• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Arizona’s Air-Raid Offense

ellis

10 minutes ago, ellis said:

Long-term, I agree. Short term, I still think it’s a dangerous offense. Once defenses catch up and a bit of the novelty wears off, it could very well turn into a Kelly situation.

It’s funny, they keep hitting the wall in the red zone. It’s been a trend over the past couple weeks, and KK’s actually been criticized quite a bit for settling for field goals. Something we will touch on more tonight.

Yeah. Even Kelly drew some praise early on.

The crazy thing about Kingsbury, if I recall correctly, is that he didn't even have a winning record as a college head coach.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah. Even Kelly drew some praise early on.

The crazy thing about Kingsbury, if I recall correctly, is that he didn't even have a winning record as a college head coach.

Hard to recruit elite defensive players to Texas Tech.

32 minutes ago, ellis said:

It’s funny, they keep hitting the wall in the red zone. It’s been a trend over the past couple weeks, and KK’s actually been criticized quite a bit for settling for field goals. Something we will touch on more tonight.

Aren't struggles in the red zone a common problem for rookie quarterbacks? The field is smaller, the windows tighter and everything has to happen that much quicker.

Just now, trueblade said:

Aren't struggles in the red zone a common problem for rookie quarterbacks? The field is smaller, the windows tighter and everything has to happen that much quicker.

Correct. There’s no question, but I think part of that is the design of the offense. They just seem to have a harder time in tighter windows. I’m curious to get a closer look at it later on. I do want to see what Baltimore did v what Detroit did. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's not necessarily just rookie quarterbacks. Some veteran quarterbacks struggle in the Red Zone too.

Playing in a "big play" based offense probably doesn't help.

Exactly. The route tree alone is a conceptual nightmare in tight spaces. You’re not going to score TDs on as many 30+ yard plays in the pros as you are in college ball. Defenses are too good for that at this level.

Thus, you’ll spend more time in the red zone in the pros. It’s an adjustment.

4 minutes ago, ellis said:

Exactly. The route tree alone is a conceptual nightmare in tight spaces. You’re not going to score TDs on as many 30+ yard plays in the pros as you are in college ball. Defenses are too good for that at this level.

Thus, you’ll spend more time in the red zone in the pros. It’s an adjustment.

Don Coryell always accounted for that by having a good power running game.

This is a game our highest paid defensive line is going to have to dominate.  Simple as that.  Especially Short and McCoy.  No QB, mobile or not, is going to be as effective with pressure right up the middle.

I personally think our secondary has played WAY better than they did for most of last year.  Both Goff and Jameis made some throws (as NFL QB's get paid to do), but the secondary has not looked lost the way they did repeatedly last year.  Reid needs to tackle better (for a guy that is usually in the right spot, he goes for the kill vs a fundamental tackle and it's infuriating).  Overall, though, they are not the reason we are losing or the defense overall.

Finally, our offense is going to have to score 25+ points.  That is just table stakes at this point with trying to compete with modern NFL offenses.  We have the weapons to do it.  The offensive line has got to man up, the receivers have got to win their matchups, and Allen has got to deliver good balls.

I'm not trying to crap on Arizona, but they are on paper the easiest game we have left.  Other than QB with Cam being out, there is not a position across both teams where the Panthers should not be better.  Maybe WR is a wash.  Patrick Peterson is still out.  Chandler Jones and Terrell Suggs are both long in the tooth.  There are no other players that jump out at you.  

Kingsbury's system may be new and novel, but if we can't win this game with 10 days to prepare, Cam or not, we will be lucky to win 4-5 games this year.

36 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

This is a game our highest paid defensive line is going to have to dominate.  Simple as that.  Especially Short and McCoy.  No QB, mobile or not, is going to be as effective with pressure right up the middle.

I personally think our secondary has played WAY better than they did for most of last year.  Both Goff and Jameis made some throws (as NFL QB's get paid to do), but the secondary has not looked lost the way they did repeatedly last year.  Reid needs to tackle better (for a guy that is usually in the right spot, he goes for the kill vs a fundamental tackle and it's infuriating).  Overall, though, they are not the reason we are losing or the defense overall.

Finally, our offense is going to have to score 25+ points.  That is just table stakes at this point with trying to compete with modern NFL offenses.  We have the weapons to do it.  The offensive line has got to man up, the receivers have got to win their matchups, and Allen has got to deliver good balls.

I'm not trying to crap on Arizona, but they are on paper the easiest game we have left.  Other than QB with Cam being out, there is not a position across both teams where the Panthers should not be better.  Maybe WR is a wash.  Patrick Peterson is still out.  Chandler Jones and Terrell Suggs are both long in the tooth.  There are no other players that jump out at you.  

Kingsbury's system may be new and novel, but if we can't win this game with 10 days to prepare, Cam or not, we will be lucky to win 4-5 games this year.

If Arizona plays us like they did against Baltimore, they’re going to run us out the building.

Archived