• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

9 minutes ago, stirs said:

What mitigation efforts are the Feds in charge of vs state and local?

The federal can restrict travel.  States cannot.  NYC's hands were tied.  They did not have the right to shut down the airports and shut down the highways.  Any disease monitoring of people traveling within or to the U.S. is all in the jurisdiction of the federal gov't.  The states cannot overstep that jurisdiction.

2 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

That's alot of words without an answer.  So let's take the 30,000 number.  How many ventilators do you think they actually need?  More than 30,000 and that's just the remainder?  Less than 30,000?  Exactly 30,000?

What makes you think I have the answer to this question?

3 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

That's alot of words without an answer.  So let's take the 30,000 number.  How many ventilators do you think they actually need?  More than 30,000 and that's just the remainder?  Less than 30,000?  Exactly 30,000?

What does this even mean?  I don't understand the point you're trying to make.  They need ventilators, estimated at 30,000 at this point.  

4 minutes ago, Bostonheelfish said:

What makes you think I have the answer to this question?

You seem pretty sure of yourself, so I figured you had given this some thought and done some research.  I guess you are just speaking from emotion and not facts.

23 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

From what I read Elon Musk set up a shop to build some medical equipment and has already started sending it out.  So I'd imagine its not that difficult.  the key is getting in touch with the right machinery people and having the space available to set up shop.

Depends on what type of equipment you are talking about.  Hanes expects to be able to produce 500,000 surgical masks a week in a couple of weeks.  But ventilators like GM and Ford are going to try and make, well that will be more difficult.  

I saw that Musk got 1200 ventilators from china, haven't seen anything about him setting up shop to build them, but maybe he did. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Depends on what type of equipment you are talking about.  Hanes expects to be able to produce 500,000 surgical masks a week in a couple of weeks.  But ventilators like GM and Ford are going to try and make, well that will be more difficult.  

I saw that Musk got 1200 ventilators from china, haven't seen anything about him setting up shop to build them, but maybe he did. 

Thanks for the clarification.  When I read "Tesla to build ventilators" and "Elon Musk delivers ventilators" I put the two together, not realizing they were separate issues.

25 minutes ago, Bostonheelfish said:

The federal can restrict travel.  States cannot.  NYC's hands were tied.  They did not have the right to shut down the airports and shut down the highways.  Any disease monitoring of people traveling within or to the U.S. is all in the jurisdiction of the federal gov't.  The states cannot overstep that jurisdiction.

In the end, whether Dem or Pub, Fed or State, there are going to be lots of things to learn from  something that comes from left field.  I don't trust pols with what they do see coming, much less the things that they cannot.  Nobody in the world was ready for this. 

And NYC is the land version of the USS Petri Dish.  I am not sure what kinds of efforts would work there short of putting them in jail, which was floated because they would not close the bars.  Everyone is going to have it.  That is why I said take the draconian measures with the at risk folks and provide for them.  Social distancing in NYC is quite impossible.

• Beer 1

28 minutes ago, stirs said:

In the end, whether Dem or Pub, Fed or State, there are going to be lots of things to learn from  something that comes from left field.  I don't trust pols with what they do see coming, much less the things that they cannot.  Nobody in the world was ready for this. 

And NYC is the land version of the USS Petri Dish.  I am not sure what kinds of efforts would work there short of putting them in jail, which was floated because they would not close the bars.  Everyone is going to have it.  That is why I said take the draconian measures with the at risk folks and provide for them.  Social distancing in NYC is quite impossible.

We won't know the success of social distancing for a while, but people are staying in their apartments.  I went to CVS at midnight last night, and Manhattan was as quiet as I've ever heard.  No one was outside, hardly any traffic etc.  Target is controlling the flow of customers into the store to allow for social distancing to occur while inside the store, and the lines outside have people spread apart at least six feet.  It's very real here, and people are taking it seriously.  There's obviously bozos everywhere, but the hardest part will be preventing another spread after quarantine is over (whenever that is).

6 minutes ago, Inimicus said:

Automakers making ventilators is weird when you have a dozen or more organization that make CPAP/BiPAP machines.  I would have thought ResMed would be in a better position to build that type of equipment than GM.

I would assume those companies are already running at 100% capacity and cranking out as many as they possibly can. If this pandemic goes as bad as it possibly could go, then we're not talking about needing a few more. We're talking about needing exponentially more than we currently have.

5 minutes ago, Inimicus said:

Automakers making ventilators is weird when you have a dozen or more organization that make CPAP/BiPAP machines.  I would have thought ResMed would be in a better position to build that type of equipment than GM.

In what I've read, it doesn't appear that GM, Ford, etc are just going to suddenly get into the respirator business.  They are working with medical equipment companies as a partnership, and giving them whatever assistance they need.  The auto makers would have instant access to a vast network of open space to build things, a ready made work force, contractors on speed dial to immediately install whatever is required for the machinery, etc.  They also mentioned the advanced 3D printers playing a part.

17 minutes ago, Bostonheelfish said:

We won't know the success of social distancing for a while, but people are staying in their apartments.  I went to CVS at midnight last night, and Manhattan was as quiet as I've ever heard.  No one was outside, hardly any traffic etc.  Target is controlling the flow of customers into the store to allow for social distancing to occur while inside the store, and the lines outside have people spread apart at least six feet.  It's very real here, and people are taking it seriously.  There's obviously bozos everywhere, but the hardest part will be preventing another spread after quarantine is over (whenever that is).

I think of elevators being touched, hand rails and places like Chinatown, where everyone opens their shops.  Food delivery and such will have to be sooooo coordinated to feed people in NY confined to their apts.  Big task

6 minutes ago, stirs said:

I think of elevators being touched, hand rails and places like Chinatown, where everyone opens their shops.  Food delivery and such will have to be sooooo coordinated to feed people in NY confined to their apts.  Big task

I hear you.  What bothers me are the joggers running on the sidewalks right now hacking their desperate breathes everywhere where people are walking for their necessities