• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I don't want to draft Joe Burrow

tiger7_88

And it has nothing to do with the kid's qualities or abilities.  He seems to me to be an amazing QB with a good personality.  Easily the top QB in this draft (surprising considering the "meh" reputation he brought with him entering the 2019 season, but just ask Cam what one incredible season can do for you).  Head and shoulders above Tua and the other available, draftable QBs IMO.

On top of the fact that the season he just completed was probably the best season for a college QB in the history of college football.

Good size, strong arm, accurate, can use his feet when needed... what's not to like?

But here's the thing... because of all of the above, any trade from ANY position within the draft to trade up to get Cincy's pick is going to be the biggest trade in NFL history and you can take that to the bank.  Any trade into the #1 overall position in this draft is going to put the Saints trade for Ricky William's in 1999 (Washington received every pick in the New Orleans 1999 draft plus a 1st and a 3rd in the 2000 draft) and the Vikings trade for Herschel Walker in 1989 (Dallas received a 1st and a 2nd in 1990, a 1st and a 2nd in 1992, and a 1st and a 2nd and a 3rd in 1992, plus several existing Minnesota players, some of whom Dallas traded to other teams for other picks) to shame.

In other words (and this is only my opinion and prediction), you can throw away ANY team building for the future through the draft for at least the next two years if you want to trade up for Joe Burrow (and that applies to any team, not just Carolina). 

You can also throw away the "draft value" chart because its not going to apply in this case (and rarely applies when teams try to trade up for that #1 overall, which implies a desperation that the team holding that pick can take advantage of).

So, again, no aspersions are being directed at Joe Burrow here.  I'm just saying that for this good of this team and BUILDING a future for it, trading up for Joe Burrow in the environment that his performance this season has created would be insanity.

Interesting Trivia:  The Dallas Cowboys created a 1990's winning machine (3 Lombardi's) with the draft picks it gained from trading Herschel Walker.  Using those picks either directly or in trades, the Cowboys added RB Emmitt Smith, DT Russell Maryland, S Darren Woodson, and CB Kevin Smith.  Washington's post-trade results didn't mirror the Cowboy's, but utilizing those picks directly or in trades, they did add Champ Bailey and Lavarr Arrington to their squad.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's not something I can imagine happening.

Gotta admit though, Tepper is a wild card here. He's not afraid to go for broke to get what he wants.

If he wants Burrow, who knows?

Tepper is afraid of going broke for what he wants, that's not how you amass wealth. 

One issue with Burrow's is that he wasn't asked to make true sideline to sideline throws, that I saw. Most of his throws were limited to those deep routes, crossing routes, and slants. 

I don't recall see much field side out routes being thrown throughout the year. 

1 minute ago, CPcavedweller said:

Tepper is afraid of going broke for what he wants, that's not how you amass wealth. 

One issue with Burrow's is that he wasn't asked to make true sideline to sideline throws, that I saw. Most of his throws were limited to those deep routes, crossing routes, and slants. 

Tepper got his billions because he took chances when nobody else was willing to. 

I noticed some people referencing the rams trading up from 15 to 1 to draft Goff. It’s not the same. They gave up a good bit but they had also made that trade with the redskins years prior that kind of made it worth it.  but burrow is on another level prospect wise. It’s a heisman and national championship winning qb compared to Goff who was just pretty good in college but not historic like burrow. It would have to be major major draft picks. Like 3 firsts and 3 seconds. If we did something like that I don’t know how we could field a competent team around him. Everything would be free agent signings and 3-7 round picks. We would not be setting him up for success on his rookie contract.

28 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

I'm gonna guess you meant "isn't" in that first line.

44 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's not something I can imagine happening.

Gotta admit though, Tepper is a wild card here. He's not afraid to go for broke to get what he wants.

If he wants Burrow, who knows?

Something something “calculated risks.”

Archived