• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fear Inoculum

Ricky Spanish

fuging dope. I've been listening to it on repeat for a week and I'm still not tired of it. Tool is probably my favorite band and this poo still slaps after a 13 year hiatus. Some people go to church to get closer to god, I listen to their music and feel the same thing.

I'm a stereotypical Tool Stan but I don't care. I love this band and I'm so damn happy this album finally dropped. Just got tickets to their show in November when they'll be at PNC. Can't wait. Bucket listen item will be checked off. 

I'm going to that show too. Forgot to get tickets this weekend but will tonight. Nice thing about a Tool concert...it doesn't matter how close you sit. You basically sit there and listen to them (or maybe stand there and listen to them). There really aren't bad seats to their concerts because it's all about the music and the light show can be seen from just about anywhere.

The album is fantastic. The only criticism I have, and I'm not sure it's a criticism, is that it doesn't sound new. Like they picked up right where they left off 13 years ago. But their sound hasn't evolved. I'm the guy who thinks each album was better than the last and I can't say that now. I think 10,000 Days is still the better album.

BUT I think this album is great and I've been listening straight too. Pneuma and 7empest really jump out at me but there isn't a bad song there.

I appreciate the top-notch musicianship and production, as always with Tool, but the album itself is just OK IMO. Perhaps I just lean towards more 'traditional' western song structures for my active listening choices so this one is just more background-type noise for me.

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

I appreciate the top-notch musicianship and production, as always with Tool, but the album itself is just OK IMO. Perhaps I just lean towards more 'traditional' western song structures for my active listening choices so this one is just more background-type noise for me.

Same boat for me. I like atmospheric, but in the Slipknot "We Are Not Your Kind" way. I've listened to Fear Inoculum a few times and enjoy it, it's good. It's just not something that I listen to like I do other stuff. I think Slipknot has the stronger album release. Just shows how strong the Tool fan base is though.

I feel this album would have been the natural progression after Lateralus honestly.    10,000 Days feels like its the most recent in progression to me.   That said, I really like the album, it grows on you, but it's such a "dedicated" listen, even more so than normal tool (I mean you have to really focus).     I'm not sure I like it better than 10,000 days though I like that a lot more than others (I think Wings for Marie 1/2 is the best thing they have done).    Not sure I like it better than Lateralus either.    I'd put it tied with Aenima for me.     However ranking Tool albums is kind of silly because each one is fantastic.     The drumming on this album is the real MVP though.   Honestly, I feel Maynard was the weakest link on this album for once.    Not saying much because every one of them are amazing musicians.   

This won't be a popular opinion, but I'm not that impressed. Then again, I've never been into Tool all that much, and thought they were just a trendy band with cool videos. I guess they did open the doors a bit to progressive music, but meh.

I've often wondered how many Tool and NIN stickers and shirts have sold over the years, though. Both those bands are kind of in the same boat to me, where I can appreciate some of what they did/do, but I don't really get it. They both were/are trendy Hot Topic bands IMHO. It is just pretty empty and and somewhat forced emotion to me on a musical level.

On 9/12/2019 at 1:02 PM, TheRumGone said:

Lol at slipknot.

the new album doesn’t have the same payoffs vocally as previous albums. But this one is a slow burner for me. I keep coming back to it. 7empest might be Adam’s best song he’s ever written. It fuging bangs. 

Yeah this isn't Maynard's best work honestly but the rest of the band SHINES.    

I just wish Tool would release their stuff on vinyl, like real vinyl not picture disk or anything like that.     Would be immediate like $150 bucks from me.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m also going to their show when their in my town late next october

but I am not impressed and honestly I haven't liked a lot of their past few albums except a song or two. feels like they just get on this band practicing on drugs and go off on this off beat random meaningless sounds thing...

APC’s new album is not as good as their old stuff but is pretty good

slipknot has been dead since iowa lol unless you’re a radio listener

All that said undertow and Anema is some of the best music I have ever listened too

On 9/9/2019 at 12:36 PM, Moorgan said:

BUT I think this album is great and I've been listening straight too. Pneuma and 7empest really jump out at me but there isn't a bad song there.

Agree 

Also, how’s it going stranger? haven’t seen you around much. 

On 9/10/2019 at 6:57 PM, Zaximus said:

I feel this album would have been the natural progression after Lateralus honestly.    10,000 Days feels like its the most recent in progression to me.   That said, I really like the album, it grows on you, but it's such a "dedicated" listen, even more so than normal tool (I mean you have to really focus).     I'm not sure I like it better than 10,000 days though I like that a lot more than others (I think Wings for Marie 1/2 is the best thing they have done).    Not sure I like it better than Lateralus either.    I'd put it tied with Aenima for me.     However ranking Tool albums is kind of silly because each one is fantastic.     The drumming on this album is the real MVP though.   Honestly, I feel Maynard was the weakest link on this album for once.    Not saying much because every one of them are amazing musicians.   

I’m gonna have to agree with this. It doesn’t sound new if that makes sense. I like the album. This is literally the first Tool album that I didn’t think was better than the last. I like it but I am a little disappointed.

3 hours ago, Moorgan said:

I’m gonna have to agree with this. It doesn’t sound new if that makes sense. I like the album. This is literally the first Tool album that I didn’t think was better than the last. I like it but I am a little disappointed.

To me it really is the lack of vocal payoff that we’re use to Maynard doing. It was lacking in APC too. The most obvious reason is he’s older (I think he’s in his 50s) and he has to play these songs live. I don’t think he has the vocal chops anymore for those screams/yells. But what he’s doing is interesting vocally it’s just not the same. And I’m ok with that. I still got the usual chills from the songs.

i saw APC on their eat the elephant tour earlier this year. He can’t hit the notes he use to but it was still incredible.

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

To me it really is the lack of vocal payoff that we’re use to Maynard doing. It was lacking in APC too. The most obvious reason is he’s older (I think he’s in his 50s) and he has to play these songs live. I don’t think he has the vocal chops anymore for those screams/yells. But what he’s doing is interesting vocally it’s just not the same. And I’m ok with that. I still got the usual chills from the songs.

i saw APC on their eat the elephant tour earlier this year. He can’t hit the notes he use to but it was still incredible.

I liked the recent APC and I'm ok with him experimenting there but I do wish we got a bit more out of this album like you said.    Still great album and hope they drop it on vinyl.  

Archived