• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Lot of Talk About LT ... Are You All Just Dismissing Greg Little?

SetfreexX

2 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

Have you looked at the Tackle "depth" in FA? Because this is why you look so off with your argument.

There are basically 2 guys who are going to be available worth a crap at LT. One is 32, and the other is 38. Neither of those guys are going to come cheap, or be around in 4 years when you're looking at another playoff run.

On the OTHER hand, there are plenty of NTs, and DL out there than can be signed young and do a serviceable job.

We don't need ''serviceable'' on defense, we were historically bad there. We need impact players there to build around as that side of the ball is re-tooled. You can't sit here with a straight face and say to me the OL is worse off than the defense. 

I anticipate Little as the starter, and veteran depth being added, that is where ''serviceable'' is likely to come into play, I'm not looking for a starter in FA for LT. I'm just reading the tea leaves / trends. 

The GM that traded up for Little is still here, and based on his presser regarded Little believes in him as a ''franchise LT'' based on that I think the team will go defense in the 1st. I also believe Little is a prospect worth giving that playing time to so long as he's met the team's off-season expectations. 

Like I have said MULTIPLE times, I'm not against OL at #7, I just don't think we are as bad off on the OL as people believe given Kyle Allen at QB, and the injuries upfront, not to mention the former staff's decisions on where players should play. 

In the end we will see...

I agree 100%. Our biggest FA acquisition should be a LG to help Little or Daley. You will have Little with the new FA to call our coverages and Daley is your insurance in case Little gets hurt. The offensive line will instantly look a lot better. Maybe get a center later in the draft that can learn/replace Paradis. Cam, CMC, Moore, Thomas, Samuel, and an improved line and the offense is looking solid. 

1 hour ago, SetfreexX said:

We also can't go into the season with gaping holes on defense, this is football, you have to play through / anticipate some injuries. OL at the moment is honestly deeper that the DL, and interior LB.

We can add OL depth via FA, and Day 2, but we need an impact player added to the defense, I believe Brown is that pick, with Simmons as another option, a lot of that depends on if Poe is retained IMO. 

I agree with everything. We just can’t depend on Little to be our full time starter so if we get a FA or day 2 I’m good. I think our better options would be Brown or Simmons at 7

Just to be clear, I don't give a flying, flaming rat's ass about whether expectations are unfair or standards are too high or any such bullsh-t.

I care about making sure that our quarterback is adequately protected.

Leaving that job in the hands of Greg Little makes me nervous as a cat.

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I agree 100%. Our biggest FA acquisition should be a LG to help Little or Daley. You will have Little with the new FA to call our coverages and Daley is your insurance in case Little gets hurt. The offensive line will instantly look a lot better. Maybe get a center later in the draft that can learn/replace Paradis. Cam, CMC, Moore, Thomas, Samuel, and an improved line and the offense is looking solid. 

This is where I am, LG has been a UDFA / WIlliam's off injury the last two season's -- it's been a huge hole on the OL since Norwell left, LT was finally addressed whether fans accept it or not most experts had Little as a 1st round talent to early 2nd (we drafted him in the projected range). 

With Butler's option declined, Poe off injury, and KK off injury with a contract out in a year or two - DL to me is an obvious choice to fill at #7. 

9 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

We don't need ''serviceable'' on defense, we were historically bad there. We need impact players there to build around as that side of the ball is re-tooled. You can't sit here with a straight face and say to me the OL is worse off than the defense. 

I anticipate Little as the starter, and veteran depth being added, that is where ''serviceable'' is likely to come into play, I'm not looking for a starter in FA for LT. I'm just reading the tea leaves / trends. 

The GM that traded up for Little is still here, and based on his presser regarded Little believes in him as a ''franchise LT'' based on that I think the team will go defense in the 1st. I also believe Little is a prospect worth giving that playing time to so long as he's met the team's off-season expectations. 

Like I have said MULTIPLE times, I'm not against OL at #7, I just don't think we are as bad off on the OL as people believe given Kyle Allen at QB, and the injuries upfront, not to mention the former staff's decisions on where players should play. 

In the end we will see...

Was there a woosh sound as the point went past you?

The OTs available are:

* TOO OLD

* COST TOO MUCH

The DTs available are:

* Under 30

* Much cheaper

* Starter (and some even Pro Bowl) quality that can fit in long term

Our defense was scary bad because our DL was scary bad. You can fix part of that in FA, and the draft.

Our LT position was, and has been scary bad for almost a decade now. You CAN'T fix that in FA, but you can fix it in the draft.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Just to be clear, I don't give a flying, flaming rat's ass about whether expectations are unfair or standards are too high or any such bullsh-t.

