• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF - Comeback Player of the Year Candidates

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-10-nfl-comeback-player-of-the-year-candidates-in-2019

QB CAM NEWTON, CAROLINA PANTHERS

For the best part of the last two years, Newton has been battling through a shoulder injury that has very obviously hindered his on-field performance. This showed up in a big way in 2018 when he aggravated the malady in Week 10 against the Pittsburgh Steelers, and he limped his way to a 56.3 passing grade over his last five games. Newton ended the 2018 season with  20 turnover-worthy plays next to his name and an average depth of target (7.6 yards) that was a yard and a half shy of his previous career-low, which brought his three-year grade (2016-2018) to an underwhelming 72.0 – 24th among the 36 signal-callers with at least 1000 snaps in that span.

The spectacular, MVP-winning 2015 season is still the high point of Cam Newton’s career, and we’ve not really seen him come close to replicating it in any of the three years since, but now that he’s “feeling great” after surgery on his shoulder and armed with an arsenal of young and talented receiving weapons, Newton should be at his best in 2019.

Ngc9zXr.png

3 minutes ago, Michaelinraleigh said:

You said he's more than his passing ability. 

The only other thing there is is running ability. 

What else is there?

Yes.  I said You must also take into consideration his running ability.

Your reply was something about "how many superbowl qbs were known as better runners than passers"

Which has absolutely nothing to do with what was being talked about.  We weren't talking about superbowl winning QBs.

4 minutes ago, Michaelinraleigh said:

You said he's more than his passing ability. 

The only other thing there is is running ability. 

What else is there?

Cam is the best running QB in the game. 

Cam is an average to above average passer.

Put those two skills together and he is an above average QB/Offensive threat.

9 minutes ago, Michaelinraleigh said:

If I'm going to be honest I don't think he's the best running QB either. He just has a lot of designed runs.

He doesn't seem to have much escapability in the pocket anymore and at least to my eyes it seems he slips and stumbles in the open field quite a bit. It appears from overstriding.

Hence why he's the best running QB. Wilson is the best Scrambling QB. Cam runs it down peoples throats even when they know he's coming. Wilson can't do that stuff. Wilson can make magic happen out of nothing better than anyone including Rodgers. 

Two different skillsets. One is a skillset from a pure running perspective, the other a skillset that is specific to QBs.

Cam is a unique Football player with no true historical comparison. 

8 minutes ago, Michaelinraleigh said:

Do you think the defense will show up?

This 3-4 thing scares me.

I am hoping at the very least it will throw a wrench in our NFC South's ability to dismantle us. Giving them a new look should likely help at least some. 

14 hours ago, Michaelinraleigh said:

So when I say he's the 10th best QB when healthy I'm called racist when in fact that's pretty much his average from 2011 thru 2015.

Numbers may never lie, but they never tell the full story.

2015 was Cam's MVP season where he had minimal weapons outside of Olsen.

2011 & 2012 were Cam Newton's prolific rookie and sophomore seasons where he set the league on fire, setting franchise and league records.

2013 & 2014 were back-to-back NFC South titles, with 2013 the team going 12-4. Starting in 2013, Mike Shula took over as OC and Cam's statistical performance dropped tremendously due to the much, much different style of offense from what Chud called. The 2014 season was also the same season as Cam's rib injury and car crash.

If you're saying that Cam was average from 2011 - 2015, you're not doing so based on the facts. 

6 minutes ago, Icege said:

Numbers may never lie, but they never tell the full story.

2015 was Cam's MVP season where he had minimal weapons outside of Olsen.

2011 & 2012 were Cam Newton's prolific rookie and sophomore seasons where he set the league on fire, setting franchise and league records.

2013 & 2014 were back-to-back NFC South titles, with 2013 the team going 12-4. Starting in 2013, Mike Shula took over as OC and Cam's statistical performance dropped tremendously due to the much, much different style of offense from what Chud called. The 2-14 season was also the same season as Cam's rib injury and car crash.

If you're saying that Cam was average from 2011 - 2015, you're not doing so based on the facts. 

Don't bother. He is just going to keep making some vague moving target argument that is never backed by much supporting evidence, just his arbitrary personal ratings system. I don't know why he just doesn't admit that he just flat out doesn't like Cam. That is a much more respectable position than some continuing wishy washy pot shots across every thread that even mentions Cam's name. 

Archived