• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers hire "Director of Analytics"

KillaCamNewton

2 minutes ago, Dex said:

respectively sir, this is not even close to being accurate.

i worded it weird but you get what i mean. i just feel like any stats/analytics can be misleading. i look at it like completion percentage. a QB can throw a shitty pass but if the defender slips or theres broken coverage it can still lead to a completion. just like a QB can throw one right on the money and it can bounce off the chest of Devin Funchess or the DB could make an insane play on the ball. just feel like theres way more variables involved in football than any other sport

8 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

i guess i like the approach - but in all honesty this isnt baseball or basketball. i'm not sure how much analytics can really TRULY help with football. everything is relative and focused on beating the man in front of you

https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/1141710467821461504

How much coaching or playing have you done at the professional level?

1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

How much coaching or playing have you done at the professional level?

i havent done any. thats why i'm genuinely asking how much goes into it and what they truly evaluate. im not dogging the approach im asking for someone to explain to me how you can use it in ways MLB and NBA teams use it. 

1 minute ago, KillaCamNewton said:

i worded it weird but you get what i mean. i just feel like any stats/analytics can be misleading. i look at it like completion percentage. a QB can throw a shitty pass but if the defender slips or theres broken coverage it can still lead to a completion. just like a QB can throw one right on the money and it can bounce off the chest of Devin Funchess or the DB could make an insane play on the ball. just feel like theres way more variables involved in football than any other sport

I don't at all agree with your view. Analytics are HUGE in football and prep. Examples...

How much success does the opposing team have running to the right or the left. They run right 61% of the time gaining over 5 yards 82% of the time. That means we should focus our attention at right side A gap and keep an extra defender close to the line on running downs.

The opposing corner has been on a hot streak lately only allowing 7% of the passing being thrown his way to be completed with 15% of passes being intercepted. He plays the left side of the field 92% of the time so we should put our #1 on the right side to create a mismatch and increase the rate of completions by taking him out of the game.

The opposing offense leads the league in plays over 25 yards at 3 per game. We should play more zone against this offense and keep the ball in front of us to prevent big plays.

The opposing quarterback has a 101 QBR when he has 4 or more seconds to pass. Their right tackle does poorly against speed rushers allowing pressure on 30% of his snaps. We should pinch the middle and bring an extra rusher on the outside to force him to roll out left or be sacked.

4 minutes ago, Dex said:

I don't at all agree with your view. Analytics are HUGE in football and prep. Examples...

How much success does the opposing team have running to the right or the left. They run right 61% of the time gaining over 5 yards 82% of the time. That means we should focus our attention at right side A gap and keep an extra defender close to the line on running downs.

The opposing corner has been on a hot streak lately only allowing 7% of the passing being thrown his way to be completed with 15% of passes being intercepted. He plays the left side of the field 92% of the time so we should put our #1 on the right side to create a mismatch and increase the rate of completions by taking him out of the game.

The opposing offense leads the league in plays over 25 yards at 3 per game. We should play more zone against this offense and keep the ball in front of us to prevent big plays.

The opposing quarterback has a 101 QBR when he has 4 or more seconds to pass. Their right tackle does poorly against speed rushers allowing pressure on 30% of his snaps. We should pinch the middle and bring an extra rusher on the outside to force him to roll out left or be sacked.

of course its huge in prep. no disagreement there. i was under the impression they were hiring him to provide analytics directly related to individual scouting of players. which i was curious to see how that would work. the stuff you mentioned are regular parts of film breakdown that a quality control analyst would be able to provide data on. i think my skepticism comes from PFF providing individual advanced analytics on players and everyone on here always shitting on it. lol

Analytics have been part of professional football for a while. Ernie Adams, someone maybe a dozen people know about, has essentially been an analyst for over 20 years with Bill Belichick. The coach credits Adams for much of what went into their dynasty.

There is a specialization of analytics that defines the modern day structure. Old farts holding on to a simpler time will find reasons to not like it. 

The analytics need to be reliable and in-step with the philosophies of the head coach and general manager. 

You don’t need to throw parade over this. It was long overdue, and there’s no guarantees of success. Analytics guys will be the first to tell you this. 

3 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

of course its huge in prep. no disagreement there. i was under the impression they were hiring him to provide analytics directly related to individual scouting of players. which i was curious to see how that would work. the stuff you mentioned are regular parts of film breakdown that a quality control analyst would be able to provide data on. i think my skepticism comes from PFF providing individual advanced analytics on players and everyone on here always shitting on it. lol

Literally I have no clue what you're talking about but okay. Don't forget situational analytics as well such as 2 point conversion rates. It's about time the Panthers entered the 21st century.

Analytics is not just about the game on Sundays. Player acquisitions (draft and FA), practice times, meetings, drills, risk of injuries, etc.

It's really been taken to another level with regards to the data that's available. Rivera already understands that but hasn't had the expertise to fully utilize it. Guessing Tepper had a hand in this but Ron has embraced it for some time as well. He just should have hired @KB_fan like four years ago. 

Archived