• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pat Fitzgerald

ellis

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not sure what's more embarrassing. The fact that we're trying to interview a mid-major college coach who went 3-9 this season or the fact that 3-9 mid-major college coach said thanks but no thanks.

Yeah, that kinda hurts.

Just please don't tell me Lane Kiffin turned us down.

Ouch.

I don't know about the shortlist right now. 

Stefanski has certain inner circles buzzing about him being a future HC so I trust he must have the juju for a top spot.  Otherwise, no to McD, this guy, McCarthy, and Roman.  

Daboll is interesting but the Bills didn't start clicking until he left the field for the booth.  He's excelled as a booth-based signal caller and not a sideline guy. 

I really want this guy:

The only guys I've seen anything more than just straight speculation on so far are McCarthy (interviewed) McDaniels (reached out to him last year and believed by many to be a leading candidate this year) Shaw (confirmed to be a guy we're "doing homework" on) and now Fitzgerald (turned us down).

I'm sure there's more to come, but those are all we know for now.

we could have interviewed any of those top college guys and no one would ever know. typically those conversations are very hush hush unless someone leaks it. college coaches won't want the guys paying them top dollar to know that they are looking somewhere else. 

3 minutes ago, rayzor said:

we could have interviewed any of those top college guys and no one would ever know. typically those conversations are very hush hush unless someone leaks it. college coaches won't want the guys paying them top dollar to know that they are looking somewhere else. 

Yep.

Remember when we supposedly didn't know anything about Jim Harbaugh?

If the rumor is true we want a coach to take on some GM roles, a David Shaw, Lincoln Riley, Matt Rhule, PJ Fleck, Matt Campbell, all look appealing.   James Franklin is also super under the radar IMO, he's an awesome guy; met him a few times back in his Vandy days. 

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I remember one source saying that Matt Rhule wants total control.

No way in hell I'd give that to a college coach.

Yeah, I understand why a college coach would want that. It's what they already have at the college level. But, college coaches being handed the full reins don't have great NFL track records. Chip Kelly the coach may have worked out in the NFL, but Chip Kelly the GM was a train wreck.

Archived