• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Allen is our back up QB

Jmac

4 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

The new coaching staff will have the say in whatever offensive philosophy they decide to go with. They have zero ties to allen and Allen performed uh not good in his campaign this season. He was literally the worst qb in the league. It’s not even about upgrading. Allen is just such a dime a dozen qb talent that the new coaching staff will probably just go with someone they like. This team is about to get a huge makeover. Look across the league and there other other Kyle Allen’s or backups with more potential. I would be very surprised if Allen is on this team next year.

Even if you think Allen is a dime a dozen, he is the cheapest option we could possibly get. You want to pay more for someone who might be slightly better, go ahead. But don't complain when we can barely man a starting offensive line or are down to starting street free agents after a couple defensive injuries.

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

I disagree - a good backup is someone that can come in and when they have a good team around them, they can put the team in a position to win.

Allen did that.  Once injuries mounted and our defense got figured out, we needed Allen to do more.  We needed him to take the next step to what we would hope a starter could do.  Allen could not.

Agree 100%. Not to mention he's been getting pressured non-stop due to our oline issues. Hard to succeed, let alone carry the entire team when your defense is getting throttled. He satisfies what you want in a backup. You're going to be disappointed when you try to force him into the lens of a starting qb when that's not what he is.

5 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I don't see why we draft another QB when we have so many problems on our line AND we believe Cam is coming back.

If we don't think Cam is coming back and there is a great QB prospect, sure.  But I'm also not sold on Herbert and I don't think Burrow/Tua will be available.  I'm not a huge fan of any QB after those 2, tbh, but I am not at Hurney's level of talent evaluation ;)

I think we should:

1) Go for OT/DT in the 1st/2nd round,

2) Bring Cam back,

3) Bring in a vet to camp to compete with Allen/Grier/any other QB we bring in.

4) Keep 3 QBs again.

You draft someone to learn behind Cam. There’s no reason to believe Cam will be here beyond next year at most, no matter how much it’s the best-case scenario. I’m not sold on Herbert any more than I was Blaine Gabbert, but our OL in August will still be well below average even with a new signing and a draft pick, so you may as well try him..

And if Herbert sucks, it’s OK, because I still think we’ll pick first in 2021. You remember the mid-2010s 76ers?

That’s us now.

God y’all are really weird about Allen. You guys are talking about like 500k to 1 million more as if that is so dire to our cap situation that it means we should just keep Allen because he’s cheaper. It literally doesn’t matter. 

then you add on to the fact that Kyle isn’t a mentor, or somebody incredibly cerebral that he offers something extra in the qb room. 

36 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

There are definitely other players of Allen's ability out there we could sign to a contract.  I agree.  I do not think Allen is amazing.  But... none of those other players would be as cheap as Kyle Allen.

Grier and Allen will both get a shot in camp, IMO.  We'll see which one has developed more over the offseason - that will be the one that likely stays on the roster, I think.  Perhaps neither will make it though... but b oth will be back in camp.

Let me break this down for you.

lets say Cam plays next season. Do you want Allen as his backup again?

lets say we move on from Cam and draft a qb high in the draft. Do you want Allen backing up a rookie? Do you want that rookie learning from Allen or a vet?

lets say we don’t retain Cam and don’t draft a qb high. Do you want Allen starting?

there is absolutely no reason why Allen should be on this roster next year.

3 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

lets say we move on from Cam and draft a qb high in the draft. Do you want Allen backing up a rookie? Do you want that rookie learning from Allen or a vet?

lets say we don’t retain Cam and don’t draft a qb high. Do you want Allen starting?

preach that

.FIt's crazy to me how polarizing Allen is.

