• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Lot of Talk About LT ... Are You All Just Dismissing Greg Little?

SetfreexX

Gentlemen, was just curious I see a lot of threads / comments saying we need a LT, however we traded up for Greg Little at the top of the second, he came in as a top rated LT in last years draft (https://walterfootball.com/draft2019OT.php) and had one of the best pressure %'s allowed coming out of college: 

Since 2017 – Panthers OT Greg Little allowed a pressure on just 2.8% of his pass blocks – the fourth-best rate in the 2019 class

View image on Twitter

As a rookie Greg was only on the field in four games total, and started three - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LittGr01.htm

I can understand the concern after what we saw last year but much like Taylor Moton (a former 2nd round pick that we traded up for) you gotta give guys time, I think it's hard to acknowledge the pick as a bad one simply because this young man was injured most of his rookie year. Considering he's only 22 turning 23 there is a lot of potential to still develop in this young lineman. 

On the OL my attention in on the interior as the QB needs to be able to climb / step up on the pocket, LG is an area of concern and one I believe we need to address in FA / Day 2 of the draft. I believe with a full off-season dedicated to football activities and not rehab Paradis will also return to form. 

Little / FA or Draft / Paradis / Turner / Moton 

This is an OL that I think we will be able to work well with as the young guys should continue to improve, and Turner is still under 30 as well, I'd rather see the defense get some attention because we have glaring needs at DL / ILB / CB -- and the talent at the top of the draft align with those needs and fit BPA. 

Don't short sell the fact that we also had essentially a rookie QB under-center who regularly held the ball, and took sacks with receivers open, having a veteran presence returning under center will also boost this group as well as the offense Brady is bringing in (most believe). This OL blocked for a 1K rusher, and allowed enough time for DJ to become a 1K receiver in 15 games, not to mention CMC as well. I like the new regime's thoughts / direction based on recent interviews, and look forward to seeing where we go from here. 

I would not hate a LT at 7, I just think we have the makings of a good OL given 1) health and 2) IOL improvement. 

2 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Gentlemen, was just curious I see a lot of threads / comments saying we need a LT, however we traded up for Greg Little at the top of the second, he came in as a top rated LT in last years draft (https://walterfootball.com/draft2019OT.php) and had one of the best pressure %'s allowed coming out of college: 

Since 2017 – Panthers OT Greg Little allowed a pressure on just 2.8% of his pass blocks – the fourth-best rate in the 2019 class

View image on Twitter

As a rookie Greg was only on the field in four games total, and started three - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LittGr01.htm

I can understand the concern after what we saw last year but much like Taylor Moton (a former 2nd round pick that we traded up for) you gotta give guys time, I think it's hard to acknowledge the pick as a bad one simply because this young man was injured most of his rookie year. Considering he's only 22 turning 23 there is a lot of potential to still develop in this young lineman. 

On the OL my attention in on the interior as the QB needs to be able to climb / step up on the pocket, LG is an area of concern and one I believe we need to address in FA / Day 2 of the draft. I believe with a full off-season dedicated to football activities and not rehab Paradis will also return to form. 

Little / FA or Draft / Paradis / Turner / Moton 

This is an OL that I think we will be able to work well with as the young guys should continue to improve, and Turner is still under 30 as well, I'd rather see the defense get some attention because we have glaring needs at DL / ILB / CB -- and the talent at the top of the draft align with those needs and fit BPA. 

Don't short sell the fact that we also had essentially a rookie QB under-center who regularly held the ball, and took sacks with receivers open, having a veteran presence returning under center will also boost this group as well as the offense Brady is bringing in (most believe). This OL blocked for a 1K rusher, and allowed enough time for DJ to become a 1K receiver in 15 games, not to mention CMC as well. I like the new regime's thoughts / direction based on recent interviews, and look forward to seeing where we go from here. 

I would not hate a LT at 7, I just think we have the makings of a good OL given 1) health and 2) IOL improvement. 

Can he stay healthy and play more than 2 games?

Kid was Raw coming out, dont let those #s fool you, just turn on the tape.

And is 1 concussion away from being Michael Oher 2.0.

