• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN ranks the 2019 rookie classes

tiger7_88

No one was really complaining about these picks last April, the team's plan went to poo the moment Cam was done for the season. Early on the defense was playing lights out, more than anything in some cases with this being a lost season at the beginning of the losing streak and especially after the blown win versus New Orleans guys started to check out. 

I don't think there is anyway around that, all of these picks had college production and pedigree, we were in ''win now'' mode so to speak, it's why we went after McCoy, it's why we went after Boston during TC when it was determined Gaulden was a failed experiment. 

Little, and both Daley had games / stretches where they looked very good, as well as the rookie moments, add in that Little's campaign was marred by injury and you can't do anything about it. Daley was one of if not the highest graded rookie tackle for a decent stretch as well. 

As far as Miller, again with the Rivera era, another young player forced to essentially red shirt his rookie year due to ''vets'' mostly even aside from any injuries, and as we all know that happened with Burns as well. 

The overall theme for last year was injury, it derailed a lot of positions, QB, T, IDL (Short, then Poe), add in a floundering inexperienced QB / offense and there was never anyway that little bit of hope was going to be sustained, if anything we learned how good of a blocking OL we have for the run even with injuries. 

When a team has a bad year no media outlet is going to give the class as a whole high marks. 

What the hell are you all talking about? No team building or drafting for the future??

We took a pass rusher (top value position) in round 1 who has tons of talent but needed to add NFL weight. So, getting a guy who can be our stud pass rusher isn't building a team or future looking?? When the rest of the DEs we have are old?? Burns is gaining the weight to be able to play DE. The guy isn't a waste. He had a dumb injury which ruined his season. He was a great pick.

We traded up for a LT (another top value position) that we like and who for a while was getting first round grades before falling. Little needs technique work and to grow into the NFL, but when he got his first set of starts this season he played well. The concussions were awful and really set him back from taking over that role full time. It's unfortunate, but as long as he puts in the work- and I've seen nothing to say he isn't- we have a guy who can hopefully grow into the position with another year in and hopefully good health. Didn't impact much and we gave up value, but he was one of the only LTs left with a chance to be a franchise guy, I don't see why you don't go for it when the position is such a need and you believe in the guy.

QB is another top valued position in the league and while we want to have Cam at QB, it was time to take someone to try and groom. No one wanted to start Grier last year, unfortunately he got thrown into the apex of the dumpster fire. I don't think there's any way of knowing how he'll turn out. He didn't play well, but no one other than CMC was playing well by that point. Again, it was a shot worth taking if you believe in the player and based on our QB situation, it was a move for the future.

Christian Miller-- see Burns. He was a guy we took a flier on with talent but injury concerns. He got injured. Maybe he doesn't last, but he fit an important position and gave us youth. He looked like a contributor when he played. Nothing else you can ask.

Scarlett-- we didn't play anyone outside of CMC at RB. That is coach's choice. Scarlett has some talent, but he's a late round rookie and he later went on IR when we added the waiver RB. Maybe he gets some touches and a chance to prove himself in the future, but he's depth.

Daley-- 6th round rookie LT (a position of great value) who could potentially play RT or Guard somewhere. He played well and fell off with his own injuries and being moved around the line as it continued to crumble. The kid showed some ability but he needs more work. He was top rated one week he started at LT. Lets wait and see where he settles and what he can become.

Godwin-- he looked alright but started dropping balls and was low on a stacked list of WRs. Oh well it's the 7th round.

The biggest investments in our draft came at big building block positions for a football team. We had a shitty year with leadership and injuries. Nothing is going to look good now, but I believe there is more to come for some of these guys and this class won't look as bad in a year or two.

20 minutes ago, Ship said:

What the hell are you all talking about? No team building or drafting for the future??

We took a pass rusher (top value position) in round 1 who has tons of talent but needed to add NFL weight. So, getting a guy who can be our stud pass rusher isn't building a team or future looking?? When the rest of the DEs we have are old?? Burns is gaining the weight to be able to play DE. The guy isn't a waste. He had a dumb injury which ruined his season. He was a great pick.

We traded up for a LT (another top value position) that we like and who for a while was getting first round grades before falling. Little needs technique work and to grow into the NFL, but when he got his first set of starts this season he played well. The concussions were awful and really set him back from taking over that role full time. It's unfortunate, but as long as he puts in the work- and I've seen nothing to say he isn't- we have a guy who can hopefully grow into the position with another year in and hopefully good health. Didn't impact much and we gave up value, but he was one of the only LTs left with a chance to be a franchise guy, I don't see why you don't go for it when the position is such a need and you believe in the guy.

QB is another top valued position in the league and while we want to have Cam at QB, it was time to take someone to try and groom. No one wanted to start Grier last year, unfortunately he got thrown into the apex of the dumpster fire. I don't think there's any way of knowing how he'll turn out. He didn't play well, but no one other than CMC was playing well by that point. Again, it was a shot worth taking if you believe in the player and based on our QB situation, it was a move for the future.

Christian Miller-- see Burns. He was a guy we took a flier on with talent but injury concerns. He got injured. Maybe he doesn't last, but he fit an important position and gave us youth. He looked like a contributor when he played. Nothing else you can ask.

Scarlett-- we didn't play anyone outside of CMC at RB. That is coach's choice. Scarlett has some talent, but he's a late round rookie and he later went on IR when we added the waiver RB. Maybe he gets some touches and a chance to prove himself in the future, but he's depth.

Daley-- 6th round rookie LT (a position of great value) who could potentially play RT or Guard somewhere. He played well and fell off with his own injuries and being moved around the line as it continued to crumble. The kid showed some ability but he needs more work. He was top rated one week he started at LT. Lets wait and see where he settles and what he can become.

Godwin-- he looked alright but started dropping balls and was low on a stacked list of WRs. Oh well it's the 7th round.

The biggest investments in our draft came at big building block positions for a football team. We had a shitty year with leadership and injuries. Nothing is going to look good now, but I believe there is more to come for some of these guys and this class won't look as bad in a year or two.

Dude:eyeroll:

8 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

You literally went best case scenario and then some on every one of those picks.  I could just as easily go the other way and have a more valid argument.  It was a historically bad draft.  Tough to spin otherwise

I think the fact that we can both make valid arguments about the outcome of a rookie class’s first season shows the book hasn’t been written. Also, to say it’s historically bad isn’t fair when that determination won’t truly be mad for a couple more years.

Also, my response was mainly geared towards the guy saying this draft was done with the short term in mind. Based on the positions we picked I highly disagree with that.

Archived