• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers had Grier ahead of Kyler Murray and Daniel Jones

ncfan

Only thing I find funny is that people on here were going off on the Daniel Jones pick on draft day. Thinking DG was crazy and Jones would be a massive bust. 

Some of us were saying no this dude is a really good player. Reminded us of Peyton. 

Last thing, the jury is still out on Grier. It was a horrific showing Friday night, but it’s wayyyyy too early to declare him a bust. This was a Turner pick. Like DJ Moore. One of the things that Hurney should be commended on is he is listening to other people in the organization on draft picks and free agency. 

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I hated it when Gettleman got fired, but having the benefit of hindsight it was deserved. Too many lackluster or outright bust high draft picks, a disaster of a final free agency class. Massively botched the Norman fiasco. 

I didn't want Hurney back either, but hindsight being 20/20 and all, Gettleman deserved to get fired.

See I kind hate that notion about Gettleman. Yes some of his high draft picks were bad to slightly above-average and had some bad free agents but look around the NFL a lot of teams GM'S have huge draft busts and bad free agents signing. There isn't a single GM that hits on every draft picks and spend money in free agency and they end up working out. Look at the New England, Green Bay and Pittsburgh drafts the last couple of years and a lot of their picks are bad but they consistently win because they do all the other thing good- great enough to field a great team.

Gettleman did all the other things good enough and had some success in the draft that led to better overall depth and barging free agents that out-played their value. There is a ton of wrong that he did and a ton of right that he did but at the end like you said the firing was deserved looking at hindsight. Marty had a very good free agency and this is the most successful free agency class he ever had imo, but he should be replace also he inability to create and depth is very concerning and were seeing this with this roster and his UDFA are always poor. Very few good barging free agents and all tho his 2018 draft class is looking strong giving his history I think that will not be the case every year.   

Gettleman was not that great but he wasn't that bad either and you can make the case giving his success with the team he was the best GM the panther had ever had.

I know everyone is hating on Grier.  But IMO Allen looked even worse.  I get that Grier was a third round pick and Allen was an UDFA.  But Allen was throwing ducks.  

I know what pressure can do on a big stage.  It can make some guys bungs pucker.  That is what I saw from Allen against the Bills.  

From Grier’s standpoint he just looks like a deer in headlights.  He looks like he can’t process poo.  But that will calm down over time.  

Does this analysis provide us an answer for our number 2 this year.  Heck no.  

What I want to see in NE is what can these guys do when they are following Norv’s gameplan.  That was the benefit Allen got in week 17 last year.  I think Norv can provide a good game plan against almost any team.  Which one of these knuckleheads can actually execute it on Thursday.  

1 hour ago, Mage said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U23QDOcBXI

Could ya'll imagine the takes on this site if Rodgers played like that in the preseason for us?

Everyone would be saying Rodgers sucks and how they weren't a fan of the pick.

Obviously, Grier probably won't become Rodgers but writing off a rookie in the preseason of his rookie year is foolish.  Rodgers mechanics were a joke at the time and now look at him.  Guys can get better.  

That’s so good to watch.  Rodgers looked like he couldn’t process anything either.  One read and run.  Besides that he threw 52 flat routes.  

Give Grier some slack.  Let’s see what he looks like after a year under his belt.  If he does have to play this year we better cross our fingers.  

58 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

That’s so good to watch.  Rodgers looked like he couldn’t process anything either.  One read and run.  Besides that he threw 52 flat routes.  

Give Grier some slack.  Let’s see what he looks like after a year under his belt.  If he does have to play this year we better cross our fingers.  

If Grier had looked that "bad", you'd be ecstatic, with good reason. Obviously raw, but great mobility and arm.

Did I really see someone try to make an Aaron Rodgers comparison?

After that game?

Man Cam Newton threw 800 yards on the word go as a rookie and still some people weren't sure about him.

Grier throws one of the more uglier pick sixes I've ever seen. And suddenly it's calm down guys Aaron Rodgers played like poo one time too. Really lol?

I'm all for giving him more opportunities, but take off the damn shades.

4 hours ago, Mage said:

Could ya'll imagine the takes on this site if Rodgers played like that in the preseason for us?

Obviously, Grier probably won't become Rodgers but writing off a rookie in the preseason of his rookie year is foolish.  Rodgers mechanics were a joke at the time and now look at him.  Guys can get better.  

yeah Rodgers was also 21 during that pre-season. Greir is 25.

4 hours ago, Mage said:

If Grier had looked like that, people here would be incredibly happy. With good reason. Rodger was obviously raw, but he also showed great mobility and arm strength. 

1 hour ago, TheRed said:

Did I really see someone try to make an Aaron Rodgers comparison?

After that game?

Man Cam Newton threw 800 yards on the word go as a rookie and still some people weren't sure about him.

Grier throws one of the more uglier pick sixes I've ever seen. And suddenly it's calm down guys Aaron Rodgers played like poo one time too. Really lol?

I'm all for giving him more opportunities, but take off the damn shades.

cam wasn't very good in preaseason though, and we were tripping a bit, and then 400 yds.

Jeez,.. so after a couple of quarters in the NFL preseason the dude is a total bust. 

I was mad about the pick, thought there were plenty of other people we could draft, safeties, corners and such we need.

now we drafted Will,... I’m not going to do the “see I told ya so, should have drafted my guy because I know more than the professionals” bit.

maybe after 3 seasons.

Jared Goff pretty much got the Bust label fast, looked terrible and since then he’s done pretty darn well.

Archived