• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rappaport: Marty Hurney heavily involved in HC search!!!

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Which is exactly what I was going to say. They were good hires that overstayed their welcome. We had some success with both. That's just the cold, hard truth! Most people aren't Billy B. 

I'd say it was Hurney that overstayed his welcome.  Both Fox and Rivera immediately went on to improve their records in Marty's absence.

At the risk of making too fine a point of it, Rivera's record started to tank again after MH regained control of the roster.

Did McCarthy WIN that Super Bowl ring? Did John fox LEAD the Denver Broncos to the Super Bowl in 2013?

They both had elite quarterbacks playing at an insanely high-level. I would say their contributions were valid, but not overwhelming.

Josh McDaniels turned Kyle Orton into a pretty damn good quarterback in Denver. Yes, they lost plenty of games, but the work he does with quarterbacks, including 2008, isn’t unimpressive. 

If Hurney deserves credit for coaching hires like Rivera and Fox and drafting Pro Bowlers then he also deserves blame for those staffs and rosters he built winning like five playoff games in 13 seasons (all of them coming in his first four seasons as GM).

Pro football is also something of a different game now than it was in 2005.

2 minutes ago, Mage said:

McCarthy won a Super Bowl and you are trying to convince people he wouldn’t be a good hire 

You literally change your standards to suit whatever negative stance you want to take 

Its absolutely hilarious 

Where did you read me saying McCarthy would be a bad hire?

I've gone on record as saying I'm not a big fan of the idea but I'm not hugely opposed to it either. Of the known candidates, I don't really have a favorite right now.

If you're going to argue something, it would at least be a good idea to understand the position of the person you're arguing against. Otherwise you look silly.

3 minutes ago, ellis said:

This argument is a little bit tired. I understand what you’re trying to say, but if you look at the last five new owners in the league, their inaugural hires have been awful. 

Maybe his years w/ the Steelers will aid him in this process. But being a billionaire hedge fund manager doesn’t make you a great owner. I’m not even taking a dump on the guy. I’m just not ready to sing his praises yet.

It's not what I'm trying to say, that's what he said.

8 minutes ago, bobowilson said:

There's no logic with these guys

They say Ron Rivera road the coat tails of a stacked roster (and they always cite Cam Newton, Luke Kuechly, Greg Olsen, Thomas Davis, Josh Norman, etc).

But then they forget who acquired these 'stacked' guys.

Sure. Just ignore that every OL besides Kalil. 

Every DL except CJ who had a 20M cap hit while playing at a 4M level. Thanks Marty. 

Every DB but Norman. Every WR including losing the WR1 for season. 

What was your point again? 

24 minutes ago, bobowilson said:

So let me get this right, Ron Rivera rode the coat tails of Trai Turner, Corey Brown, and Kurt Coleman to 2 coach of the year achievements (and not Cam Newton, Greg Olsen, Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis, Josh Norman, Greg Hardy, Jonathan Stewart, etc).

Great logic.

Ron Rivera must have been the best coach of all time to ride the coat tails of Trai Turner and Kurt Coleman to the Super Bowl.

this feels like a set up...

9 minutes ago, Shufdog said:

Scot thinks a billion dollar hedge fund manager is too stupid to realize when someone is bullshiting him.

Jim Haslam, Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones and the Spanos family all built billion dollar empires. So using your logic, all of them must be really smart football people.

How strange that they've managed to build some of the worst teams in the league despite being that smart :thinking:

6 minutes ago, ellis said:

Did McCarthy WIN that Super Bowl ring? Did John fox LEAD the Denver Broncos to the Super Bowl in 2013?

They both had elite quarterbacks playing at an insanely high-level. I would say their contributions were valid, but not overwhelming.

Who drafted that elite quarterback?  I'm having a difficult time remembering

And in case anyone tries to pretend it was an 'easy decision' (anonymous GM poll taken before drafted showed 71% would not take Newton)

Image result for sports illustrated gabbert over newton

gabbert.jpg

20 minutes ago, ellis said:

As my brother said this morning, it seems like a list that was put together by Peter King and a bunch of message board posters. 

If it was up to me, bring in Mike Borgonzi and Greg Roman. I actually really hope we bring in Mike Borgonzi and kick Hurney to the curb. He and Veach did wonders in KC. 

@Mr. Scot and yes I know, I was under the impression Greg Roman was Jim Tomsula, that was my bad.

There’s no good defensive coaches on the market this year in my opinion or I’d go for a defensive coach but I think Roman could do good things with Cam. 

10 hours ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

The whole “pull for another team if you don’t like it” bit. That’s bullshit. We all have a right to complain about ownership and management on this forum. We don’t work for the Panthers. This is a perfect time clean the entire house and he’s keeping Hurney. 

I agree.  You're correct, everyone retains the right to complain about owners, managers, coaches and players --- all of them.

I was just busting his chops.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Jim Haslam, Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones and the Spanos family all built billion dollar empires. So using your logic, all of them must be really smart football people.

How strange that they've managed to build some of the worst teams in the league despite being that smart :thinking:

You said he wasn't smart enough to see someone was bullshiting him. That's laughable.

Archived