I care about making sure that our quarterback is adequately protected.

Leaving that job in the hands of Greg Little makes me nervous as a cat.

An OL is 5 players working together as 1, it's not just one guy, the OL was bad as a unit, Kyle was bad as a QB. 

I think a healthy little is an upgrade over Daley who played well as a rookie overall as well. At some point a young guy is going to play LT whether it's Little or #7 it's still an unproven commodity. 

So really no matter the case based on your posts you'd still be as nervous as a cat...

3 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

This is where I am, LG has been a UDFA / WIlliam's off injury the last two season's -- it's been a huge hole on the OL since Norwell left, LT was finally addressed whether fans accept it or not most experts had Little as a 1st round talent to early 2nd (we drafted him in the projected range). 

With Butler's option declined, Poe off injury, and KK off injury with a contract out in a year or two - DL to me is an obvious choice to fill at #7. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/greg-little

Except that people had him as high as a mid to late 1st rounder, and all the way far back as a mid 3rd day pick.

Even the people who like him said he was boom or bust, and he has a ton of red flags.

You can't simply look at the positives and ignore the negatives and act like everything is sunshine and rainbows.

Just now, SetfreexX said:

An OL is 5 players working together as 1, it's not just one guy, the OL was bad as a unit, Kyle was bad as a QB. 

I think a healthy little is an upgrade over Daley who played well as a rookie overall as well. At some point a young guy is going to play LT whether it's Little or #7 it's still an unproven commodity. 

So really no matter the case based on your posts you'd still be as nervous as a cat...

Given who's in charge of building the OL, i have reason to be.

But for the record, saying the rest of the OL is bad too doesn't really make Little any better.

2 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

Was there a woosh sound as the point went past you?

The OTs available are:

* TOO OLD

* COST TOO MUCH

The DTs available are:

* Under 30

* Much cheaper

* Starter (and some even Pro Bowl) quality that can fit in long term

Our defense was scary bad because our DL was scary bad. You can fix part of that in FA, and the draft.

Our LT position was, and has been scary bad for almost a decade now. You CAN'T fix that in FA, but you can fix it in the draft.

This is the difference in me being willing to let Little's draft selection play out vs you seemingly being all in on #7 being a LT. We used the EXACT SAME logic you just provided towards the DL the past few seasons, and to be fair had mixed results due to scheme / heath.

The DTs available are:

* Under 30 - Poe two years ago when he replaced Star (I think he's 29 now or just hitting 30)

* Much cheaper - Kyle Love

* Starter (and some even Pro Bowl) quality that can fit in long term - Gerald McCoy

At this point it's time to build around Shaq / Burns, that means we solidify the defensive line. No one is saying not to address the OL, I just think #7 is not the place based on what we have available. 

We literally have 2 3-4 DL under contract (BOTH COMING OFF IR), each right at or above 30 years of age, fun fact even though Poe has I believe 2-3 years more NFL experience, he is still younger than KK. 

7 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Yeah, if Brown is there it’s a no brainer to me. If he isn’t then we trade down or look at the Ohio St CB or Simmons. We will get a solid piece somewhere on defense. I need to look more into Kinlaw. Right now he seems a little “one year wonder” for me to take in the top 10...

I think people are disregarding how much having a weak left interior side of the line really hurt our left tackles. Moton looked solid on the right and looked completely overmatched when he switched to the left for half of a game last year. Could the defense being able to bull rush our left side at will make a left tackle's job more challenging? Little getting healthy happened to coincide with GVR getting hurt, and when you have a talent drop off by losing Van Roten, that says something about your interior line play. I suspect not only will Little get better and healthier, but hopefully we can improve our interior line to get him more help. 

I'm not opposed to getting a mid-priced stop gap tackle as backup in case Little doesn't progress or can't stay healthy. But at pick 7, I want an impact day 1 starter that is leaps and bounds above what we currently have and will be the core for our future for years to come. Is there any doubt at all that someone like Derrick Brown or Isaiah Simmons fits that bill? Any? That's why I would prefer one of those two. If we have a chance to take the best tackle prospect and both those players are gone, I wouldn't be mad if we took the tackle then. 

1 hour ago, bababoey said:

Little played well early before getting 18485893475754 concussions.  But you do realize with all the numbers you are putting up about pressure rate that in 1 game last year ( Atlanta I think) Little gave up 14 pressures and 2 sacks.  That's not for the season mind you that is for 1 game.  So anytime people say Little is the answer I pump the brakes.

With a stat from a website that didn't attribute a strip sack to Little that was obviously his fault in that game. 

But hey, let's put all of our eggs in a broken basket and pretend to be surprised when it doesn't work out.

Archived