• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The 34 and why it didn't work this year

Matt62881

I agree and will say that not even Poe in his prime would have sufficed. KK doesn’t either. Star might have. But if you go 3-4 with Luke you need to find your Vince Wilfork a pure NT. It’s surprising to me that we had no one to fill that role are are supposedly changing over. 

NT is the glue holds the 3-4 together...if I were to build a 3-4 that’s the first piece I’d put into place bar none. And yet we have none lol wtf. Granted that’s a hard spot to find good talent.

21 hours ago, Matt62881 said:

DE: Kawann Short

NT: top 10 monster NT

DE: Poe and Gerald McCoy on passing downs

OLB: Brian Burns 

MLB: Luke Kuechly 

MLB: Shaq Thompson 

OLB: Bruce Irvin

Just my opinion, to me this would be similar to the 2015 broncos and that who we want to emulate , they did it right......it can create the most dangerous d in the league, harder to create but much higher ceiling then the 43.

DE: Kawann Short

NT: Leki Fotu

DE: Raekwon Davis

OLB: Brian Burns 

MLB: Luke Kuechly 

MLB: Shaq Thompson 

OLB: Mario Addison 

1 hour ago, mc52beast said:

Like I said in a previous post I’m surprised Tepper only gave Ron a year to assemble his 34 defense. That was absolutely impossible and maybe Tepper knew that. 

Whatever the new HC wants to run we need Interior depth

When you've been the coach for nine seasons and have never found consistent success I don't think you get a bye year to execute a scheme change.

18 minutes ago, bull123 said:

our DL cant stop anybody...all they do is get blown off the line

jackson is not our biggest problem

This

NT in the 3-4 needs to take on 2 people.  While ours can barely take on 1.

Atleast 1 of the 3-4 DE's needs to take on 2 people as well.  While 1 of ours has been taken out of the picture by guys like Jimmy Graham who is allergic to blocking.

Scheme aint the problem.  We couldve ran a 4-3 and ot wouldve netted the same results with this DL

On 12/25/2019 at 6:39 PM, Snake said:

Why it didn't work is because Rivera and Hurney suck. We need to keep it and get actual 3-4 DEs and Jack LBs. Burns and Haynes are future stars but everyone else sucks. 

Addison, Irvin, burns, miller, and Haynes are fine 34 lbs and one of the two DE spots is basically a 43 3 tech UT the other a 43 1 tech. The one we are missing is the true 34 NT.

11 hours ago, bull123 said:

its because most of our players suck...why did we give shaq that big contract? 

It seems like to large a contract and hopefully Luke takes a lesser contract next time up but shaq did rack up over 100 tackles while luke wracked up over a hundred while both were being mugged by olineman.

On 12/26/2019 at 12:47 AM, BurnHurnBurn said:

He didn't look bad.  He just wasn't Luke.  We dont have 3-4 NTs.  Go back to 43.  and gap assignments are not the same.

But with 2 34 NTs he probably would look like Luke, I used to hate the thought of the 34 until I realized how much more tricky you could be with it although we need an actual d coordinator to run it.

On 12/25/2019 at 6:01 PM, Ivan The Awesome said:

In theory this Defense would have worked but like I've stated several times, Injuries absolutely did this team in. Silver lining is that it also did Rivera In and we won't have to deal with mediocrity anymore. 

Had KK and Poe not gotten injured, this would be a differently story. The depth was there but the injuries kept piling up. I mean you had Odaba filling in there at NT at times. I'm not sure if Love was sent to IR as well? Probably wasn't but it almost feels like it. McCoy has done a decent job but there's only so much one guy can do. Butler even came in and was doing an Okay job but again, wasn't enough. 

The Hybrid idea was a novel one but I think at times it was trying to do much, it's an interesting concept but was not executed correctly. Mostly due to injury. 

I think we can make it work in year two with real coaches. To me Obada is a little undersized to play inside, love is about the right size but you need 2 of him, McCoy played hurt and to me looks better at rushing the passer, and Butler wasn't playing to begin with because he has never been complete, even at his size he is poor against the run.

Archived