• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

tEddY brIdgEwAtEr cAn't thrOw dEEp

Icege

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think all those are bad Teddy comparisons.   

I actually think overall in his career....Teddy is more of an Alex Smith type.   People will take that as a massive knock in some circles.  But it isn't intended to be that.   

Brees is just old now.  Brees overall has always had a risky mindset.  Teddy doesn't have that IMO. 

I think Alex Smith is likely Teddy's ceiling. Smith was pretty decent in KC, then again Andy Reid is probably the greatest QB coach of all-time.

https://theriotreport.com/dont-believe-the-hype-teddy-bridgewater-can-throw-the-deep-ball/

But the biggest concern is that Teddy apparently doesn’t throw the deep ball.

See, he’s had a narrative of being too conservative and not taking enough risks down the field. As I was investigating, I began to think that two things could potentially have fueled this narrative: first, in Minnesota during 2014 and 2015, he was playing with the absolute worst offensive line in the league in 2014 and 2015, as well as a bad receiving corps whose best option was rookie Stefon Diggs and a raw Adam Thielen that rarely saw playing time in those seasons. Second, the Saints offense last season was rarely known for throwing the ball deep, reflected in Drew Brees’ deep charting – in 11 games, Brees was only asked to throw the ball 30+ yards SIX times in 2019. 

The way I see it, there’s two sides to this: 2015 Teddy Bridgewater was not an inaccurate deep passer, though I will say it was rare to see him rip a pass of 31+ yards – but there were reasons for that. Last season, he threw nine passes of 21+ air yards, which in my charting counts as a deep pass. Nicely enough, six of those nine passes were accurate. Bridgewater didn’t have nearly enough deep attempts to qualify for the Deep Ball Project’s charting, but he would’ve ranked first in accuracy percentage with 66.67% (albeit an extremely small sample size).

You may remember that Kyle Allen finished dead last in deep ball accuracy last season.

It's almost like the people bagging on Teddy's ability to throw deep ignore facts in favor of narrative.

21 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He attempted 9 20+ yard passes over the course of 6 games and 196 pass attempts. 4.5% of his attempts were 20+ yards. That's one out of ever 22 attempts.

I mean, damn... that pretty much says it all.

I think it also depends on what type of offense is being run. We'll certainly get a chance to see if anything changes this year.

Linville: New Orleans' offense is clearly designed to get the ball out as quickly as possible.

Also Linville (in same thread): Wow look at this scrub Teddy not throwing it downfield more often!

It's almost like an offensive scheme designed around a 40-year-old QB, heavily featuring Kamara and Thomas doesn't include a ton of deep shots...hmm.  More than 80% of the Saints' completions went to running backs, tight ends, and Michael Thomas (who is hardly a deep threat).  I mean this is pretty basic Football 101 stuff.

Regardless of his deep ball ability, which we'll all find out about this season for sure, one area Teddy is going to impress Panther's fans is how cerebral he is. There are going to be plenty of times this year where Teddy has the defense beat before the ball is ever snapped. Even if the play doesn't work out, because of a dropped ball, or missed throw, even on those plays you're still going to be impressed because despite the play we still had the defense beat.

On 8/12/2020 at 4:37 PM, MasterAwesome said:

Linville: New Orleans' offense is clearly designed to get the ball out as quickly as possible.

Also Linville (in same thread): Wow look at this scrub Teddy not throwing it downfield more often!

It's almost like an offensive scheme designed around a 40-year-old QB, heavily featuring Kamara and Thomas doesn't include a ton of deep shots...hmm.  More than 80% of the Saints' completions went to running backs, tight ends, and Michael Thomas (who is hardly a deep threat).  I mean this is pretty basic Football 101 stuff.

You realize Teddy has been under contract with four NFL teams, right? 

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You realize Teddy has been under contract with four NFL teams, right? 

That’s not because of his ability to play QB though. It was his potential career ending injury that took years to overcome. The Saints couldn’t afford him and Brees once he showed he can still play. Had he never sustained that injury he would probably still be with the Vikings. So I get the “4 teams in a short amount of time” spill to make him look bad, but  he never really got healthy enough to play for the Jets and finally looked like his old self with the Saints, which is why our OC (who coached him with the Saints) wanted to pay him a solid contract. So if he can’t through it deep and isn’t any good because he has been passed around by 4 teams then Joe Brady must not know what he is doing?

8 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

That’s not because of his ability to play QB though. It was his potential career ending injury that took years to overcome. The Saints couldn’t afford him and Brees once he showed he can still play. Had he never sustained that injury he would probably still be with the Vikings. So I get the “4 teams in a short amount of time” spill to make him look bad, but  he never really got healthy enough to play for the Jets and finally looked like his old self with the Saints, which is why our OC (who coached him with the Saints) wanted to pay him a solid contract. So if he can’t through it deep and isn’t any good because he has been passed around by 4 teams then Joe Brady must not know what he is doing?

Say what?

Good young players don't bounce around the league. How many sub-30 year old QBs can you recall that suddenly became legit starting QBs on their 4th team?

Teddy is here because he's familiar with Brady's system. He's here to help the install. Unless he wildly exceeds expectations, he's a stop gap. Look at his contract. It's a stop gap contract.

Sorry some of y'all want to live in a world of homer delusion.

Archived