• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Former Panthers LB Jon Beasons Take on Playing Live Of An NFL Line Backer.

KatsAzz

At one time former Panthers Jon Beason ranked among the most productive linebackers in the NFL.

Injuries, the emergence of Luke Kuechly and the reemergence of Thomas Davis slowed the roll of the Panthers' 2007 first-round draft choice.

Early in the 2013 season, the Panthers traded him to the New York Giants.

Beason, who later retired after three injury-filled seasons with the Giants, was a strong voice with a game to match throughout his time with the Panthers. He recorded an astounding 650 tackles based on coaches' film review over his first four seasons (Kuechly had 681 over his first four) and ranked in the top four in the entire league in tackles each of his first three seasons.

But in the opener his fifth season, in 2011, Beason tore his Achilles.

He was never quite the same player. Shoulder and knee injuries sidelined him four games into 2012 - Kuechly's rookie year – and he played 21 games over his final three NFL seasons, all but three of them with the Giants to wrap up a nine-year career.

"The fact that I was able to play for the amount of time I was, thank God for those moments," said Beason, "At the NFL Combine in 2007, a lot of teams asked me, 'Hey, how long do you think you're going to play?' I said eight years. They'd say, 'Oh, everybody says they're going to play 15 years. Why eight?'

"I said, 'If you play linebacker the way you're supposed to play it, you probably won't last longer than eight years.' That's something I hang my hat on. Whether it was how I played, how I prepared or how I attacked my rehab, I left it all on the field. I have no regrets. I sleep well. I don't even dream
 about it anymore."

Jon Beason's remarks reminded me of Luke's situation. "If you play linebacker the way you're supposed to play it, you probably won't last longer than eight years.' That's something I hang my hat on. Whether it was how I played, how I prepared or how I attacked my rehab, I left it all on the field. I have no regrets. I sleep well. I don't even dream about it anymore."

1 hour ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

He really is under appreciated because we replaced him with one of the greatest to ever do it. But people do forget how good Beason was for us 

I think every young Panthers fan in early the 2000's had a Smitty, Delhomme or Peppers jersey..
I think every young Panthers fan in the late 2010's has a Cam, Luke or Olsen jersey..

In the middle, there were some dark times.. that's when I got my black Beason jersey..

1 hour ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

I think every young Panthers fan in early the 2000's had a Smitty, Delhomme or Peppers jersey..
I think every young Panthers fan in the late 2010's has a Cam, Luke or Olsen jersey..

In the middle, there were some dark times.. that's when I got my black Beason jersey..

I entered the "Win An Authentic Autographed  Beason Jersey" at the stadium years ago, along with thousands of others that signed up and was fortunate enough to win it. The Beason autographed jersey  was delivered to my front door by UPS ,I placed it in my closet and have refused to wear it, fearing it might get soiled .

I also won a large autographed, color photo of Jake Delhomme at the stadium and had it put in an expensive frame. I later honored a friend of minds request to place the picture in his restaurant so customers could enjoy seeing it. I got it back a couple of years later and  placed it on the wall in my man cave, along with other Panther items i treasure.

6 hours ago, hepcat said:

Panthers have been extremely spoiled with the linebacker talent they've had

Exactly.At one time Jon Beason ranked among the most productive linebackers in the NFL. Injuries, the emergence of Luke Kuechly and the reemergence of Thomas Davis slowed the roll of our' 2007 first-round draft choice. Then sadly, early in the 2013 season, the Panthers traded him to the New York Giants.

5 minutes ago, stratocatter said:

Didn't Beason tear his achilles? That is an injury that will rob you of a step if you can even come that far back. And obviously, losing a step is enough to put most people out of the league.

Yes, in the opener his fifth season, in 2011,Jon  Beason tore his Achilles.

He was never quite the same player. Shoulder and knee injuries sidelined him four games into 2012 - Kuechly's rookie year – and he played 21 games over his final three NFL seasons, all but three of them with the Giants to wrap up a nine-year career.

Archived