• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I don't want to draft Joe Burrow

tiger7_88

If you think Burrows is a franchise QB then the rest of your post isn’t even worth reading.

When it comes to rebuilding so much of that process can be skipped if you find a franchise QB.

Or we can hang onto the extra first rounder and couple second rounders and 3rd’s and blow those on guys like Will Grier, Jimmy Clausen and long line of first round QB busts.

At the end of the day barring a ridiculous trade demand a couple 1sts and 2nd’s or 3rd’s is not a good enough reason to pass on a franchise QB.

If we do hire Brady and says Burrows is that franchise QB then you do it. But Brady helped turn Burrow’s into that so I’m sure he could take another high upside guy and do the same. Jordan Love!

also, imagine how good Lamar Jackson could of been if he had played in the College Football National Championship this year.   Sometimes the reason you look like a man amongst boys....is because you literally are. 

the old college QB is a scary thing when talking about the next level based on history.    I mean, there have been a lot of world beaters in college

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

And it has nothing to do with the kid's qualities or abilities.  He seems to me to be an amazing QB with a good personality.  Easily the top QB in this draft (surprising considering the "meh" reputation he brought with him entering the 2019 season, but just ask Cam what one incredible season can do for you).  Head and shoulders above Tua and the other available, draftable QBs IMO.

On top of the fact that the season he just completed was probably the best season for a college QB in the history of college football.

Good size, strong arm, accurate, can use his feet when needed... what's not to like?

But here's the thing... because of all of the above, any trade from ANY position within the draft to trade up to get Cincy's pick is going to be the biggest trade in NFL history and you can take that to the bank.  Any trade into the #1 overall position in this draft is going to put the Saints trade for Ricky William's in 1999 (Washington received every pick in the New Orleans 1999 draft plus a 1st and a 3rd in the 2000 draft) and the Vikings trade for Herschel Walker in 1989 (Dallas received a 1st and a 2nd in 1990, a 1st and a 2nd in 1992, and a 1st and a 2nd and a 3rd in 1992, plus several existing Minnesota players, some of whom Dallas traded to other teams for other picks) to shame.

In other words (and this is only my opinion and prediction), you can throw away ANY team building for the future through the draft for at least the next two years if you want to trade up for Joe Burrow (and that applies to any team, not just Carolina). 

You can also throw away the "draft value" chart because its not going to apply in this case (and rarely applies when teams try to trade up for that #1 overall, which implies a desperation that the team holding that pick can take advantage of).

So, again, no aspersions are being directed at Joe Burrow here.  I'm just saying that for this good of this team and BUILDING a future for it, trading up for Joe Burrow in the environment that his performance this season has created would be insanity.

Interesting Trivia:  The Dallas Cowboys created a 1990's winning machine (3 Lombardi's) with the draft picks it gained from trading Herschel Walker.  Using those picks either directly or in trades, the Cowboys added RB Emmitt Smith, DT Russell Maryland, S Darren Woodson, and CB Kevin Smith.  Washington's post-trade results didn't mirror the Cowboy's, but utilizing those picks directly or in trades, they did add Champ Bailey and Lavarr Arrington to their squad.

Well, you are in luck, because neither you nor the Panthers will drafting Mr Burrow.  

29 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Yea hell no. If we could package two firsts to move up and take Chase Young, or this years 1st, 2nd and 3rd or something along those lines I’d be tempted though...

So it’s a “hell no” to trading for a likely franchise QB that would change the entire landscape of a rebuild process but you’d be tempted to trade up for a defensive end who doesn’t move the needle much in terms of an overall rebuild. 

A great defensive end is pretty meaningless if you don’t have a QB worth a damn.

Would hate the cost of the trade up, but obviously would be exciting.  And for all the analytics and risk/reward takes on Tepper, like Mr. Scot said he's kind of a wild card here.  It's a huge risk/huge reward scenario, but my god the risk would be insane. Not willing to take that if it were my decision. 

Cam* if healthy is the QB, and if that's not the answer you build the lines, suck next year, pull the Hurney special and IR key guys, and then trade the farm (hopefully a little less if moving from say #4-5 to #1-2) if you want to for a 2021 guy.  Still feel like you have to see what Cam has before making a decision this year on a QB. 

Archived