• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

50 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I'm not sure that it's all straight up fuging evil. Companies work off contracts and they may simply not be able to guarantee a job when employees come back if too many employees leave for 12 weeks and they can't fulfill their obligations. Is it better to go ahead and let them go or do you let them take unpaid leave and fire them when the 12 weeks are up because all your contracts went somewhere else because you couldn't meet demand. It's a hard thing to consider, I've had to do it myself in the past couple of days. It's a situation I'm definitely losing sleep over and I don't have to worry about the threshold. 

Call me crazy but even in your doomsday scenario of being fired the minute I walk back in the door in 12 weeks I'd rather have that happen and get thru the current epidemic than get fired immediately and not be able to find a job right now because nobody is hiring.

12 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

This sucks, sorry it happened.

She hasn't been laid off. Yet. I wouldn't be surprised in the least though if she is laid off early next week to just beat the deadline. She has some crucial projects going on right now that she's really the only person there who has the ability to complete them and I pretty much told her to make sure they don't get wrapped up prior to next Wednesday.

11 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

Call me crazy but even in your doomsday scenario of being fired the minute I walk back in the door in 12 weeks I'd rather have that happen and get thru the current epidemic than get fired immediately and not be able to find a job right now because nobody is hiring.

I'm the opposite. Just tell me the truth. Don't BS me. Give me a chance to look for something else during those 12 weeks I'm confined or find a way to make an opportunity for myself. If at the end of 12 weeks, I can be brought back on and I have nothing else, great. If not, you've done right by me by being honest. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/09/813641072/u-s-flu-season-beginning-to-ease-modelers-say

So, if I am reading this correctly, the entire world deaths from Coronavirus so far (23,000), is just now catching up to the US death toll from seasonal flu?  Maybe I am reading it wrong.

Is that what you guys are reading?

Edited by stirs

6 minutes ago, stirs said:

COVID-19 causes more severe disease than seasonal influenza.

While many people globally have built up immunity to seasonal flu strains, COVID-19 is a new virus to which no one has immunity. That means more people are susceptible to infection, and some will suffer severe disease.

Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died. By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected.

6 minutes ago, stirs said:

This is good and expected given the time of year. It'll both serve to reduce the strain on our healthcare system as well as hopefully make COVID-19 cases easier to identify. If you got this stuff a month ago, it was pretty much assumed to be a cold or flu until proven otherwise. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Don't give them your business in the future. They don't deserve it.

And maybe remember the businesses that tried to help. 

Texas Roadhouse CEO gives up salary for rest of year as coronavirus outbreak hurts restaurant industry

https://www.live5news.com/2020/03/26/texas-roadhouse-ceo-gives-up-salary-rest-year-coronavirus-outbreak-hurts-restaurant-industry/

• Pie 1

Just now, trueblade said:

Texas Roadhouse CEO gives up salary for rest of year as coronavirus outbreak hurts restaurant industry

https://www.live5news.com/2020/03/26/texas-roadhouse-ceo-gives-up-salary-rest-year-coronavirus-outbreak-hurts-restaurant-industry/

Times like these reveal who people (and businesses) really are, the good and the bad.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Don't forget your small locally owned restaurants too. Some here are operating at cost just to keep their employees working during all of this and are giving great specials on take out. Some are doing take home you bake meals too. As a small business owner, I'm trying desperately to use what I am spending to prop up the little guys as best I can. 

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Times like these reveal who people (and businesses) really are, the good and the bad.

During the recession in 2008/2009 the President of the company I was working for stopped taking his salary, while at the same time fighting to keep most of our staff in tact even when many people had nothing to do all day.  The only reason I know about his salary is because I happen to see a printed email sitting on the Operations Manager's desk.  Apparently the President went straight to the CFO and told her to cut off his salary, but don't tell anyone.  The Operations Manager was checking overhead/labor costs and noticed something wasn't right.  He sent an email to the CFO, and the CFO let him know what had happened.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1