I personally think the following is true:

1) At least of today, he was objectively the best QB on the roster

2) He doesn't look like a franchise QB

3) It's hard to fully cast judgement on any QB behind this atrocity of an offensive line. I personally think he could be decent with an average offensive line

4) The team is going to look at a multitude of options at QB next year. It's nothing more than conjecture to speculate one way or another about whether Allen or Grier will be here. They're both young and cheap. That helps their case

Just now, TheRumGone said:

With Cam on the roster, we need to carry 3 QBs because of his injury history (situation 1).  That is what I want/think will happen.  If instead we draft a QB high, I think we run with 3 QBs as well (situation 2).  The only situation we run with 2 is if we don't keep Cam AND we don't draft a new QB, and instead go after one of the hot names in free agency (situation 3).

What I want us to do in the offseason, in all of the above situations, is bring in a veteran QB that has been around.    In situation 1 and 2, I would like a competent backup veteran that has more experience to contribute in the film room.  In situation 3, I would like a starting-quality free agent and then we'd still have a slot for a cheap backup...  In all 3 situations, we will have 1 slot open for either the 2nd or 3rd string QB, and I personally think Allen would be a decent move there, all things considered.

1 hour ago, KillerKat said:

And right after my post, he throws a pick in the redzone. He has a knack for that among many other ways to turn over the ball.

Killer the Defensive player under cut the receiver on the ball right after Kyle threw it.  Cam has throw the same inception many times too.  Give him time.  Damn we gave Cam time to become the QB he is when he is healthy.  Cam made plenty of mistakes and we called growing into the job.  Give Kyle the same benefit if he is going to be our Backup.

1 minute ago, cmichd said:

Killer the Defensive player under cut the receiver on the ball right after Kyle threw it.  Cam as throw the same inceptions many times too.  Give him time.  Damn we gave Cam time to become the QB he is when he is healthy.  Cam made plenty of mistakes and we called growing into the job.  Give Kyle the same benefit if he is going to be our Backup.

You don’t get that benefit when you are undrafted. That’s just the way it works. Plenty of more talented options out there who can do the exact same thing.

4 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

With Cam on the roster, we need to carry 3 QBs because of his injury history (situation 1).  That is what I want/think will happen.  If instead we draft a QB high, I think we run with 3 QBs as well (situation 2).  The only situation we run with 2 is if we don't keep Cam AND we don't draft a new QB, and instead go after one of the hot names in free agency (situation 3).

What I want us to do in the offseason, in all of the above situations, is bring in a veteran QB that has been around.    In situation 1 and 2, I would like a competent backup veteran that has more experience to contribute in the film room.  In situation 3, I would like a starting-quality free agent and then we'd still have a slot for a cheap backup...  In all 3 situations, we will have 1 slot open for either the 2nd or 3rd string QB, and I personally think Allen would be a decent move there, all things considered.

Why Allen though? That’s the whole point. I don’t want him as the sole backup to Cam. And if he’s gonna be qb3 it doesn’t even fuging matter. That’s what I don’t get. Dude is a dime a dozen and a new coaching staff will more than likely choose their qb3 who they think has better upside and can run their system. You guys are just stuck on this dude for some very strange reason. When he’s not even worth typing all this poo out for. 

7 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Why Allen though? That’s the whole point. I don’t want him as the sole backup to Cam. And if he’s gonna be qb3 it doesn’t even fuging matter. That’s what I don’t get. Dude is a dime a dozen and a new coaching staff will more than likely choose their qb3 who they think has better upside and can run their system. You guys are just stuck on this dude for some very strange reason. When he’s not even worth typing all this poo out for. 

You are correct but just think a undrafted FA QB is sitting on the Honor Ring at Bank of America Stadium.     "Delhomme played college football at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, then known as the University of Southwestern Louisiana, before being signed by the New Orleans Saints as an undrafted free agent after the 1997 NFL Draft."       I shouldn't have to say anymore.  

How do you think Drew Brees would play if he was on the Panthers and Allen played for the Saints today?

I doubt Brees would have looked any better behind the Panthers oline...than what we saw today from Allen later in the game.

It's not about the QBs its about the oline……...until we have at least a manageable oline we will have no idea how good any QB is or how long they will stay healthy...…

……...could you see what would have happened to Brees today if he took the early game hits Will did?

QB talk is difficult at best without an online barameter to measure with...…...

Archived