• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm honestly glad I'm not in governors' shoes right now to make these calls, but I understand why there's such a push to reopen economies right now. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't right now. Reopen too soon and you'll create a second wave. Don't reopen soon enough and you've recreated the Great Depression.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-recession-turning-into-the-great-depression-ii-amid-job-losses-141615099.html

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bad-might-think-great-depression-110009141.html

What we really need is a widespread testing program with contact tracing and for people to actually adhere to social distancing guidelines, wear masks, and wash their damn hands. But vaguely understanding the stupidity of the average person, good luck with that.

NC not really doing antibodies tests yet.

Want to hear about your experience

27 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm honestly glad I'm not in governors' shoes right now to make these calls, but I understand why there's such a push to reopen economies right now. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't right now. Reopen too soon and you'll create a second wave. Don't reopen soon enough and you've recreated the Great Depression.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-recession-turning-into-the-great-depression-ii-amid-job-losses-141615099.html

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bad-might-think-great-depression-110009141.html

What we really need is a widespread testing program with contact tracing and for people to actually adhere to social distancing guidelines, wear masks, and wash their damn hands. But vaguely understanding the stupidity of the average person, good luck with that.

This sounds just the Georgia governor. He wants to reopen many places that will have crowding like a normal day but the county I live in has had more cases and deaths along with the neighboring county. I hope the governor uses his common sense to keep the distancing in place a lot longer. 

13 minutes ago, stirs said:

Think it will be exponentially larger than people think.

This thing has been here a while, just mixing in w regular flu cases

https://news.yahoo.com/healthy-woman-suddenly-died-she-005652793.html

It definitely is. All the antibody testing done so far suggests that the real number of cases outpaces confirmed cases by several magnitudes, which makes sense given the overall lack of testing and the fact that most cases are either asymptomatic or relatively mild. Most of those people didn't qualify for a test anyway.

1 minute ago, PantherOnTheProwl1523 said:

This sounds just the Georgia governor. He wants to reopen many places that will have crowding like a normal day but the county I live in has had more cases and deaths along with the neighboring county. I hope the governor uses his common sense to keep the distancing in place a lot longer. 

The south is gonna be a problem. At least out here we have a high education rate, etc. I think the majority of people will listen. The south... oh wee mayne. 

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The south is gonna be a problem. At least out here we have a high education rate, etc. I think the majority of people will listen. The south... oh wee mayne. 

What makes the GA decision worse is that a lot of hospitals in rural GA (pretty much the whole state outside of ATL), have shut down over the past few years.  Article I read last week has the hospital in Athens now serving 17 counties.  That's nuts.

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You would think with the CDC being headquartered in GA that they would be a bit smarter than that

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I dont think its as much education as it is personal freedoms that many southerners arent willing to compromise.  But when I go out I see many wearing masks using hand gel and keeping social distance, so I think the message has hit home with the majority of people at least where I live.  

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Your "southern man" statement would not apply across the board.  Most of the ignorant azzes in the state are on the board, the rest know what's up

1 minute ago, jfra78 said:

I dont think its as much education as it is personal freedoms that many southerners arent willing to compromise.  But when I go out I see many wearing masks using hand gel and keeping social distance, so I think the message has hit home with the majority of people at least where I live.  

Nah, I think lack of education is a huge part of it. You can go out and enjoy those freedoms while still responsibly socially distancing, etc. It's not a black and white either/or issue, but to some people (stupid people) it is.

Just now, stirs said:

Your "southern man" statement would not apply across the board.  Most of the ignorant azzes in the state are on the board, the rest know what's up

Of course it's not across the board. Nothing is when making general statements.

But my dumbass family is pretty representative of the overall rural southern population and let me tell ya, it ain't promising.

Georgia Governor has really put on display how incompetent and careless he is. This is the same guy who many accused of being unethical and a criminal. He was in charge of the voting in Georgia during their big Gov election against Stacy Abrams and big surprise he won. 

Sharing some more stuff from my expert friend...

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.04.20053058v1

We identified only a single outbreak in an outdoor environment, which involved two cases. Conclusions: All identified outbreaks of three or more cases occurred in an indoor environment, which confirms that sharing indoor space is a major SARS-CoV-2 infection risk.

Below is why we're seeing a trend of doctors reevaluating the use of ventilators with this disease and holding off longer than they normally would before moving to the vent. If you're over 65 and go on a ventilator your chances of survival are very, very slim. If you're under 65, they're still pretty bad.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2765184?guestAccessKey=28639c30-edee-405e-9618-1be71e09426b&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social_jama&utm_term=3293878934&utm_campaign=article_alert&linkId=87122161

Mortality for those who received mechanical ventilation was 88.1% (n = 282). Mortality rates for those who received mechanical ventilation in the 18-to-65 and older-than-65 age groups were 76.4% and 97.2%, respectively.