• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching matters. Take a look and find out why.

ellis

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Ron does exactly what McVay and Wade do only in reverse order. Norv is totally responsible for the offense while Ron coaches the defense. Still Ron calls the plays to Washington while he relays them to Kuechly the same as Norv calls the plays to Scott who relays them to Cam. So Washington is involved in every play and should have stepped in when Ron was arguing. They are both on the sidelines virtually a few yards apart. Why can't Washington call a play and why can't Ron delegate when he is occupied with an official?

I mean, sure Washington could do that, but play-calling is not and should not be a one off thing.  It is a cause and effect game of chess, or it should be.   

If things are in crunch time, and McVay is 3rd and 17, after they just gave up a sack and McVay thought there was roughing the passer, but do you think for 1 second he is going to lose focus to yell at the refs and delegate that play call for someone else. Not a chance.  

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I honestly don't think he believes he has them. I'd like to think he'd have done more about them already.

Among Ron's other weaknesses are player evaluation and coaching personnel evaluation. Knowing that, it's not a big stretch to suggest he's not a good self scout.

Yeah, if this is true, then this would be a good time for Tepper to step in and give him some management advice about hiring help to cover weaknesses. 

1 minute ago, PantherBrew said:

I mean, sure Washington could do that, but play-calling is not and should not be a one off thing.  It is a cause and effect game of chess, or it should be.   

If things are in crunch time, and McVay is 3rd and 17, after they just gave up a sack and McVay thought there was roughing the passer, but do you think for 1 second he is going to lose focus to yell at the refs and delegate that play call for someone else. Not a chance.  

Not arguing hypotheticals but responding to your comment that Washington couldn't have stepped in while Ron was occupied. I think he should have,  given he communicates directly with the defense while Ron doesn't. No reason I can see he can't or shouldn't have if they are working as a team.

4 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Should an 8+ year head coach get so wound up talking at an official that he forgets his job?

What exactly do you think that ref is going to do?

Again his job is calling plays on game day and helping with a gameplan. Washington does the day to day work and coordinates all the defensive coaches. They are a team so absolutely Washington should have stepped in and called the play. He should have seen Ron was occupied. They literally stand close to each other.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Not arguing hypotheticals but responding to your comment that Washington couldn't have stepped in while Ron was occupied. I think he should have,  given he communicates directly with the defense while Ron doesn't. No reason I can see he can't or shouldn't have if they are working as a team.

Okay, well i am just telling you.  Even though it was only high school, i have been in this exact situation.  It is Ron's job to not allow himself to be occupied.  I defend Ron more than most, but he would tell you that if the question was asked. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Cheering for mediocrity doesn't make you a good fan.

I'm not in favor of "fire everybody if we don't win the Super Bowl every season" either, but Rivera has had plenty of time and every opportunity at this point. As many have said, there's no more room for excuses.

Yes same old mistakes ..I can deal with Cams occasional over throws because most of the time he makes up for it. I understand what he may be feeling rushed scared of getting hit.instant pressure. How hard is it to manage timeouts? Hold your staff accountable. Rookies are benched  and put in his dog house and veteran who have made mistakes clearly loss a step are playing when they shouldn't  play as much. How can the rookie learn from the bench.

1 minute ago, PantherBrew said:

Okay, well i am just telling you.  Even though it was only high school, i have been in this exact situation.  It is Ron's job to not allow himself to be occupied.  I defend Ron more than most, but he would tell you that if the question was asked. 

Don't agree. That fumble call was probably the biggest call of the game at that point. Why do you think he let Washington call plays in preseason? So he could help out in exactly this type of situation. I promise you they talked about it this week and hopefully will be better prepared when it happens again.

24 minutes ago, PantherBrew said:

Yeah, if this is true, then this would be a good time for Tepper to step in and give him some management advice about hiring help to cover weaknesses. 

Possible, but I think there comes a point where you just have to say to yourself "this guy doesn't get it".

Nine years and still making the same mistakes is a decent indicator that we may have hit that point.

48 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Again his job is calling plays on game day and helping with a gameplan. Washington does the day to day work and coordinates all the defensive coaches. They are a team so absolutely Washington should have stepped in and called the play. He should have seen Ron was occupied. They literally stand close to each other.

Rons job is to call the plays.  That's what he should be doing.  Getting incensed at a ref, after the play in question was over is exhibiting a lack of self control, and a lack of urgency on his part to get the play call in.

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

Rons job is to call the plays.  That's what he should be doing.  Getting incensed at a ref, after the play in question was over is exhibiting a lack of self control, and a lack of urgency on his part to get the play call in.

Defensive coaches are almost always more emotional than offensive coaches. It is part of their nature while offensive coaches tend to be cerebral and controlled. So yeah he should have told Washington to call things while he argued but let's be real here. Once you are angry it is pretty hard just to put the stopper in your feelings and shift gears. Especially for defensive guys 

Archived