• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

9 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Agreed that the risk is as much to the adults as to the students. In Florida, 1/3 of all kids currently tested are positive. Regarding masks and hygiene there is no way kids, particularly younger elementary kids, can fully comply. Many just don't have the maturity yet and can't stop themselves from doing things that would compromise the protective measures.

Also, simply surviving doesn't guarantee damage-free with COVID. No one wants to see their kids with permanent effects, so even if chances are low it should be weighed. The seasonal flu doesn't leave people with wrecked lungs.

Here's an article about the current Florida situation. They are an extreme example at the moment but also perhaps an indicator of where things may be headed in more places. There could also be confounding/related factors to be considered with those numbers but any way of it kids are generally in school, so any kid tested would be in that environment. I would also wonder about the timing of those positives and antibodies/re-infection risk in those who have already been infected.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-pbc-health-director-covid-children-20200714-xcdall2tsrd4riim2nwokvmsxm-story.html

"State statistics also show the percentage of children testing positive is much higher than the population as a whole. Statewide, about 31% of 54,022 children tested have been positive. The state’s positivity rate for the entire population is about 11%."

Youth hospitalizations are 1% of confirmed cases of >18-years and 4 related deaths according to the stats in that article.  So are we keeping kids at home until a vaccine is developed?  The goalposts keep moving...first it was deaths, then ICU capacity, then overall hospitalizations and now is squarely on case numbers.  Really?  I guess people can finally win the case argument because the disease has to basically just go away for that to be a positive indicator.  

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

This place is so freaking transparent.  On one hand, "look at the science!" and then when science is inconvenient, "but the science isn't clear on that!"

It’s possible to have good data on one thing and not enough on another.

Again, the issue is, do kids spread it? They probably do, but we don’t  have a good study on that yet as far as I know.

As a dad to a 6 year old, I really hope she can go to school full time.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Youth hospitalizations are 1% of confirmed cases of >18-years and 4 related deaths according to the stats in that article.  So are we keeping kids at home until a vaccine is developed?  The goalposts keep moving...first it was deaths, then ICU capacity, then overall hospitalizations and now is squarely on case numbers.  Really?  I guess people can finally win the case argument because the disease has to basically just go away for that to be a positive indicator.  

AB22546D-ED8D-4045-A1CC-E8E1F1CBE907.jpeg

Edited by Tbe

7 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I have not taken any position on this subject nor moved any goalposts, though I acknowledged that the risks are as much to the adults as to the kids. However, what risk is tolerable when it comes to permanent damage to children (or anyone) for something that can be avoided by staying home/doing online schooling and should the teachers and school staff be obligated into a much higher risk situation given that kids can't be trusted to follow protocols?  It's as much a philosophical question as practical one.

We've been able to minimize risks of things like MMR, polio, etc through vaccines and in many places kids can't go without that protection. Should this be different when the protection is avoiding the situation?

Edited by KSpan

2 minutes ago, KSpan said:

I have not taken any position on this subject nor moved any goalposts, though I acknowledged that the risks are as much to the adults as to the kids. However, what risk is tolerable when it comes to permanent damage to children (or anyone) for something that can be avoided by staying home/doing online schooling and should the teachers and school staff be obligated into a much higher risk situation given that kids can't be trusted to follow protocols?  It's as much a philosophical question as practical one.

We've been able to minimize risks of things like MMR, polio, etc through vaccines and in many places kids can't go without that protection. Should this be different when the protection is avoiding the situation?

The goalpost moving was directed to the crowd arguing to keep kids home in the fall in the broader context of the COVID-19 dialogue. Notice I didn't say 'you' are moving the goalposts.

However it does seem like you are advocating to keep kids home until (if) a vaccine is developed.  It has been demonstrated grade school kids fall behind in on-line learning.  So by keeping parents home foregoing jobs, or putting them in daycare (how is that more sanitary than school?) in hopes a vaccine is right around the corner seems a bit over the top.   The secondary damage done to the body due to COVID-19 is in the exact same demographic that is the most vulnerable, the elderly.  I have yet to see where kids are showing signs of permanent damage linked to this disease.  Teachers know how to protect themselves, so let's not fain we are protecting teachers here.  Positive COVID-19 kids have to stay home until cleared and the schools can't hold it against their attendance (just like jobs can't hold it against employee attendance).  What's so hard about that?  Kids shed the virus faster than adults, usually 7-10 days.

MMR and polio took forever to develop a vaccine.  Yes, they are available now, but it's not like they were developed in mere months upon research like we are trying to do with this disease.  If we are waiting on a vaccine, the entire 2020-2021 school year (at best) will be lost....on-line, but essentially lost.  

30 minutes ago, Tbe said:

AB22546D-ED8D-4045-A1CC-E8E1F1CBE907.jpeg

*Professional writer /story.  See the funny thing about statistics is you have to have a hypothesis and verify it for any findings to be further extrapolated to have any meaning.  His argument is flawed from the rip.  Nobody honestly thinks nearly 3.3 million US citizens is dying from this so his continued cranking out of numbers is pointless.  

10 hours ago, Inimicus said:

https://www.slashgear.com/the-cdc-director-just-dropped-a-bombshell-on-covid-19-mask-wearing-14629044/

Wanna "normal" life and help the economy recover?

WEAR A FUCKING MASK

It's so painfully simple. Yet we have people just flat out refusing to do it or engaging in mental gymnastics to convince themselves and others why maybe they shouldn't. Just wear the mask. This isn't a personal liberty issue and it's ridiculous to make it out to be one.

Yelling, "wear a mask" to the 12 people in a computer message board thread, who are already wearing a mask, seems like such a good use of time.

Course we are all home with nothing to do, except Fiz, so go ahead.  Maybe it should self post, like on a timer, you know, every hour or so, just so the 12 of us won't somehow wake up and not know

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, stirs said:

Yelling, "wear a mask" to the 12 people in a computer message board thread, who are already wearing a mask, seems like such a good use of time.

Course we are all home with nothing to do, except Fiz, so go ahead.  Maybe it should self post, like on a timer, you know, every hour or so, just so the 12 of us won't somehow wake up and not know

Constantly evoking whataboutisms and pseudo-science is a far better use of time?