• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top OTs in the draft - Wirfs/Wills

onmyown

I may be in the minority here but if Simmons, Okudah, Brown, and these two guys were still on the board I’d take Wirfs. And I wouldn’t be mad with Wills. 

As I’ve been saying for a while now (beating a dead horse) all 20 teams who made the super bowl in the last decade had a top 10 ranked oline (exception being the 2015 Broncos *punches self in balls*).

That’s a huge stat to me. 

I know it’s unreasonable to expect Hurney to admit Little may of been a mistake (or Armanti for that matter), or at least may not turn out, but I think he can try out for gaurd. Okung maybe has a year left. And I’d love to see him teach Wirfs, not Little, to be the future.

Anyways, it’s slow here on the huddle so here is what I think is a decent video on these two guys worth watching, the classic debate of higher ceiling/natural talent that requires coaching vs. more pro ready:

1 minute ago, MMA said:

You Crazy GIF by memecandy

I don't think it's all that crazy to be honest. We've already watched one franchise QB have his career altered by injuries in large part due to playing behind a poor OL season after season. We saw it happen to Luck in Indy too. We're probably going to draft another one within the next year or two. Wanna see history repeat itself? If we don't change our approach to building an OL there's a good chance that it will.

Great video. Wirfs looks like a freak athlete but needs a coach that believes they can coach him to his potential. Wills looks very good and polished. I would love either one of these guys for us. Both make Little look like a backup. 

Never a bad idea to get a top offensive tackle if he's available. Would be 100% cool with it. Not flashy but one of the most important positions and we have been screwing around and not addressing it for too long. You want Brady's offense to work, you need a stout offensive line 

24 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

Never a bad idea to get a top offensive tackle if he's available. Would be 100% cool with it. Not flashy but one of the most important positions and we have been screwing around and not addressing it for too long. You want Brady's offense to work, you need a stout offensive line 

I think that's what a lot of people are missing. If Brady wants to run a lot of four and five wide sets, you better have an OL. One of the things that made Burrow very successful in that offense is that he showed some Mahomes type ability to buy time with his legs and deliver some unbelievable throws on the move.

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think it's all that crazy to be honest. We've already watched one franchise QB have his career altered by injuries in large part due to playing behind a poor OL season after season. We saw it happen to Luck in Indy too. We're probably going to draft another one within the next year or two. Wanna see history repeat itself? If we don't change our approach to building an OL there's a good chance that it will.

Okung and Moton are the day 1 starter. Little is going to have his chance to compete and be the long term left or right tackle. Panthers fans complained and cried a lot about the kid but I like what I saw from Little last year. He was a rookie and didn’t even look close to as bad as Matt Kalil. What we need is not one, but “two” guards. Please tell me who our starting guards are. If Teddy is going to get kill this year, it’ll will be from the interior with Matt Paradis and the unknown guards. 

6 minutes ago, MMA said:

Okung and Moton are the day 1 starter. Little is going to have his chance to compete and be the long term left or right tackle. Panthers fans complained and cried a lot about the kid but I like what I saw from Little last year. He was a rookie and didn’t even look close to as bad as Matt Kalil. What we need is not one, but “two” guards. Please tell me who our starting guards are. If Teddy is going to get kill this year, it’ll will be from the interior with Matt Paradis and the unknown guards. 

I wouldn't be making decisions based on Teddy Bridgewater. I'd be trying to build a long-term OL for our next franchise QB.

14 minutes ago, MMA said:

Ideally I would not be upset if we went for a couple guards in Rounds 3-5 I did one mock and took centers in 3&4 . I wouldn't mind having a utility OL guy 

We're going to have to get lucky with the OL it seems.  In what looks to be a defense heavy draft for us, it's an absolute mistake if we don't touch the OL. 

Who on the current OL is for sure here after next year and proven anything?  Moton and...?  Paradis will be cut, Okung is expiring, Little/Daley who knows, and we've signed or have a JAG or two.  If the plan is to go all in for a QB next year with Lawrence or Fields, how are we getting an OL to put in front of them? We won't have the draft capital after what I assume would be a massive package to trade up for our QB.  So, FA might be the only answer as we re-sign CMC, Moore, Moton, etc. at the same time. 

The hardest thing about the draft is getting past the concept of instant gratification.

You draft for the next decade, not the next year.

To know that the answer at LT is on the roster is a huge plus. 

If you think 31-year old, one-year deal Okung and Greg, "don't hit me in the head" Little are the answer, and you had this opportunity and took a DT instead, it could haunt you for a decade.

These guys are RTs, but one was a RT because his qb was left handed. 

If drafts are not based on needs, what would you pick:  A franchise LT or a stud DT?  We will have that option.

There is a big part of me that wants a LT for the rebuild.  Do not discount the idea.

6 hours ago, Waldo said:

Great video. Wirfs looks like a freak athlete but needs a coach that believes they can coach him to his potential. Wills looks very good and polished. I would love either one of these guys for us. Both make Little look like a backup. 

Nice descriptions.  Wills is the best OT in the past decade.  I am in the closet about wanting him--knowing that we prolly won't do it. I really do not see Gettlemen passing on him, even if Simmons is on the board.

How do you justify taking Wills at #7?  Play him at RT for a season and move Moton to LG.  Moton is in a contract year, so you are not hemmed in if you can move Wills to LT or keep him at RT and play Little at LT.

However, I can say that I am not sold that the OL will be addressed, based on comments and free agency.  Gettlemen will probably take Wills in round 1 and Ruiz (C) in round 2.  His rep in NY is based on drafting Jones (QB) and he needs to protect him.

Archived