• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Groin injury for Daley? Williams to LT

raleigh-panther

31 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

The air coryell which we run is a vertical pass attack. Just saying... 

That is true.   But the present version of the Panthers are not driven by the vertical passing aspect.  

Quick slants and check downs are also a big part of what Norv is about with Allen and our OL (and opponents).....that is our bread and butter when CMC isn’t running  

While I'm thinking about it, here's a concern of mine going into next year:

I really do believe we need some improvements along the offensive line, and that if we were to make the kind of commitment that we've seen teams like the Cowboys make on that front, we could really make some noise in the future.

Going back to what we see right now though, I think the quick passing game is making some of our guys look better than they really are. And that could lead to us saying "nah, we're good".

Rivera hasn't been someone who's prioritized the offensive line. I would really like to see that change.

1 hour ago, CRA said:

That is true.   But the present version of the Panthers are not driven by the vertical passing aspect.  

Quick slants and check downs are also a big part of what Norv is about with Allen and our OL (and opponents).....that is our bread and butter when CMC isn’t running  

The point of having a vertical attack is to keep the safeties deep which opens up the short to immediate routes. Using play action freezes the linebackers which allows you to find gaps and seams behind them.  When we can't throw deep or don't have the threat of going deep, teams load the box which makes it hard to run or pass. 

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

The point of having a vertical attack is to keep the safeties deep which opens up the short to immediate routes. Using play action freezes the linebackers which allows you to find gaps and seams behind them.  When we can't throw deep or don't have the threat of going deep, teams load the box which makes it hard to run or pass. 

my point is simply, we are leaning primarily on other aspects.   The vertical pass game isn't relied upon as heavily as it often can be.  I am not dismissing it the vertical pass all together.   But our current version of the offense isn't as dependent on the big chunk plays.   We might still get them.  But we frankly are looking to complete 3-4 a game. 

you can go back to last year, Norv made similar adjustments when Cam got to the point he just couldn't make throws downfield.  He has made adjustments because of the OL (in conjunction w/ the fronts we have faced) and Kyle Allen being the QB. 

1 minute ago, CRA said:

my point is simply, we are leaning primarily on other aspects.   The vertical pass game isn't relied upon as heavily as it often can be.  I am not dismissing it the vertical pass all together.   But our current version of the offense isn't as dependent on the big chunk plays.   We might still get them.  But we frankly are looking to complete 3-4 a game. 

you can go back to last year, Norv made similar adjustments when Cam got to the point he just couldn't make throws downfield.  He has made adjustments because of the OL (in conjunction w/ the fronts we have faced) and Kyle Allen being the QB. 

You don't have to throw it 20 yards down field on every play to run our offense but you have to have the ability and threat of doing it in order to loosen up defenses. As Kyle gets more comfortable you will likely see more chunk plays. When we adjusted the offense to account for Cam's shoulder, how many of those did we win? That may be what we had to do but it isn't a winning strategy for us or something we want to do.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm starting to wonder if we're going to see much of Little at all this season.

And given what he's suffering from, I'm also questioning whether we should.

With two concussions in that short of a time period, I would legitimately question whether we see him again. Period.

7 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Back to my original summation, he was a full participant in practice today. Like I said "early in the week, there's some gamesmanship" and players do get healthier.

I don't know if I can see gamesmanship in this one because I doubt anybody believed Greg Little had a shot.

Archived