• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draftek New Mock Updated 2/20

Catufb85

i'm fine with it, especially if we run hybrid 3-4 and he can pressure up the middle. He might command the double teams needed to get Short free again. Take a DE in the third round or bring a veteran, kick poe's fat ass out the door back to atlanta where he belongs.

1 hour ago, SetfreexX said:

No way in hell we draft a DT with the 1st pick, even if the guy is a stud, we are paying...

KK / Poe / Butler -- and two of the three for likely at least two more years. 

EDGE, and T is where our top two picks go, anyone reporting outside that is foolish unless somehow, someway we're able to sign quality EDGE, or a T in free agency, which is expensive and I don't anticipate we spend our cap there excluding the extension to Williams. 

Drafting OL and DL higher and having them 4 -5 years makes way more sense given our position and financial ability currently. 

yeah we'd be cutting Poe and Butler. So there's all of a sudden a need.

7 minutes ago, stbugs said:

We are at $16m in cap space. Poe opens up $6 this year and Matt opens up over $7. Throw in Smith and Searcy and we’re at $36m. We have plenty of room to dive into FA. Maybe not Lawrence or Clowney, but maybe Clark. I’m not saying to ignore DE, I’ve been a big proponent of it, but a lot of our best pressure from 2015-2017 when we were at the top of the sack list was interior pressure and that completely went away this year so it is a need. Not as high a need, but there are some decent FA DEs and the best DEs could be gone at 16. 

Problem in Clark is still going to require 14+

We are going to have to resign Williams which will cost a good 9mil, or thats going to open another Major hole

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

If we release Poe there’s a decent amount of cap savings. Use that for a FA DE and I’m fine with Lawrence. No link to the draft so it’s hard to say who I would take instead. 

This, we’re going to need a fa de, preferable not the cheap kind, because expecting a rookie de to fix our pass rushing issues is going to be a recipe for failure next season 

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

And I still have $13m in cap space left, two solid DEs, a solid DT, two solid tackles and 4 more picks from 47 to 115ish to work on C, LG, S, CB, OT and of course more DE. 

Your still going to need a starting FS, OG, C

Who you wont get past round 3

If your not drafting a QB round 1-3 your going to want to sign a vet who's ready with Cam's injury

my personal mock would be:

Round 1 Pick 16: Sweat, Montez, DE, Mississippi State (A-)
Round 2 Pick 15: Jenkins, Elgton, OT/C, Mississippi State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 13: Walker, D'Andre, OLB, Georgia (A)
Round 4 Pick 13: Pierschbacher, Ross, OG, Alabama (A+)
Round 5 Pick 16: Jackson, Tyree, QB, Buffalo (A+)
Round 6 Pick 14: Wise, Daniel, DT, Kansas (A+)

9 minutes ago, Catufb85 said:

For those who say we aren't going to or don't need to draft a DT.  Maybe not 1st round, but expect it.  We aren't picking up Butlers 5  year option and Poe is going to be a cap casualty.  Definitely underachieved for his deal.

I'm fine after the first round. But a first round pick there is just pointless.

FWIW IMHO sleeper first round/early picks for us could include:

DT (Pretty high on the list, actually)
RB
LB

There are two guys on the defensive side that I would absolutely take if they fell to us. Those are Ed Oliver and Devin White. Lawrence, I could see us taking in certain scenarios.

As I have said in the past, I think we should restructure Poe rather than cut him outright. I know it was a new contract last year, but we could squeeze enough cap room out of him to keep him. He's more of a 3-4 DT IMHO anyways, and would actually do better in that role. If we're going to be giving some of those looks, he'll do a fine job. The only real way we'll do better and cheaper/at the same level is by hitting on a later round draft pick.

Oliver is probably the safest bet on the DL in this draft. He'd be better paired with Short on base 4 looks, and would actually fit well on either side of a base 3 look.

My LB stud is Devin White. He's sliding a bit in projections because there are some decent LBs in this draft and other positions are getting the hype. If he's there at #16, though, I think we have to draft him. He's an immediate starter on the outside in some/most packages, and can be our other middle guy with Luke in others. He even has some EDGE qualities that I think we could incorporate. I know we have the two young guys from last year's draft, but White is the real deal.

As for RB. We don't really have anyone behind CMC as it stands. I think literally everyone else is a FA of some sort, or someone who just doesn't have a shot at making the active roster. Landing a stud RB early on would allow us to have a solid backup for the current centerpiece of our offense. I know everyone will bring up CJ Anderson, etc. and even I have advocated bringing back CAP, but drafting a guy that slides or that we know we can utilize in certain roles would be a smart move.

All that said, I fully expect we'll address the OL in the middle rounds. I think the other points of weakness on both depth and talent levels will be addressed in free agency. This includes DE, maybe even DT, and Edge/OLB. Hopefully we'll land a big name FS as well.

16: R1P16
LB DEVIN WHITE
LSU
47: R2P15
OT GREG LITTLE
OLE MISS
77: R3P13
C GARRETT BRADBURY
NC STATE
99: R3P35
G MICHAEL JORDAN
OHIO STATE
115: R4P13
RB TRAYVEON WILLIAMS
TEXAS A&M
155: R5P16
CB JORDAN MILLER
WASHINGTON
189: R6P14
S SAQUAN HAMPTON
RUTGERS

16: R1P16

DL RASHAN GARY
MICHIGAN
47: R2P15

OT ANDRE DILLARD
WASHINGTON ST
77: R3P13

C ELGTON JENKINS
MISSISSIPPI ST
99: R3P35

EDGE JOE JACKSON
MIAMI (FL)
115: R4P13

RB MILES SANDERS
PENN STATE
155: R5P16
WR ANTHONY RATLIFF-WILLIAMS
NORTH CAROLINA
189: R6P14

QB RYAN FINLEY
NC STATE

draftek, difficult.

After many drafts, You must invest OT & DE in the first two picks. Afterwards the talent falls off a mountain, while RB, C, Saftey, WR, OG remain strong. 

Archived