• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone else fed up with our current ESPN beat writer?

emcannon

13 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Question, have you closely followed any other ESPN beat reporters to judge Newton’s performance against theirs? Not to defend Bewton because I have no strong opinion on him either way, but some of the things you complain about sound like things very common to all journalism right now. Click baiting and pushing certain narratives may or may not be directives from higher up the food chain.

just sayin.

I don't hate Newton as much as some do, but...well, there are some issues.  He wasn't really a football guy before he got the Panthers gig (he was a NASCAR reporter) and it's been said that he frequently has to ask other reporters what's going on. 

And there are occasional gaffes. He once famously talked about how a guy moving to right tackle would be facing right defensive ends.

ESPN started assigning other, better known reporters to help cover us during the 2015 Super Bowl run, but once that was over it was back to Newton.

Like I said, I don't hate him, but yeah we could probably do better.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't hate Newton as much as some do, but...well, there are some issues.  He wasn't really a football guy before he got the Panthers gig (he was a NASCAR reporter) and it's been said that he frequently has to ask other reporters what's going on. 

And there are occasional gaffes. He once famously talked about how a guy moving to right tackle would be facing right defensive ends.

ESPN started assigning other, better known reporters to help cover us during the 2015 Super Bowl run, but once that was over it was back to Newton.

Like I said, I don't hate him, but yeah we could probably do better.

The fact he’s kept his job this long being as incompetent as he is is pretty unbelievable. It’s like the guy has some dirt on ESPN execs or something.

8 minutes ago, emcannon said:

The fact he’s kept his job this long being as incompetent as he is is pretty unbelievable. It’s like the guy has some dirt on ESPN execs or something.

Meh.

ESPN execs give less than 2 shits about the quality of their coverage on small market teams like us. If Scot says hes pretty bad I’m inclined to believe it because of the volume and diversity of coverage he consumes. I just don’t think Newton has to be good to keep his job.

Just now, 1of10Charnatives said:

ESPN execs give less than 2 shits about the quality of their coverage on small market teams like us.

Therein lies the problem.

We're a small market and we don't win enough to be relevant, so why should they care?

You want better coverage? Start winning, and keep winning.

1 minute ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Meh.

ESPN execs give less than 2 shits about the quality of their coverage on small market teams like us. If Scot says hes pretty bad I’m inclined to believe it because of the volume and diversity of coverage he consumes. I just don’t think Newton has to be good to keep his job.

You’re stating the obvious. My argument is we shouldn’t be content with such a low bar. 

50 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

He sucks, but removing him won’t help anything. We had Pat Yasinskas before him and he was equally terrible. 

Yas might have been worse because he was a Bucs fan (was the bucs right? One of the div  rivals) and his bias was obvious.  But yea I signed, Newton is awful. 

9 minutes ago, emcannon said:

You’re stating the obvious. My argument is we shouldn’t be content with such a low bar. 

We’re not in control of the bar and if you think even several hundred signatures is something ESPN execs would notice, you’re kidding yourself. But hey, if you wanna tilt at windmills when the world has actual problems more urgent than one bad football reporter, you go right ahead Mr. Quixote.

Be my guest.

PS Stating the obvious is often necessary on the Huddle.

Archived