• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting 3 rd mock

raleigh-panther

1 minute ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

No sense in half-assing it and drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. Either get our guy in round 1 (via trade up, if need be - Tua?) or sign a veteran placeholder and draft a QB early next year. The odds of any QB drafted in the 2nd/3rd round being significantly better than Kyle Allen are pretty low, unless we REALLY hit on a player.

Let's not forget we just used a 3rd rounder on Will Grier last year, and the early results were NOT promising.

And there lies the problem.  To say Grier was a reach in the 3rd round would be an understatement.  It's still a debate who had the massive boner for Will, but either Hurney or the Turners put WAY too much value on him.  I have been on record many times saying I hated the pick at that point in the draft.

Just now, Jay Roosevelt said:

I think most of us would take Lawrence and nothing next year...

Still feel that way after getting exposed?  If he's available when our pick is there, sure, but like Burrow this draft, it's not worth mortgaging the future for one player.

1 hour ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

If we get Derrick Brown, I'd be thrilled. He's my choice for our pick at 7 - if he makes it that far. I think he's a game changer for our defense.

He's a strong, strong man. Super aware and holds the PoA super well which was. Easily one of, if not the biggest flaw last season as a defense. Like to see more from him as a rusher though.

For all the "WE NEED AN OLINE" guys and people who seem upset with taking Brown here, it's mind boggling how people don't want to address the run d.

I'm fairly confident Love will be the 4th QB off the board.  I can see a pre-draft shuffle if he gets super hyped due to his interviews and sheer potential.  His arm and mechanics are actually pretty legit, he just needs to become more of a field reader/field general.  He could get hyped past Herbert in which I think we'd be better off going for a top talent if Tua is gone round 1.  If we make a trade back with one of the 3 teams with 2 first rounders, then it could get interesting. 

1 minute ago, Rags said:

He's a strong, strong man. Super aware and holds the PoA super well which was. Easily one of, if not the biggest flaw last season as a defense. Like to see more from him as a rusher though.

For all the "WE NEED AN OLINE" guys and people who seem upset with taking Brown here, it's mind boggling how people don't want to address the run d.

WE NEED AN OLINE!!!

Now that that’s out of the way, as one of those guys, let me correct a mischaracterization within your post of the oline first position. Nowhere have I advocated for NOT fixing the dline. Nowhere have I said that our run D wasn’t horrible. What I have put forward is a very specific reason for why I think it’s more urgent to fix the oline before the dline, given that it’s hard to imagine we can fix both in a single offseason.

If the run D sucks next year that only impacts next year.

If the Oline sucks next year, it will get Cam or rookie X killed, and the consequences of that would stretch far beyond next year.

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Exposed? LOL. 20 year old kid had a bad game. He’s beaten and undefeated OSU and Fields and Alabama and Tua the past two years and he’s exposed? These hot tales are hysterical. 29-1, won one NC and lost another NC as a true freshman and sophomore and the kid’s exposed?

Yup.  I'm not going to get in a back and forth on this, but he's a really good system QB  in an elite college program.  He's going to see 31 other LSUs in the NFL where every team is stacked with 5-star/clue chip players.  Again, if he's available when we pick, I could be on board with it, but it's stupid to give up the farm for Burrow this draft and it would be stupid to do so for Trevor next year.

1 hour ago, BurnHurnBurn said:

I guess the offensive line is of zero concern?  For the love of God can anyone tell me why we draft defense first so consistently yet our best player is on offense?  Why can we not help him a little bit instead of demanding stupefying performances to even have half a chance?

It goes without saying I hate these picks.

Here's the problem with that line of thought. We have Moton locking down RT. Turner is hyped as a Probowl player even if he seems a bit overpaid. Paradis can't be cut til next year. That leaves LG and LT. 

IOL options this year are bad. Every fanbase in the NFL is screaming for OL because it's in fashion. Guys are going to be overdrafted. Carolina should not be  doing that in a weak market because this is not going to be the year for them to win the SB. Draft a mid late rounder and give him a chance. A diamond in the rough like shrine player Michael Onwenu.

As for LT? Look we all know our situation there has been toxic for years. Even though there are great top 10 options it requires Hurney to admit that he's giving up on Little and Daley. Do you genuinely think he will invest a high pick again after using so much capital last year? I just don't see him admitting his error- it would have cost him his job. 

So even if he should, there's no way for me that he spends a high pick on OT. It wouldn't make any sense. 

Love is an intriguing player. Great size and great arm. He could be your Colin Kaepernick or just another bust. High risk high reward. If we want a QB, go get Burrow or Tua. I’m tired of investing 2nd and 3rd rounders on QB. There’s a reason why franchise QBs are drafted in the 1st round. 

22 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

If the run D sucks next year that only impacts next year.

If the Oline sucks next year, it will get Cam or rookie X killed, and the consequences of that would stretch far beyond next year.

We're not just drafting for next year. All things considered we're probably not going to be competing next year.

One rookie OT won't make or break how bad our o-line is, especially since the worst of the o-line has come from the interior. 

I'm not against drafting an OT but I hate the tunnel vision surrounding it.

Archived