• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hypothetical: IF Cam is done for the year and we miss the playoffs.......

ncfan

1.  Does Rivera lose his job?  I think We know the answer to this as @Jeremy Igo has noted this past year.

2. Whats Cam's future with a new staff?  He will be on his last year of his deal, coming off another injury.  Does the new staff want to hold onto him his last year?  Or atleast try to get something for him.

3. QB and the Draft?  Is it out of the Question that we could draft a QB in the 1st?  New Staff like their guy.   We saw this with Rivera grabbing Newton after Jimmy Clausen was just drafted in the 2nd the year prior. Tepper wants to win.  We saw Philly gets aggressive and move of for Carson Wentz becausr they thought they had all the tools elsewhere and were just a QB away from a playoff team.   

Knowing how Ron Rivera feels about players ending their careers on their own terms, I would expect that if we keep our current braintrust, Newton has a significantly better chance of staying with the team.

If we don't, spending 20 million on a quarterback you have no ties with for a year of seeing whether he can play is a pretty tough sell.

That brings up another question, I suppose. Would you keep Rivera as head coach if it meant the difference between whether or not we retain Newton?

2 minutes ago, uncfan888 said:

Seeing as how most of this is Rivera's fault for playing him the first two weeks and seemingly having no idea what is going on.. Yeah, he should be gone 

Even if that means Newton is gone as well?

it's very possible that Cam Newton's future with this team could be tied to Ron Rivera's.

If we miss the playoffs with a 10-6 record Ron’s job still may be safe. A worst record & he is gone. The biggest factor is the 51-13 beat down from the 49ers. I understand the 49ers held us to 13 points, but our defense was supposed to be as good as theirs. Giving up 51 points coming a off a bye week is ridiculous. Kyle threw three picks but it’s not like they were all pick sixes for an easy 21 points. Kyle is a game manager right now.  If the defense plays to their potential we should be in any game, hence the four game winning streak. 

Just now, hepcat said:

Cam admitted he hid the injury from the team

He did so he is culpable to a degree. But if you can't see/acknowledge that your starting QB can't run, then you're probably more responsible. 

Bottom line though, just like last season, everyone knew Cam was hurt - including Rivera. Playcalling backs that up. 

2 minutes ago, gakonline said:

If we miss the playoffs with a 10-6 record Ron’s job still may be safe. A worst record & he is gone. The biggest factor is the 51-13 beat down from the 49ers. I understand the 49ers held us to 13 points, but our defense was supposed to be as good as theirs. Giving up 51 points coming a off a bye week is ridiculous. Kyle threw three picks but it’s not like they were all pick sixes for an easy 21 points. Kyle is a game manager right now.  If the defense plays to their potential we should be in any game, hence the four game winning streak. 

I don't really see us winning ten games with our remaining schedule.

I'm not even that certain we win nine.

Archived