Moton is at RT, is about to become a FA, and also has ability to play OG (very similar to Peat in Nola)

Im not keeping the faith that he is going to turn out into anything just yet or you could he burned like Donte Jackson this year..

I want a solid OL.  Doesnt have to be probowlers across the board.  But at least good players, and especially dont want 2 bad players starting beside each other.

If you can get an elite OT and Little turns out, you can still play the guy RT or LG.  Just get your best 5 OL on the field.

And He11 no is a raw 2nd round prospect who had major concussions issues his rookie year going to detour me from drafting an elite OL.

We didn’t forget about him, but based off last seasons performance and lack of playing time we cannot DEPEND on him to be our full time starter. That’s one of the most important positions on the O line, and if we go Into the season with no one else to compete with him or without anyone who is talented enough to start, it could be yet another disaster decision at LT

8 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Kid was Raw coming out, dont let those #s fool you, just turn on the tape.

And is 1 concussion away from being Michael Oher 2.0.

Moton is at RT, is about to become a FA, and also has ability to play OG (very similar to Peat in Nola)

Im not keeping the faith that he is going to turn out into anything just yet or you could he burned like Donte Jackson this year..

I want a solid OL.  Doesnt have to be probowlers across the board.  But at least good players, and especially dont want 2 bad players starting beside each other.

If you can get an elite OT and Little turns out, you can still play the guy RT or LG.  Just get your best 5 OL on the field.

And He11 no is a raw 2nd round prospect who had major concussions issues his rookie year going to detour me from drafting an elite OL.

Micheal Oher played like 10 seasons before being applesauce.

we should be so lucky if Little worked out like that.

8 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

We didn’t forget about him, but based off last seasons performance and lack of playing time we cannot DEPEND on him to be our full time starter. That’s one of the most important positions on the O line, and if we go Into the season with no one else to compete with him or without anyone who is talented enough to start, it could be yet another disaster decision at LT

We also can't go into the season with gaping holes on defense, this is football, you have to play through / anticipate some injuries. OL at the moment is honestly deeper that the DL, and interior LB.

We can add OL depth via FA, and Day 2, but we need an impact player added to the defense, I believe Brown is that pick, with Simmons as another option, a lot of that depends on if Poe is retained IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Putting yourself in the position of having to depend on someone who hasn't proven to be dependable is a bad (and frankly stupid) thing to do.

After a season dealing with the ankle / concussions...we deem a guy undependable now...

There are examples on both ends, but if you think they're going to ignore the investment you might just be ''as stupid'' I don't see any of these tackles getting the same love the kid that went to CIN got last year who suffered the ACL tear as a rookie (Jonah Williams I believe is his name). 

If you keep allocated the top resources you are bound to fail in other areas that also require as much or more attention, and that too me is stupid. :eyeroll:

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Putting yourself in the position of having to depend on someone who hasn't proven to be dependable is a bad (and frankly stupid) thing to do.

Drafting an OT at #7 is doing just that.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-mock-draft-jerry-jeudy-new-york-giants-ceedee-lamb-arizona-cardinals

"..Over the past five NFL seasons, only nine rookie offensive tackles have played 400-plus snaps and earned overall grades above 70.0. None have earned an overall grade above 82.0. Don't address pressing needs in the draft; just draft the best players available.."

4 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

After a season dealing with the ankle / concussions...we deem a guy undependable now...

There are examples on both ends, but if you think they're going to ignore the investment you might just be ''as stupid'' I don't see any of these tackles getting the same love the kid that went to CIN got last year who suffered the ACL tear as a rookie (Jonah Williams I believe is his name). 

If you keep allocated the top resources you are bound to fail in other areas that also require as much or more attention, and that too me is stupid. :eyeroll:

On what basis would we deem him "dependable"?

Draft position doesn't mean jack sh-t if a guy isn't good, at least not to a smart team.

I'll be interested to see how they perform given they're going through their first full professional offseason but... 

LT, LG, and Center all need upgrades.  Paradis' contract makes it appealing to draft a center instead of signing another given we have Larsen as the swing backup a C/G. 

We need to prioritize all three positions. 

Archived