• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Personal news, and a thank you.

ellis

My mom died on Friday. It wasn’t completely expected. It’s been a really really tough couple of weeks.

I want to thank you guys for letting me engage with you over those weeks with good conversations here. One of the last things she told me was how proud she was of the work we’ve done lately on the website and over on Twitter. So many of you guys here have made that possible, in a very short time.

The only thing she loved more than the Panthers was the joy it brought to her sons, seeing their faces as youngsters when the team would pull out one of those signature wins.  I just wanted to share that with you guys, and if it’s not your flavor, just like anything else it’s perfectly fine.

If I only had one subscriber, and it was her on her deathbed, it would be enough. Thank you guys for giving me a moment of your time today. We will still have updates throughout the week on today’s big win, and if and when we take a day or two off for the next steps, will give you a heads up.

Rest assured, this train ain’t stopping. She wouldn’t have allowed it.

No apologies needed. We opened up about it on Facebook and Twitter, because we’ve developed some really close friends on those platforms. Like I said, I feel like I know many of you guys really well, and the scores of you that I don’t, we still have a great time every week chatting it up. 

It’s hard to know what to say or how to react when you lose a parent. This is my first rodeo. Sometimes, people want to close it all in. My first reaction is to write. Getting things down on paper. Hitting send? I don’t always do that. But to honor her, I want as many eyeballs to see her story as possible.

Thank you for the kind words.

My favorite Panthers memory of mom was when she took us all out to eat at Maggiano’s at South Park right after the Panthers beat the buccaneers at home in 2003. Just so happened a bunch of panthers walked in. Big ones. Jake, Foxy, Buckner on crutches, Kris, Pep. I’ll never forget, Jake and Fox were wearing leather jackets, and my mom was yelling out over the restaurant “JAKE!!! JAKE!!!! LOVE THAT COAT!!”...later adding: “JAKE!!! COME MEET MY SONS!!” 

I was mortified, embarrassed, and thoroughly entertained all in one moment. That perfectly sums up her dynamic personality. 

God bless her. Made a damn scene, and I loved every minute of it.

That was a great night.

Archived