• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How a Notebook Has Helped Cam Newton Overhaul His Learning Strategy

GRWatcher

1 hour ago, Icege said:

I'm a kinetic learner with brutal ADHD

Visual is second best, but I struggled in school due to never being mentally present while in class and having to learn entirely through the other methods (visual, audio, and reading).

I learn best from being able to use my hands and explore. If you give me a rock and tell me to look at it, I'm going to likely drift off into my own head. If you tell me to pick it up and tell you about it, that's a whole other story.

So yea, we do exist, and yes, knowledge osmosis is superior kthx

You are right.  I am an education professor and I have done a lot of research in the area of learning, focusing on trauma-sensitive, social-emotional learning environments to maximize learning for abused and neglected children.  In actuality, brains try to absorb all of the "data" they can get through the senses.  It is not the senses that determines how well or meaningful learning is--it is the supportive environment.  The reason/motivation and the social situation.  For example, if you were going to examine that rock to see if it would be an adequate weapon to defend yourself against an intruding gunman, you would want to feel it to measure the weight and how comfortable it feels in your hands--what it looks like is irrelevant.  There is a degree of trauma/stress involved, so your brain is in defense mode, making logical and critical thinking difficult--but you are with 2 others, so you seek their opinions and feedback, to help your motivation and confidence.   Once you have decided that the rock is appropriate, you may then resort to your visual learning skills to determine where to attack the gunman--again, you may need some feedback.

The brain is not wired to one way of learning--as you know--but it seeks a combination of sensory signals (as you did with the rock/gunman) to increase the probablility of correctness.

When our senses come together and confirm what the brain is thinking, it is confidence aligned with a perception of realism or truth.  Optical allusions, for example, demonstrate how visual learners can be duped.   Fox news is another example of how visual and auditory learning can lead to ignorant decisions because they have learned to use illusions to resemble actual logic.

38 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

The reason/motivation and the social situation.  For example, if you were going to examine that rock to see if it would be an adequate weapon to defend yourself against an intruding gunman, you would want to feel it to measure the weight and how comfortable it feels in your hands--what it looks like is irrelevant.  There is a degree of trauma/stress involved, so your brain is in defense mode, making logical and critical thinking difficult--but you are with 2 others, so you seek their opinions and feedback, to help your motivation and confidence.   Once you have decided that the rock is appropriate, you may then resort to your visual learning skills to determine where to attack the gunman--again, you may need some feedback.

The brain is not wired to one way of learning--as you know--but it seeks a combination of sensory signals (as you did with the rock/gunman) to increase the probablility of correctness.

When our senses come together and confirm what the brain is thinking, it is confidence aligned with a perception of realism or truth.  Optical allusions, for example, demonstrate how visual learners can be duped.   Fox news is another example of how visual and auditory learning can lead to ignorant decisions because they have learned to use illusions to resemble actual logic.

Do you have any further recommended reading on learning styles, best practices, etc?

A lot of people think and say they are visual. Everyone says that as far as learning.

having to write things down and study them later actually has little to do with being a “visual learner”. 

Actually writing them down is audible,.. and kinesthetic. Visual is last.

the thing is, when I went to an instructor trainer class in the military we spent a lot of time on learning types.

about 70% of the people(including me) that think they are visual learners are false,.. fake news ha.

like I found out I’m audible first, kinesthetic second visual last.  I argued hard as most people will... deny at something that’s opposite to what you think.

what will really bake your noodle is after gathering information, then I have to go write it out, draw what I see in my mind.

thats why many think they are visual... the pictures.

Just rambling FYI. 

A visual learner watches and then does,.. watches and then does. Looks at something while they draw,.. 

but many are still taking the information in audibly as their primary...

a kinesthetic touches as they do,. Grips a football while watching etc,.. doing the mental reps,.. getting the feel as they watch.

not a visual but a kinesthetic. 

When I needed a piece of information/knowledge for a test or for class interaction, I would recall the page that information was on and literally read it from the vision of the page in my mind whether from a textbook, a novel or story, or from my class notes. I still do it that way. I don't retain anything much from information being spoken to me. And if it was hands on learning, as with that rock example, I would recall the sight of that rock. I was diagnosed with dyslexia in college but what do you call that type of learning?

36 minutes ago, GRWatcher said:

When I needed a piece of information/knowledge for a test or for class interaction, I would recall the page that information was on and literally read it from the vision of the page in my mind whether from a textbook, a novel or story, or from my class notes. I still do it that way. I don't retain anything much from information being spoken to me. And if it was hands on learning, as with that rock example, I would recall the sight of that rock. I was diagnosed with dyslexia in college but what do you call that type of learning?

The key is when you are learning are you staring and your hands idol or are you touching a desk, especially moving hands or feet back and forth(almost like touching the information, or organizing it on what you are touching.)

when you draw, do you hear the instructor or yourself speak the words as you write them?

either one of those would be your second as you are most likely visual first.

i have to see it,.. but I never noticed that I turn my head away from the instructors,.. or that while they talk I scribble, still watch obviously(no one is not visual at all).

then you process... it becomes pictures, sound etc in your head.

i process by writing it back out, the visuals and sounds— of course how it felt.

in your case if you just watch, don’t touch, don’t listen,.. can watch just pictures in silence, then probably visual.

someone like Cam is a Kinesthetic first, audible second. That’s why he has to walk away and then be alone to write it all down.

I took scribble notes in class. No one but me could read them. Then later, once home, I wrote the notes out in full understandable English. I would remember the pages of notes that I wrote out after that. I made money selling my class notes in college lol. I remembered textbook or novel pages after reading them twice. Highlighting never helped. But I don't need speech/sound to remember pictures of things that I processed but I do need pictures (even if just in my head) to remember speech/sound.

10 hours ago, MHS831 said:

You learn through all senses.  I think he means as opposed to auditory.  A cook may learn through taste and smell or even texture.  Your attempt at sarcasm, hiowever, suggests that your brand of learning may not be as effective as you assume it is.:thinking:

We as a species receive  like 70-80% of what we know through our eyes. We are all visual learners. It irks me when people say that they are a visual learner as if they are some exception to the norm. 

3 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

We as a species receive  like 70-80% of what we know through our eyes. We are all visual learners. It irks me when people say that they are a visual learner as if they are some exception to the norm. 

I don't think you really understand what learning styles are, nor do I believe that you have read any of the responses that would educate you otherwise.

Willful ignorance is a damn shame.

Archived