• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do we need a CB?

AU-panther

The last couple of years should have shown us that injuries derail a team quicker than anything. We need 4 corners capable of starting in this league to handle the need and provide depth in the event of injury. Right now we have 2.  Do we need more? Obvious answer is yes 

3 hours ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

People think every corner in the league sucks if they're not Deion Sanders.  

In case you missed it, 12 QBs threw for 4,000 yards (would have been 13 if Brees didn't sit last week of the season), and two threw for over 5,000.  Corners WILL give up yards and touchdowns in the league today.  Bradberry is good, Jackson was one of the top defensive rookies in the league.  Cockrell is the big tossup here.  If he can come back and be effective on the outside then we can move Donte into the slot and we're in business.  Huge question mark though.

Exactly, the NFL has changed the rules to greatly favor the offense.  Heck, I don't think Deon would be Deon in today's NFL. 

Every corner is going to give up catches and some big plays, the good ones are those that can limit them and be relatively consistent.  And Bradberry was generally pretty consistently good this year.  His biggest flaw is he doesn't have great ball skills, but I will take a guy that can consistently limit the opponents #1 receiver's impact over a guy that is 50/50 whether he gets an int. or gives up a big play.

1 hour ago, CBDellinger said:

We need a pass rush more than we need any DB. 

Pressure sends secondary players to the pro bowl.

Yep, I think a good pass rush would make our DB's look night and day better.  With that said, we do desperately need a good nickel.  We saw too many times this year where Bradberry and Jackson had their guys locked down only to see our opponent's slot receiver making a key catch with Munnerlyn chasing him five yards back.  

Give this team a solid nickel and FS along with a legit pass rush, and you'll see our pass defense make a huge jump in production and rankings.

2 hours ago, CBDellinger said:

We need a pass rush more than we need any DB. 

Pressure sends secondary players to the pro bowl.

They work together. Our problem has been the exact thinking you suggest. Trying to upgrade the DLine and putting rookies and JAGs in the secondary especially at safety have caused us huge issues and forced us to blitz and expose the secondary. Give me a secondary that plays great man and pressures receivers off the line and I will show you a defensive line that gets lots of coverage sacks and pressure. You need both. 

We definetly should take Sweat at 16. He has a ton of potential and can already be an impact player for us. Bradberry is criminally underrated and Jackson is a ballhawk. Honestly I think looking at Cockrell or a low risk high reward cb for nickel is a better option then a CB in the draft (unless Greedy is there.)

On 1/22/2019 at 12:00 PM, mc52beast said:

Everything we do in the Draft will be based off of what Hurney does in FA. Don’t know the corners who are available and what value they have

I am really interested to see what the “selectivity aggressive” means when FA comes.  May be exciting or tragic.  Time will tell

We do need an upgrade at nickel. We need an upgrade at FS. If we can pick up a good nickel then we could, conceivably, move Munnerlyn to FS as a stopgap.

Of course, that's if we can keep Reid. It's also if Jackson doesn't hit the sophomore slump. And no one gets injured.

I wouldn't spend our first or second round draft picks on it unless a real star guy fell to us.

We're just in an unpredictable spot in the draft. Far enough back to have some players of need swept off the boards before we get there, but still early enough to maybe catch a surprise great player like we did with Luke back in the day (how many teams would love to go back and redo that draft and grab Luke before we did?).

CBs are only as good as the pass rush. We need DEs that are proven. With the new DBs coach I think we are fine except at FS. Adams is too old. I think Reid is good enough to see how he pans out next year witha full off season and training camp. But our secondary I think is good. Just both sides of the ball on the line needs to be addressed.

On 1/22/2019 at 12:48 PM, panthers55 said:

Trying to upgrade the DLine and putting rookies and JAGs in the secondary especially at safety have caused us huge issues and forced us to blitz and expose the secondary.

This makes little sense. We brought extra pressure because our D-Line has been unable to generate pressure without help. Great D-Lines cause havoc on their own from time to time.

Archived