• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Showing Interest In Vikings DE Everson Griffen

Saca312

27 minutes ago, philit99 said:

I believe you missed that. Suicidal thoughts and depression.

I did. I searched his name and nothing came up other than being a free agent and potential landing spots. I dont hate him for depression unlike Mister.

Has he had problems with teammates or coaches? Sounds like the Vikings would have him back. Zimmer seems to like him a lot.

I definitely don't hate him for having issues with depression and mental health, but it's not about "hate". It's about a $10.9M cap hit this season. Does the risk/reward equation favor a $10.9M cap hit or not? And that's without even factoring in the actual trade compensation.

7 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

I'm sorry but that's exactly why I'd dig up a Greg Hardy, put him on a tight leash and return him to Eric Washington. It's totally worth that risk. Get the guy into training. I know it's not a popular decision but as a football decision it's shrewd.

D3996A98-2B50-476E-91EB-29F3C96236DA.jpeg

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I definitely don't hate him for having issues with depression and mental health, but it's not about "hate". It's about a $10.9M cap hit this season. Does the risk/reward equation favor a $10.9M cap hit or not? And that's without even factoring in the actual trade compensation.

Exactly. Nobody hated guys like Josh Gordon or Terrell Owens either. They just didn't think they were worth the risk.

Heck, im.pretty sure there are still people on here hoping we go after Josh Gordon, no matter how many times he screws up.

Trust me, I don’t view any transaction as a charity case. 

I respect how he’s handling his struggle. I also don’t believe it’s a true fit at this point, from a financial/football perspective.

It’s the same pushback I got from some fans when I said I’d rather not retain Eric Reid. I didn’t view Reid as an optimal long-term component for this secondary. I had to navigate through some fairly ignorant political landmines to explain this, particularly considering I don’t care about his personal affairs. 

Mental health awareness is a very important issue to me and many people I know. But not for a second will I blame a football team for passing on a player if it’s not a good fit, even if that player suffers from mental illness. 

Steve Smith admitted depression and suicidal thoughts? Did that impact his play in Baltimore?

Depression if it is situational can resolve itself without treatment or even medication. In any event, it is easily treatable and with support usually doesn't stop folks from functioning. Based on the number of doom and gloom posts I would be surprised if many here aren't depressed whether they are identified, treated or not.

1 minute ago, je1005 said:

Trust me, I don’t view this as a charity case.

I respect how he’s handling his struggle. I also don’t believe it’s a true fit at this point, from a financial/football perspective.

It’s the same pushback I got from some fans when I said I’d rather not retain Eric Reid. I didn’t view Reid as an optimal long-term component for this secondary. I had to navigate through some fairly ignorant political landmines to explain this. 

Mental health awareness is a very important issue to me and many people I know. But not for a second will I blame a football team for passing on a player if it’s not a good fit, even if that player suffers from mental illness. 

Good take.

2 minutes ago, je1005 said:

I’m never in favor of signing a player for any reason other than performance. The business is way too competitive to center your personnel strategy around political or personal agendas.

Absolutely agree.

Said it before: signing a player for any other reason than that you think they can help you win games is the mark of a moron.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Absolutely agree.

Said it before: signing a player for any other reason than that you think they can help you win games is the mark of a moron.

Dude, literally no one is saying this! No one has said the Panthers need to make a statement showing their support for mental health. So stop repeating this crap. 

He is a damn good defensive end.  By your own standards you should want to sign him because he can help us win games.  

We get it, you dont trust people who have had a history of mental health issues, even though most people probably do. 

Luke Kuechly has too many red flags for me.  I just worry about his concussions being an issue in the locker room.  What if he has another and has to retire, where will we be then? 

Can't win games with players like Luke you have to worry about.  Luke was literally crying on the field during a game.  Seems like his head is messed up.  We should probably try to trade him. 

See how dumb this sounds.  

1 minute ago, PantherBrew said:

Dude, literally no one is saying this! No one has said the Panthers need to make a statement showing their support for mental health. So stop repeating this crap. 

He is a damn good defensive end.  By your own standards you should want to sign him because he can help us win games.  

We get it, you dont trust people who have had a history of mental health issues, even though most people probably do. 

Your last paragraph is completely off base.

Football wise, I'd refer you to the cases of Barrett Robbins and Stanley Wilson, two guys who chose the absolute worst possible time to have issues.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

And Greg Hardy has moved on from his previous issues too.

I'm disappointed to see you make such a stupid comment. Comments like yours contribute to the stigma that keeps people silent about their mental health issues. 

Greg Hardy's situation was completely different, in the way it transpired and the way it was dealt with by both the player and the team. 

Archived