• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What record will it take to get a wildcard spot

PleaseCutStewart

If we don't beat out the Saints to win the division, what record will it take to reach the playoffs as a wildcard?

Seahawks have an easy 2 next games, but after that their schedule is pretty brutal the rest of the year minus a game against Arizona.

Vikings also have a pretty tough schedule after Washington next Thursday.

Rams still have the talent to reach the playoffs.

I'm thinking we can't be any worse than 10-6, and that may be tough with our NFC record possibly being bad. It might take 11-5 to reach the playoffs, which is a tall order.

@49ers, @packers, 2 with the Saints, Seahawks, and @Colts will all be tough games - and that's assuming we avoid a stinker against the Falcons

3 minutes ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

yeah, that home loss to Tampa was a killer, both for conference record and division record if we split with NO and have the same record

Saints had a lot of close wins against average competition. There schedule is not much easier than ours. Beating the bears with no QB or offense is not that big of a thing. Allen is an upgrade vs Trubisky. Not only the ducks Trubisky threw but he lucked out with 2 missed FG from the saints and he had a lot of passes that should have been picked And the luck went the other way. 

5 minutes ago, Snake said:

I would say 13-3 or at the least 12-4.

22 minutes ago, GoPanthers123 said:

We have 2 NFC losses too.  I think 11-5 and get help from upsets.

11-5 maybe 10-6. If the conference keeps sinking though 9-7. We are a game back from any of those right now though. If we beat San Fran though we’ll get that game back. Except V. LA.

10-6 teams missing the playoffs is pretty common place. It honestly probably happens in more seasons than not. Meanwhile, only two 11-5 teams have ever missed the playoffs. No 12-4 team has ever missed the playoffs.

So, I'll say our odds are probably less than 50% at 10-6 but damn near guaranteed at 11-5.

3 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

11-5 maybe 10-6. If the conference keeps sinking though 9-7. We are a game back from any of those right now though. If we beat San Fran though we’ll get that game back. Except V. LA.

Yeah the 49ers is a huge game. Lose that one and we need to sweep the saints and Falcons. 

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

10-6 teams missing the playoffs is pretty common place. It honestly probably happens in more seasons than not. Meanwhile, only two 11-5 teams have ever missed the playoffs. No 12-4 team has ever missed the playoffs.

So, I'll say our odds are probably less than 50% at 10-6 but damn near guaranteed at 11-5.

It’s doesn’t. 9 teams have missed sense the current format. It’s been 29 years. Most years a 10-6 team makes it, a little over 66 percent of the time. Being we have no clue what the season brings for any team when I is not half way in, I say 10-6 probably makes it. 

The Panthers have won 4 in a row and if the playoffs started today would currently be out. The NFC is stacked this year so with our 2 early losses there is really no margin for error.

The NFC East looks like a 2 team race between Dallas and Philly with only the divisional winner making it in. Washington and the Giants are going no where fast. Washington will have a new head coach next season and Gettlemagic hasn't quite worked so well for the G-men yet.

NFC North has the Packers and Vikings rolling. They play against the NFC East and AFC West this year so it's not too many games left on their schedule were the Packers and Vikings won't be the more talented team. The Bears and Detroit can be dangerous opponents but I don't see either one making a run this season.

The NFC West is the best division in the NFC with every team .500 or better, even the Cardinals which is looking like a better win each week, (Panthers gave them their worst loss of the season). The NFC West teams are going to beat up on each other don't know how that shakes out but I don't think they get 3 teams from the division into the playoffs.

The NFC South is a two team race with the Saints and the Panthers battle of the backups. The Panthers are 1-1 against NFC West teams while the Saints are 0-1. Good thing for the Panthers all of our toughest games will be on the road and we should favored in most home games. If we could steal a game or two on the road I see 10 wins being the magic number for getting a wildcard spot. 

The NFL is the quintessential week to week league though, so what is down can be up. Alot more games to play, just hope the Panthers keep this mojo going and take it to the 49ers next week. 

28 minutes ago, lovelett said:

It’s doesn’t. 9 teams have missed sense the current format. It’s been 29 years. Most years a 10-6 team makes it, a little over 66 percent of the time. Being we have no clue what the season brings for any team when I is not half way in, I say 10-6 probably makes it. 

10-6 very well could get it done, I just think this might be one of the years that it doesn't. Right now in the NFC , you have a two 5-2 teams in 2nd place in their division then you have us at 4-2 in 2nd place and the Rams are in 3rd in their division at 4-3. Then you have the overall weak NFC East where the 7th best record in the conference is leading the division. 

A lot can change, but right now it's shaping up to be the perfect storm for a really good team to be left at home.

1 hour ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

If we don't beat out the Saints to win the division, what record will it take to reach the playoffs as a wildcard?

Seahawks have an easy 2 next games, but after that their schedule is pretty brutal the rest of the year minus a game against Arizona.

Vikings also have a pretty tough schedule after Washington next Thursday.

Rams still have the talent to reach the playoffs.

I'm thinking we can't be any worse than 10-6, and that may be tough with our NFC record possibly being bad. It might take 11-5 to reach the playoffs, which is a tall order.

@49ers, @packers, 2 with the Saints, Seahawks, and @Colts will all be tough games - and that's assuming we avoid a stinker against the Falcons

Win 4 in a row and 2 out of our next 4 games are against crap teams with the next game being a 6-0 team who couldn’t put 10 points on the redskins... I hate to tell you, you have to win hard game to go to the super bowl... beat 49ers, titans, and falcons and lose in GB we start the season 7-3 with a matchup with the Saints that would almost be a must win if they don’t lose anytime soon... 8-4 if we lose that beat the falcons and redskins you’re 10-4...  that leaves Seattle and saints...we beat Seattle and are 11-4 at the finale, the question is did the saints go 12-3 at the very worst and have 1 division loss to make this interesting? Cam playing hurt vs Tampa has completely screwed us, but I’m not counting my cards for the wild card... anyone who thinks we are going to win 3 straight road games with Ron coaching is smoking. We gotta beat GB imo if we can’t win in NO, gotta go 2-1 over the @SF @NO and @GB stretch preferably with the win being in NO. If we beat the 9ers, GB, and Saints, our likely week 17 concern will be whether we’re gonna be the #1 or #2 seed. If cam is nowhere near ready, this is where Kyle would need to earn this job. Only on the huddle we’re debating wild card scenarios after winning 4 in a row after starting 0-2 due to a clearly injured QB playing. 

Archived