• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

To all of you who are complaining about not addressing the safety position........

Lloyd Christmas

I think we make another stop gap signing, and they’re depending on Bradbury and Jackson to make another step forward. I’m not all that worried because I believe our two starting corners are top tier comparatively to the rest of the league. The sky hasn’t fallen yet. I think with some added pressure from the 3-4 and depending on our corners and Luke we’ll be just fine.

10 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

i agree with needing a saftey

his reasoning didnt make sense though

Damn man, why do you keep saying that it doesn't make sense? The DB plays 10 yards off the LOS so the WR is immediately wide open. The DB is 10 yards off the LOS due in part to the lack of quality backup coverage from the SAFETY positions. Why is this theory so difficult for you to comprehend?

6 minutes ago, Lloyd Christmas said:

Damn man, why do you keep saying that it doesn't make sense? The DB plays 10 yards off the LOS so the WR is immediately wide open. The DB is 10 yards off the LOS due in part to the lack of quality backup coverage from the SAFETY positions. Why is this theory so difficult for you to comprehend?

a lot of the cushion was there because our passrush was such ass that we assumed we wouldnt get to the QB in time so we played off the ball. 

if we have a good pass rush we aint going to be beat deep. no time for deep routes to develop.  good passrush, you push those corners up to put pressure on the WRs. 

plus, our Corners at the time were either ass or very inexperienced. 

i agree we needed a safety.  i dont agree with passing up DE/OLBs early in the draft, and I dont think a rookie 3rd round player or later will just automatically plug in and be a starter. go get a vet in the market. 

look at the martket. passrushers get paid a whole lot more and theres slim pickings there in FA

safteys dont make nearly as much and there are still solid vets on the market

theres all you need to know.  we needed pass rush, its a lot more valuable...  the whole LEAGUE devalues safetys. Passrush takes priority

and your reasoning as to why that isnt true doesnt make sense

Some of you guys blow my mind. We have one spot that we could upgrade......what team in the NFL does not have a position that they need to upgrade???? We have Reid locked in, we spent a third on a guy everyone has given up on after he was redshirted, and Searcy who didn’t see the field from concussions. We can still sign a free agent. Calm your tits and step off the ledge.

The team likes veteran safeties. Right or Wrong. I think that they would take one relatively high but hard to justify vs lineman. I feel some would have wanted a late round safety just to say we took a safety. In reality a veteran is a better bet than a late round rookie. 

2 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

a lot of the cushion was there because our passrush was such ass that we assumed we wouldnt get to the QB in time so we played off the ball. 

if we have a good pass rush we aint going to be beat deep. no time for deep routes to develop.  good passrush, you push those corners up to put pressure on the WRs. 

plus, our Corners at the time were either ass or very inexperienced. 

i agree we needed a safety.  i dont agree with passing up DE/OLBs early in the draft, and I dont think a rookie 3rd round player or later will just automatically plug in and be a starter. go get a vet in the market. 

look at the martket. passrushers get paid a whole lot more and theres slim pickings there in FA

safteys dont make nearly as much and there are still solid vets on the market

theres all you need to know.  we needed pass rush, its a lot more valuable...  the whole LEAGUE devalues safetys. Passrush takes priority

and your reasoning as to why that isnt true doesnt make sense

Whatever man. I do understand your argument but I don't understand how you think that our defensive scheme (or lack thereof) does not directly relate to the lack of talent at the safety positions (or the secondary as a whole.  Do we need a consistent pass rush? Of course we do. I am all for the first pick in the draft. But when a QB gets rid of the ball in under 2 seconds then the pass rush does not even factor in on the play. And I was not talking about deep routes, I was referring to short passes that a skilled safety could play a major factor in preventing. This defense was burned time after time by both dink and dunk and long balls. The panthers could have got a probable starting safety in the 3rd round for a relativity cheap price instead of a QB. You can bet that the Grier pick will cause problems with this team. As soon as Cam has a bad game or two, some morons will start the "bench Cam, start Will" crap. Just wait and see. And my reasoning makes perfect sense to me.

Do you guys even follow the Carolina Panthers? The Panthers have never had a true natural free safety and it's retire existence. There is a very simple reasoning for that. You have to choose how to build a defense. Most great defenses have great talent along the defensive line. I honestly don't understand why anybody thinks that, oh this is going to be the year that we finally draft is free safety.

It must be hell building yourself up every year to expect something that isn't going to happen.

Archived