining about Tepper's decision and weeping and gnashing of teeth is pretty useless and not conducive to a good mentality, much less good discussion. 

I unequivocally believe that Tepper will be a good owner, because he seems thoughtful and patient, comes from the best football organization (even if he was just a minority owner), and by all reports knows a little about the game, has an appreciation for analytics, and displays what I call "big-picture clarity" about his franchise.

44 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Haynes still weighs 235 lbs.

Unless Rivera is training him how to play OLB in the 4-3, Hayne's has extremely minimal "potential".

This staff is horrible at roster development to the point its not even worth picking anybody in the later rounds. 

Archived