• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are we stuck with the base 3-4 because of Burns?

rodeo

his presence on the roster seems like it's going to raise some issues going forward. our defense is undeniably built for the 4-3 and has been since the 90s. we switched to 3-4 seemingly on a desperate ploy to make something happen after Eric Washington failed to get anything out of the defense last year. so we drafted Burns to be our 3-4 edge rusher, and he's been really, really good.

so now that we can't stop the run because our transition to a 3-4 was rushed and clumsy, what do we do? even into next year. does our next head coach continue the transition, which means finding almost an entire new d-line across the board and probably 2-3 new linebackers? or do we go back to a 4-3, which our current roster is more suited to, but which leaves Burns in an awkward situation?

he's a 250 lbs speed rusher. i would certainly not want to rely on him to stop the run with his current skillset and physique. so do we ask him to put on 20 lbs and be a 4-3 DE?

if i'm Fewell i would switch to base 4-3 to ride out the season and see how Burns looks in it so the team knows how to evaluate going forward. i would also give Reid some looks at 4-3 OLB, which he excelled at in SF for 1 season before switching back due to their starting S's injury.

3 minutes ago, rodeo said:

just posted this since it's been proven that Tepper reads the huddle so i want him to hear my views

Reid at OLB would be downright sexy for 2-4 more years. I don’t dislike Reid. I just don’t like him at safety because his MID/DEEP coverage skills suck. 

He plays a lot like TD without being quite as skilled as TD(during his prime).

Burns will be fine. He has added weight and will continue to do so in the offseason. Hurney always said it will take him a couple years to develop where they need him, and he already fly by tackles right now as is. One could argue that we are better set up to switch back to 4-3 easier than 3-4 with the results we have had 

3 minutes ago, rodeo said:

his presence on the roster seems like it's going to raise some issues going forward. our defense is undeniably built for the 4-3 and has been since the 90s. we switched to 3-4 seemingly on a desperate ploy to make something happen after Eric Washington failed to get anything out of the defense last year. so we drafted Burns to be our 3-4 edge rusher, and he's been really, really good.

so now that we can't stop the run because our transition to a 3-4 was rushed and clumsy, what do we do? even into next year. does our next head coach continue the transition, which means finding almost an entire new d-line across the board and probably 2-3 new linebackers? or do we go back to a 4-3, which our current roster is more suited to, but which leaves Burns in an awkward situation?

he's a 250 lbs speed rusher. i would certainly not want to rely on him to stop the run with his current skillset and physique. so do we ask him to put on 20 lbs and be a 4-3 DE?

if i'm Fewell i would switch to base 4-3 to ride out the season and see how Burns looks in it so the team knows how to evaluate going forward. i would also give Reid some looks at 4-3 OLB, which he excelled at in SF for 1 season before switching back due to their starting S's injury.

I don't think that you can hamstring whomever you get as a head coach because of a mid first round player.

Any coach worth his salt would get up and walk out if you told him during an interview that he has to play a 3/4 because of a single player on this team.  Also the 3/4 puts Luke at a big disadvantage.

I much preferred Dillard or Bradbury in the draft, but was excited about the potential of Burns however....he will need to figure out how to stay healthy though.

So no, I don't think that will be an order, and yes, that could put Burns in a bad situation.

7 minutes ago, rodeo said:

Despite all the talk, Reid only played 1 game at linebacker

Considering 

1. We completely went to 3-4 edge guys.  Not just Burns. 

Our only Edge guys signed for next year are Marquise Haynes, Burns, Christian Miller.

2. Tepper seems to like the Steelers mold.  Steelers have long been a traditional 3-4.

So yes expect a 3-4

Not because of Burns

The scheme has been less of a problem than just the pure fact of injuries.  You need to have a fairly strong DL for a 3-4 to work.  And when it works, it works.  See Denver 2015.

When 2 of your 3 starting DL ends up on IR and the 3rd starter has played at less than 100% most of the year.  Then you backups are Vernon Butler (who most begged to be cut this offseason) and Kyle Love, oh and having Efe Obada have to learn the new position while forced into a major role.  Your going to be bad.  Going to be Real bad in that situation.

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think so. He has the frame to be an ideal 4-3 DE. He would probably just need to add 20-25 pounds. I think it's doable. 

I don't really care about the base defensive scheme.

I mean Jared Allen was had comparable height/weight.   I don't think Burns dictates anything. 

4 minutes ago, bobowilson said:

We have very few guys on our defensive line under contract moving forward, so why not switch to the 3-4

Luke is the only guy who doesn't fit into the 3-4 who isn't a free agent or likely to be cut next season like Short

I'd just trade Luke

Luke can play in anything. Basically a Patrick Willis.  

Luke's biggest issue right now isn't scheme but just weak play in front of him. 

Archived