• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule on Keuchly potentially coaching

SgtJoo

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Depends on his role.  

I mean, you might could put him up in a booth doing games and he be a defensive Tony Romo.  I mean, Romo is largely so good just because he knows literally what all is happening and calls 80% of it before it happens.   

Romo is extremely charismatic and has a good TV voice and subtleties in his tone that fit in the booth, along with having that knowledge (and it’s more like a few times a game not 80%...). Luke is very articulate but from what I’ve seen he doesn’t have that charisma like Romo does. I have no doubt he could know the plays like Romo does but depending on how he came across, he could just be annoying and nerdy (football nerdy) sounding where people wouldn’t want to listen. Honestly I think he’s be like Witten last year. It’s not a natural thing for them. Greg on the other hand is an absolute natural.

Just now, t96 said:

Romo is extremely charismatic and has a good TV voice and subtleties in his tone that fit in the booth, along with having that knowledge (and it’s more like a few times a game not 80%...). Luke is very articulate but from what I’ve seen he doesn’t have that charisma like Romo does. I have no doubt he could know the plays like Romo does but depending on how he came across, he could just be annoying and nerdy (football nerdy) sounding where people wouldn’t want to listen. Honestly I think he’s be like Witten last year. It’s not a natural thing for them. Greg on the other hand is an absolute natural.

I mean even being a Romo-lite would be a vast improvement in most booths.   Witten was horrible.  I don't think he would be that bad.  

I wouldn't classify every athlete that works as having a great personality.  I mean even a Howie Long type is pretty much just straight man routine surrounded by the more entertaining guys.  I mean you don't need 4 Steve Smith types. 

I imagine Luke has had Tepper's ear this whole time, what do you think that locker room talk between the two after the final game was all about?

Obviously fans can only speculate, but I have to think Luke has been in the plans in this "rebuild" in some coaching capacity from the jump. If the Panthers fail to make that a reality that will be fairly embarrassing after all that has already transpired.

17 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I imagine Luke has had Tepper's ear this whole time, what do you think that locker room talk between the two after the final game was all about?

Obviously fans can only speculate, but I have to think Luke has been in the plans in this "rebuild" in some coaching capacity from the jump. If the Panthers fail to make that a reality that will be fairly embarrassing after all that has already transpired.

What if Luke decides he just wants to relax for a year and fish and hunt, etc. like he loves? Coaching can wait I’m sure.

24 minutes ago, t96 said:

Honestly I think he’s be like Witten last year. It’s not a natural thing for them. Greg on the other hand is an absolute natural.

I agree with what you said except for this. Witten's main issue is that he's dumb as a rock.

You do have to wonder a little bit about his time commitment.

Luke has been throwing himself full time into football for several years now. He, and perhaps the people he cares about, might like to see him have more personal time.

Broadcasting is more than just showing up and talking, but it's also not the kind of commitment that coaching would be. And you know good and well that if he took up coaching, Luke wouldn't half ass it.

I think that's why Greg Olsen prefers broadcasting. Everybody knows he could be a good coach, but it's not the path he's choosing.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You do have to wonder a little bit about his time commitment.

Luke has been throwing himself full time into football for several years now. He, and perhaps the people he cares about, might like to see him have more personal time.

Broadcasting is more than just showing up and talking, but it's also not the kind of commitment that coaching would be. And you know good and well that if he took up coaching, Luke wouldn't half ass it.

I think that's why Greg Olsen prefers broadcasting. Everybody knows he could be a good coach, but it's not the path he's choosing.

Greg has a family and young kids, Luke is flying Han Solo. 

39 minutes ago, Gesualdo said:

I agree with what you said except for this. Witten's main issue is that he's dumb as a rock.

Yeah Luke is definitely smarter but it wasn’t just that with Witten. He was also just a boring guy. Colinsworth really isn’t much smarter and although I hate him he’s clearly done very well as a broadcaster because he has that charisma. I love Luke but he really is more of a football geek than a personality. I think he could do extremely well as a coach or in the FO, but not in the booth or on TV.

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

You can hear the clip of Rhule talking about it here...

The fact that he says it's something he "hopes he can convince" Luke to do reinforces that Luke is weighing options.

No doubt he's weighing  his options.  He has good choices (coach, broadcast, retire to the beaches of the world) -- none can be called 'bad' choices.

Yet I think it's perhaps telling that he's at the facilities, looking at FILM!

What film is he even looking at?  Scouting college players?  Objectively judging the play of his ex-teammates, for Rhule and the new boys?  He's for certain not scouting our next opponent, which he used to do all the time.  Very sure this (at least) means it's hard for him to tear himself away from the team he loved so much, and gave so much for.  I'm also very sure that if he decides on coaching, it won't be for Ron in Washington, otherwise he'd be checking out their film room.

At this point in the off-season, hiring him as LB coach outweighs all other news possibilities.

Make it happen, Tepper -- there's no cap on excellence and genius.

7 hours ago, t96 said:

Greg has a family and young kids, Luke is flying Han Solo. 

Pretty sure Luke is in a serious relationship. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of wedding bells soon. I'm guessing that was a big factor in his retirement decision.

Archived