• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Missing ingredient that I haven’t seen discussed

PantherBrew

So I am in Cozumel at a resort, literally on the beach as I am typing this. I watched that damned travesty of a game, while watching the waves in the background. 

Anyways, I was thinking about Greg Olsens comment. I think our defense is missing Thomas Davis. Luke is the brain of the defense. TD was the heart. He would be getting in folks face and holding them accountable. Don’t get me wrong, I agreed with moving on and Shaq has been very good. But TD was irreproachable as far as being a team leader and had the fire to get it done. 

I don't think so.  I think our defense is missing a little thing called "hope"... when the offense is constantly sh*tting the bed it drags the defense down.  You can't tell me it doesn't take wind out of their sails when they rally together to put up a great stop only to see our offense go out and throw two incompletions then a pick.

Defense would be better if the offense could score points. They go hand in hand, considering four turnovers, and short fields for ATL the defense played fairly inspired over all save a couple of plays. 

The best defense is a good offense, make teams one dimensional by putting up points allowing your team to play with an advantage. We play from behind so teams are able to keep us off balance. 

IMO more than a lot of things that is our biggest issue, we can't score. 

It's not TD, specifically. It's the accountability and grit that he brought to the table. If Luke is the defensive field general, then TD was the weather-beaten, scarred up, tough as nails master sergeant that kept discipline and put the fighting spirit into the team. Shaq is an outstanding linebacker but he doesn't have that persona that TD brought to the field. 

Somebody needs to step up and be that guy, but I'm not seeing it. It doesn't have to be a linebacker, as Mike Minter long served in that role in the days of yore. 

I don't see it on the D-line as even those guys seem to be a big bunch of teddy bears, skilled ones, but no intimidation factor whatsoever. 

In the DB group, Bradberry is just quiet, Jackson is well loud and getting beat like a borrowed mule, Reid hits but can't wrap up and Boston seems to be more of a talker than a leader (but he has performed better than anyone expected). 

Luke can point out the gaps and predict the offensive plays but he can't keep them to their assignments without TD back there breathing down their necks.

7 hours ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

I don't think so.  I think our defense is missing a little thing called "hope"... when the offense is constantly sh*tting the bed it drags the defense down.  You can't tell me it doesn't take wind out of their sails when they rally together to put up a great stop only to see our offense go out and throw two incompletions then a pick.

Enough with the excuses. You're saying that if the offense plays bad, the defense just gives up. It's the defense job to play defense regardless of what the offense does. I recall TD and Cam going in on each other during camp. Iron sharpens iron. These guys should take pride in making stops, getting it's and sacks. The defensive play has nothing to do with the offensive success or lack there of. Our players aren't prepared! 

Archived