• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Bridgwater is anythign less than elite, the front office screwed up

AU-panther

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, there is. The problem is that it's called purgatory.

My biggest concern is the worst case scenario. That scenario being that Teddy is just good enough to keep us from being in a position to land a legit franchise QB prospect.

Ask LA how having the #1 pick at QB is working for them?

People seem to forget that there is no SURE THING in the draft. Tanking for the top pick I would argue destroys your team then helps build it up. 

People that want to tank should just become Cleveland fans.. 

2 minutes ago, BerryLoMein said:

My guess is they paid for culture.

No, they paid because he’s familiar with Brady’s system. A rebuild is accelerated when your QB knows your playbook language, shifts etc. Having a guy on the field be your right hand man helps. 

Aside from that, we aren’t a fantastic destination right now and we won’t be winning much any time soon. So we have to open up the pocketbook.

7 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

We're going to disagree there. I don't believe that this purgatory exists. 

It was called Delhome for a few years here. 2003 was real fun but we lost on the JAG and good D to win the title and then kept trying but had a QB that didn't average more than 250 yards and a TD a game....Purgatory exists and I don't want to go back no matter how awesome of a human being the JAG QB is. We don't have that D right now, or Oline to be honest. Ted last year on the Saints had 277 yards a game and 1.8 TDs....on the Saints.

4 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I don't think anyone could've predicted Winston signing for basically vet minimum...he clearly left quite a bit of money on the table with the objective of focusing on development under a coach/QB who could maximize this development, meaning he never would've signed here.

Dalton was still with the Bengals when FA began, meaning he wasn't an option either unless we just wanted to completely neglect the QB position in hopes that the Bengals would cut him later and that he would've signed here for extremely cheap...so he wasn't a realistic option.

Cam....um yeah....enough said.

In hindsight?  Yeah, I would've taken Jameis or Dalton at a fraction of what we paid Bridgewater, but those weren't realistic options at the time, nor would they likely have been options even if we waited to address QB.

Rolling with Grier?  That basically would've sent the message to our entire team that we were tanking...which would have established a losing culture for a brand new head coach.  Good luck getting guys to respect and play for Rhule if that was how he chose to kick off his coaching career.  "Hey guys...all I ask is for you to throw away one or two years of your career in this extremely violent sport where one snap could end your entire career.  Tank for Trevor babyyyy!!!".

You hit the nail on the head. People dont seem to understand that there are 51 other plays on their roster that are tying to win to better their careers and family situations. 

Tanking in the NFL doesn't work. 

Teddy is getting paid 20 mil this year and next with an out as a starter.  That is currently 17/32 in comparison to other league starters.  DIscount the 6 rookies deals for guys that will without a doubt get more and it's 17 out of 26 $ wise.  We're not strapped to him and he's not taking up an obcsene amount of cap space. 

This whole narrative that we paid him and aren't going to suck is really annoying.   We have no idea what will happen.  I'd much rather build the team first and be patient in acquiring the QB of the future whether it's the Clemson kid or not.  We have NO IDEA what the 2021 QB class is going to shape into yet.  Fields and Lawrence seem likely top guys but you never know what happens. Luck was touted as such and look as his career.

There's Trey Lance & Tanner Morgan that could turn it up.  Jamie Newman and Brock Purdy need to show growth but have huge upside.  Watch out for Chase Brice.  You just never know.  The more people shed this desire for Lawrence the better.  I'd rather build a juggernaut of a team while carefully targeting the exact QB we want for the system.  Meanwhile, Bridgewater should be fine. 

38 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

So many negative nancies on here just trying to spread negativity about every little thing just for the hell of it

It's been unbearable. 

He could at least do some basic research regarding what QBs are being paid first.

1 minute ago, saX man said:

Teddy is getting paid 20 mil this year and next with an out as a starter.  That is currently 17/32 in comparison to other league starters.  DIscount the 6 rookies deals for guys that will without a doubt get more and it's 17 out of 26 $ wise.  We're not strapped to him and he's not taking up an obcsene amount of cap space. 

This whole narrative that we paid him and aren't going to suck is really annoying.   We have no idea what will happen.  I'd much rather build the team first and be patient in acquiring the QB of the future whether it's the Clemson kid or not.  We have NO IDEA what the 2021 QB class is going to shape into yet.  Fields and Lawrence seem likely top guys but you never know what happens. Luck was touted as such and look as his career.

There's Trey Lance & Tanner Morgan could turn it up.  Jamie Newman and Brock Purdy need to show growth but have huge upside.  Watch out for Chase Brice.  You just never know.  There more people shed this desire for Lawrence the better.  I'd rather build a juggernaut of a team while carefully targeting the exact QB we want for the system.  Meanwhile, Bridgewater should be fine. 

Exactly. People forget that we 'sucked for luck' then he stayed in school. 

5 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

Ask LA how having the #1 pick at QB is working for them?

People seem to forget that there is no SURE THING in the draft. Tanking for the top pick I would argue destroys your team then helps build it up. 

People that want to tank should just become Cleveland fans

11-5 and 13-3 over the last two seasons.  I'll take that. That would be the best ever back to back seasons for the Panthers.

11 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

It's been unbearable. That's the mood that has been set forth by those that spend their lives here and the mods for a while though.

The list of posters begging you to stay:

tenor.gif?itemid=16076896

OP you are a little misguided. We had to offer TB starter money because that’s what he was getting offered elsewhere and by us signing one he knew Cam was gone and he wasn’t just a “seat warmer”. No mater the amount those guys got they went to competitive teams as insurance or to specifically be a back up. Big difference in money they get compared to a starter unfortunately. 

10 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

Exactly. People forget that we 'sucked for luck' then he stayed in school. 

But we got Cam and we were not sucking intentionally but because we were that bad anyways. We got out 1st and only franchise QB from the 2010 debocle, even if it was not the one were thought we were getting. 

Again being bad ≠ tanking for a QB. It's just highly likely and Ted is a Jag so being replaced will be a recurring theme for his time with us. 

Archived